• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    As recent retirees, we've been trying to find our way out of Maryland and downsize just a bit on the property and remaining mortgage. Delaware has always been attractive regarding taxes and partial taxing of pensions, as well as more sensible gun laws. But what I've been reading here and elsewhere is giving me pause. Is Delaware getting too much of the Jersey and New York migration? I don't see a good 20 year outlook. We were hoping to move somewhere near Milton and find a secluded half acre not next to a farm...

baltech

Feb 23, 2013
    I'm thinking liberal democrats and moderate republican's from Baltimore and Philadelphia doing the same thing. In ten years it will be the same as Maryland. Not enough people in slower lower Delaware to offset the liberal hoard.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I'm thinking liberal democrats and moderate republican's from Baltimore and Philadelphia doing the same thing. In ten years it will be the same as Maryland. Not enough people in slower lower Delaware to offset the liberal hoard.

Agreed.

Delaware has been a unique holdout historically--a tiny state with a more libertarian than liberal view--but it's only a matter of time. PA may take longer to fall but increasingly the urban centers are out-voting the rest of the state.

Any state in the union that begins tipping urban in its voting blocs tends to go liberal and anti-gun. The biggest fight we are facing is basic demographics. There's a mindset that you give up when moving to a city. No longer is it "we take care of each other" but "the government takes care of us".

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Don't worry if they become too liberal you can just move to another state.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    DE and PA are starting to go by the way of the liberal led east coast states. Reading about what's being tossed about, PA is not #1 on my list any longer. DE never was due to their NFA suppressor laws. I'm thinking anything in the mid atlantic region is going to full libtard in 5 years. Just look at what's happened to VA in the last 5 years. Is there any place safe... I don't know anymore.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    http://www.newarkpostonline.com/new...cle_be469ca9-53c1-5960-8b16-7da7baa5741a.html

“I intend to get to Dover and stir the pot. I like to use the term — without meaning it in a harsh way — that some people just need to be taken to the woodshed and straightened out on what’s right these days,” said Dilks, who has promised to bring common sense and decency back to Dover. “Somebody needs to get down there and affect some change and get Delaware back on track with what’s right and what’s decent. Enough is enough.”

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    http://www.newarkpostonline.com/new...cle_be469ca9-53c1-5960-8b16-7da7baa5741a.html

“I intend to get to Dover and stir the pot. I like to use the term — without meaning it in a harsh way — that some people just need to be taken to the woodshed and straightened out on what’s right these days,” said Dilks, who has promised to bring common sense and decency back to Dover. “Somebody needs to get down there and affect some change and get Delaware back on track with what’s right and what’s decent. Enough is enough.”

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Appreciate the heads up. Hadn't seen this yet and this is my district.

Lev928

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2015
    WESTERN MARYLAND HILLS
    As recent retirees, we've been trying to find our way out of Maryland and downsize just a bit on the property and remaining mortgage. Delaware has always been attractive regarding taxes and partial taxing of pensions, as well as more sensible gun laws. But what I've been reading here and elsewhere is giving me pause. Is Delaware getting too much of the Jersey and New York migration? I don't see a good 20 year outlook. We were hoping to move somewhere near Milton and find a secluded half acre not next to a farm...

I lived in Delaware half of my life before moving to (ugh) Maryland in early 2004. Back then, Delaware was VERY conservative. I still own property there. Everything I've seen and heard in the last couple of years is pointing to Delaware slowly moving to the corrupt, liberal mindset. The problem is NOT with native Delawareans ... the problem is the liberal mutts that have moved from the D.C. metro area (Montgomery County, MD and Northern Virginia mainly) to Delaware (mostly to Sussex and Kent counties). They have infiltrated local and state politics, taken office and are making changes that reflect the ideologies in and around D.C. Not only that, they are over-developing what was once the rural and beach areas of lower Sussex County.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    AFAIK, Delaware is a no-go for suppressors, am I right? It's kinda like asking if Cali is going brown.

dedan

Dec 5, 2011
    delaware
    delaware

hey folks, i take delaware any day, open carry state, pretty easy for ccw, no magazine ban, any semi ar, whats not to like, besides, most places do tranfers , for $20.00. also, show id for handgun purchase, and background check, your good to go. out the door.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    hey folks, i take delaware any day, open carry state, pretty easy for ccw, no magazine ban, any semi ar, whats not to like, besides, most places do tranfers , for $20.00. also, show id for handgun purchase, and background check, your good to go. out the door.

That's today's Delaware. I think most are concerned about what Delaware will look like in say 10-15 years.

Mr H

Banana'd
    The good news is that Hunter Biden has probably used up all his family capital, and won't be a political force.

Lower Slower has always been our preference when looking for a place, be it runaway, hideaway or go away.

But, recent family happenings may have us looking at Bucks or Lehigh counties in PA.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The good news is that Hunter Biden has probably used up all his family capital, and won't be a political force.

Lower Slower has always been our preference when looking for a place, be it runaway, hideaway or go away.

But, recent family happenings may have us looking at Bucks or Lehigh counties in PA.

Good luck with the school taxes there. PA in my opinion isn't that great of a place for retirement. Places like Dallastown were decent places to live and then they decided to build a high school and the equivalent of a Middle School and the school taxes went SKY HIGH.

For me personally, I wouldn't want to live my retirement life not knowing if I'm going to be able to afford to live there if they decide to build a school or two or three.

Once the wife retires (if I'm still alive), I will move from Maryland, I just don't know where that will be.

WV, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Wyoming, Utah. Who knows? But it won't be Maryland.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    WV, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Wyoming, Utah. Who knows? But it won't be Maryland.

I'd love to move to big sky country, or NC/SC. Better half wants to be within a few hours drive of family though. We're not seeing interesting properties in WV so far, the estimated school taxes for PA are just plain nuts, and so far DE despite the liberal influx still seems the lesser of all the evils. Nothings perfect. It will be interesting to see what the mid Atlantic political profile looks like in 4 years, when we're 64 and ready to move to a rancher...

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    Delaware becoming too liberal?

Tell me where this isn't happening. Virginia. Colorado. Arizona. Texas. Florida. All of 'em are being flipped. We'll see what the mid-terms bring.
    Retirement is six weeks away for me, and while I would prefer it out west (brothers in CO, son in TX, Dad in AZ) Mrs. Inspector wants to return to Florida. No place is perfect so you have to compromise and get most of what you want. The Pensacola area is where we'll likely end up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom