Fishing Kayak, sit on top or sit in? Why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I'll definitely check it out this summer.

I usually check the river stage before I head out. What flow do you recommend for this area?

American Whitewater suggests anywhere from 2.5' to 6' on the USGS Little Falls pump station gauge (number 01646500 on the USGS site).

Basically, it's never too low, only too high at flood stage. I seriously have never seen it run "too low" on the AW site. That's a fantastic site for finding trips btw.

If you want peace, serenity, and the best damned smallmouth fishing you'll ever see, run the "trough" section of the south branch of the Potomac between US 220 and Harmison's Landing just south of Romney, WV. Trough General Store offers shuttle service for a nominal fee. You leave your car there at the takeout and they'll run you up to the put-in. You can either make it a day trip, or bring some gear and make an overnighter out of it. No shortage of fish, herons, and bald eagles.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    American Whitewater suggests anywhere from 2.5' to 6' on the USGS Little Falls pump station gauge (number 01646500 on the USGS site).

Basically, it's never too low, only too high at flood stage. I seriously have never seen it run "too low" on the AW site. That's a fantastic site for finding trips btw.

If you want peace, serenity, and the best damned smallmouth fishing you'll ever see, run the "trough" section of the south branch of the Potomac between US 220 and Harmison's Landing just south of Romney, WV. Trough General Store offers shuttle service for a nominal fee. You leave your car there at the takeout and they'll run you up to the put-in. You can either make it a day trip, or bring some gear and make an overnighter out of it. No shortage of fish, herons, and bald eagles.
    That section is on one of my many to-dos.
    Thanks for the AW link!

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Djones, I kayak fish all the time and of the two you posted, I would recommend the Eagle Talon the most. Focus on stability and the best seats with kayaks. 4 or 5 hours in one and the seat matters a lot!!

I have a Wilderness Ride 135 (SOT), Commander 120 (Sit in Hybred), old town vapor 10 and cheap 12 sit in. You can paddle anyone some day if you'd like to meet up and try one. Maybe we can do a float and let you borrow one while fishing for a real test.

The best all around kayak would be a 12' SOT. You can take it on the Antietam and take it on the bay or ocean, but you might want a rudder out there for wind and chop.

I've been kayak fishing for 7 years and even sold my jon boat because it just sat around. I have kayak fished the ocean, bay and hunted and fished out here all over. PM me if you want any more info. I live 3 minutes above Antietam and all my kayaks are over my buddies near devils backbone while I am refinishing my garage.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Djones, I kayak fish all the time and of the two you posted, I would recommend the Eagle Talon the most. Focus on stability and the best seats with kayaks. 4 or 5 hours in one and the seat matters a lot!!

I have a Wilderness Ride 135 (SOT), Commander 120 (Sit in Hybred), old town vapor 10 and cheap 12 sit in. You can paddle anyone some day if you'd like to meet up and try one. Maybe we can do a float and let you borrow one while fishing for a real test.

The best all around kayak would be a 12' SOT. You can take it on the Antietam and take it on the bay or ocean, but you might want a rudder out there for wind and chop.

I've been kayak fishing for 7 years and even sold my jon boat because it just sat around. I have kayak fished the ocean, bay and hunted and fished out here all over. PM me if you want any more info. I live 3 minutes above Antietam and all my kayaks are over my buddies near devils backbone while I am refinishing my garage.

Thanks for the advice and offer, much appreciated. Are there any other kayaks in the $500ish or less range you'd suggest?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That section is on one of my many to-dos.
    Thanks for the AW link!

Sure thing! I throw them the $30/year for a membership as I use their database all the time. Apparently the stretch of the Shenandoah from US Rt. 50 to State Rt. 7 is a good easy float with excellent smallmouth fishing as well. Couple of small class I ledges (basically riffles) and a lazy day of fishing with public access ramps at the put-in and take-outs.

There's even an extant Indian fish trap that you can see from satellite:
    shenfishtrap.jpg

Now I want to ditch work and go kayaking! :D

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Thanks for the advice and offer, much appreciated. Are there any other kayaks in the $500ish or less range you'd suggest?

If I wanted to get a lower cost kayak, it would be more Mid range and the perception pescador pro would be on my radar. Very nice kayak models on the older Tarpon 120 molds and designs and made with a comfortable seat.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/19287/Perception-Pescador-Pro-120-Kayak.html

Yes you can get a regular Presdaor for $500, but the seat make the kayak when you are in it for 4 to 5 hours at a time, believe me. You could always buy the cheaper version and do a DIY and add a turkey chair for it to be more comfortable. You can get the Pro 10 for $620 and it would work around here, the Antietam, Potomac and stuff like that. Open water and the wind and it would be useful, but not as great as a 12 footer.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    How hard is it to maneuver a 2-person kayak alone?

Depends on the length and where the two seats are in respect to the OAL. You paddle from the rear seat if you're solo in a tandem so that you have greater control over steering (much like the guy in the back of the canoe is the one who steers). It's not what you'd want for your only kayak, but okay on occasion.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Bringing this thread back from the dead, lol.

I'm torn between the Ascend sit on top from bass pro or the Perception pescador pro in 10' or 12'.

Anyone have experience with either?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I have an ascend 12’ you’re welcome to borrow to see how you like it. I’ve had it about a year and I haven’t decided if I like it or not. It’s big and I wanted big to haul gear and decoys for hunting and overnighters. I also bought it cheap so because I don’t have much in it and it’s big I’m happy. I just don’t know if I’m as happy as I’d be with something that felt a little less like a tank. My other kayak is a sit-in pelican and it feels like a speedboat compared to the ascend but it also feels like a toy compared to the ascend.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I have an ascend 12’ you’re welcome to borrow to see how you like it. I’ve had it about a year and I haven’t decided if I like it or not. It’s big and I wanted big to haul gear and decoys for hunting and overnighters. I also bought it cheap so because I don’t have much in it and it’s big I’m happy. I just don’t know if I’m as happy as I’d be with something that felt a little less like a tank. My other kayak is a sit-in pelican and it feels like a speedboat compared to the ascend but it also feels like a toy compared to the ascend.

Where are you located? I feel like for the small rivers and lakes here 10' would be adequate but I'm not sure.

I also have an 11' Coleman Crawdad that I use when I go out with someone else. Which is another reason I'm thinking of a 10' kayak. I already have a tank to paddle around lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom