Post-Ban HBAR for the 1 MOA All-Day Challenge?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I’ve done extensive (way too much actually) searching on this topic, but thought I’d come to the source here. My requirements can’t be that peculiar, but maybe they are. I want to try my hand at precision shooting with an AR15, but only really have access to the 100 and 200yd ranges at AGC.

I’m looking for a barrel that is:
    • Compliant for MD post-2013 rifle build
    • 16” – it will wear a suppressor at least part of the time, so OAL is a factor
    • 5.56 or .223 Wylde or some chamber that will shoot 77 SMKs a la Federal Gold Medal Match, Mk272 and their clones
    • Precise enough that with the right ammo and optic, the shooter (me) is the only thing standing between it and

I don’t want anything other than those specs, or as close as possible. So:
    • NOT a “maybe” compliant barrel (MDSP flip-flopping notwithstanding)
    • NOT a barrel I’d have to use on one of my pre-ban lowers
    • NOT a 18” or 20” (not going to shoot it past 200yds if at all)
    • NOT a 15.9” or shorter (not going to put it on an SBR, or pin my suppressor mount)
    • NOT a .300BO, 6.5, 6.8, 6.9 or whatever
    • NOT something that will require handloading. Unfortunately, I don’t have the space/facilities to reload, and may never.

Some things that are not a factor:
    • Brand name. I’ll take anyone who’s building quality today
    • Weight. I’m not a city boy, not a hunter, so I won’t be climbing into the mountains to shoot yak or anything
    • Finish/color – stainless, bead blasted, black, FDE, doesn’t matter. It will be covered by a 15” Geissele Mk4, and if any shows through it will get a spray of Aluma Hyde II or hi-temp engine paint.
    • Cost. Not that I’m made of money, but after investing a few hours searching online, I could just work a weekend of OT and get a decent barrel. $250 would be great, but $400 is doable. Other parts will be similar quality, but no bling.
    • Ammunition requirements. I plan on investing in factory 77 grain ammo, so if barrel makers specify top-quality stuff to ensure accuracy, I’m prepared for that.

Some maybes:
    • Gas system length. I was going to specify mid-length, but apparently there are at least two “intermediate” systems.
    • Fluting. If a barrel you like is fluted I’d consider it , but I don’t care one way or another. As above, weight is not a factor.
    • Gas block – barrel doesn’t need to come with one, since I have the Geissele

Anyway, who’s got a link to a good 100-200m barrel that’s truly sub-MoA with good ammo and glass? (We all know that most AR15 barrels are not/NOT sub-MOA with good ammo & glass, so no fish tales about your Del-Ton that shoots Wolf steel case ½” groups, please.) I spoke with oft-recommended Engage Armament, and it seems like what they have in stock right now is mostly barrels designed for carbines to meet the MDSP requirements, and still remain pointable.

The rifle will look something like these random photos found online. Same rail, and a magnified optic. Suppressor mounted nearly flush with the forend.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6337.jpg
      IMG_6337.jpg
      66.5 KB · Views: 669
    • IMG_6339.JPG
      IMG_6339.JPG
      34.3 KB · Views: 660
    Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    White Oak. Make it easy on yourself. Plenty of people use their uppers in competition, at distance - for score.

duffball

Jan 6, 2017
    Harford County
    Check out faxon.
    I ran across them when I was looking for the lightest HBAR I could find at a reasonable price.
    They state the weight is only 1.71 pounds.

I cant speak from personal experience with this barrel, but I'm planning on this one for my next build sometime this year.

http://faxonfirearms.com/match-seri...ngth-416r-nitride-5r-nickel-teflon-extension/

If you end up getting one, I would be interested in knowing how well it works out for you.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Check out faxon.
    I ran across them when I was looking for the lightest HBAR I could find at a reasonable price.
    They state the weight is only 1.71 pounds.

I cant speak from personal experience with this barrel, but I'm planning on this one for my next build sometime this year.

http://faxonfirearms.com/match-seri...ngth-416r-nitride-5r-nickel-teflon-extension/

If you end up getting one, I would be interested in knowing how well it works out for you.

I'm going to point out that that's a "heavy fluted" barrel, not a "heavy barrel" that's fluted. Someone here asked Faxon about it and posted in a different thread.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    WOA, Engage built a nice upper for me with one of their barrels. If the idiot involved does his part, MOA easily with right load.

duffball

Jan 6, 2017
    Harford County

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Faxton says "heavy fluted" barrel. How can the fluting of the barrel be heavy if the barrel is not heavy? Heavy fluting in a light barrel creates holes!! Of course, heavy fluting in a heavy barrel makes the barrel light(er).

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Well, ok. No fish tales. This happened for real. Del-Ton at 50 yards, iron sights, Wolf...... Gold. :D
    See, now that is a reasonable, believable group. About 2" or so at 50yds? So 4-5" at 100yds, which I believe is the original military specification for precision from a rack-grade M16A2 with green tip.

You probably shot to the maximum mechanical precision of that rifle. :thumbsup:

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide

Also you may want to consider a dissipator instead of a Carbine. 16” barrel with rifle length gas system and handguards. The longer site radius will be beneficial.
    It's going to be a free-floated upper, using predominately a magnified optic. But the front BUIS will be in the forward well forward of an A2 upper.

What advantages does the rifle-length gas give me that the midlength or intermediate doesn't?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom