• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I've only ever hunted on my own land in Westminster. My biggest fear of hunting on public land is making non-gun people panic, or being in the wrong area and end up committing a crime because i'm 20 yards over the boundary or something.

I've looked some online and most assume you're only deer/turkey hunting. I just wanna coyote n groundhog hunt. Anyone have some tips/guidance other than "read online stuff"?

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    Have you gone by the shooting range (Hap Baker) and talked to the fellows there about it? I think that's where I would start. Every time I go into a gun shop in Carroll I always get into a conversation about where you shoot, or where you hunt. It's sort of like building a network of shooters. You get some good info that way.

mhwisser

Apr 4, 2018
    Can't comment on where you should as I have only done turkey so far. But I will say that both public hunting lands I have been too had had clear markings where the boundary was.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Make friends with farmers many will welcome responsible groundhog hunters. But if they don't know you or have someone recommend you and you just show up and ask to hunt the answer will be no.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Start knocking on farmers doors. If you tell them you are only interested in ground hog hunting it might get you a little further.

I might just do that.. perhaps in time, they will ask me to cull other things also... if not, no big deal.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I've only ever hunted on my own land in Westminster. My biggest fear of hunting on public land is making non-gun people panic, or being in the wrong area and end up committing a crime because i'm 20 yards over the boundary or something.

I've looked some online and most assume you're only deer/turkey hunting. I just wanna coyote n groundhog hunt. Anyone have some tips/guidance other than "read online stuff"?
    Try horse farms and dairy farms. Groundhogs dig holes in the fields that the livestock step in and break legs, farmers hate that. They may welcome you on property to kill the hogs

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom