• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    For most questions regarding a .22LR rifle, the 10/22 is the answer. Have one, love it. But what else is out there? I'd like something for plinking, new shooters, etc, preferably with decent irons, that isn't a 10/22.

Thoughts?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    For most questions regarding a .22LR rifle, the 10/22 is the answer. Have one, love it. But what else is out there? I'd like something for plinking, new shooters, etc, preferably with decent irons, that isn't a 10/22.

Thoughts?

10/22 is the king of "bang for the buck" semi auto reliable quality 22LR

are you looking for less expensive bang for the buck?
    Bolt action?
    "different" 22 might be Savage bolt action variety.

I'm happy with my Marlins but i"d be staying away from anything Remington right now.

I have a Rossi youth 22/410 and the break action 22 is small, light and even fun for an adult. If its not a peep, I like fiber sights. The rossi has good adjustable sights on the 22. Some people might tire of it quickly though if it were not their only gun. But it shoots so slow, you would shoot all day for $20

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    The more I look for a different answer, the more it points back to the 10/22 haha.

CZ has a bunch of cool bolt guns, or I wonder if a Ruger precision rimfire with some AR irons might be interesting, although nothing has the price point or aftermarket of the old 10/22. Maybe I should just take the NFA plunge and get a can...

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

Thoughts?

Obviously, the answer is another 10/22 :rasp:

You've gotten good suggestions. Mine is a little flippant...but something to consider :innocent0 :
    If the 10/22 epitomizes low cost, widely available and aftermarket supported semi-auto, this might be the opposite:

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long...harps-collection/sharps-small-game-rifle.html

Definitely not something everyone at the range has. It's on my wishlist...but that's a big chunk o' change...:rolleyes:

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    I purchased a Rossi 22/410 combo single-shot breech-loader for training purposes. MM Jr. is a lefty, and it works equally well from either side. Great for first-time shooters, and forces them to walk through safety protocols for each and every shot. Sets a nice, calm pace, too.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    15-22 if you are looking for another semi auto. It is my go to .22 fun gun while the 10-22 is for the wife or anyone else that wants to come shooting.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Remington 552 Speedmaster, it will cycle shorts, long and LR.

Browning SA-22

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Ruger American Rimfire.....

Interchangeable stock modules for length and height.

10/22 mags single shot, 5, 10s and up (where legal).

Wife bought one, I could never get to use it, so I bought my own!!!! (We both have our own 10/22s too!!)

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Another vote for a 22LR lever action. New shooters love them. Henry has multiple options, but also check out the Browning BL-22 levers - they're nimble, reliable, and have a fast, short throw lever action.

If seeking something more distinctive (but were at one time common at carnivals), look for a used 22LR pump action rifle (from Remington, Winchester, Rossi, etc). They're similarly fun. Henry also has a model in current production.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    The next 22 on my list (with advice/help from the MDS family) for my young son will be a Marlin XT22TR or the XT22 TSR stainless version. It's a bolt action tube fed rifle. The blued version can be had in the $180's and stainless around $240, so pretty easy on the pockets.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/rimfire/xt-series/model-xt-22tr

(who am I kidding... it's for me, then my son ha)

Edited to add I just wish it came with the option of a wood stock. I'll have to find something aftermarket.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The 10/22 & M60 alterative ... the Remington 597

It should seriously be considered

I second that. I have a 597 and it is a tack driver. If you want to dress it up, Archangel makes a stock kit for it.
    4f704dab2aa8c2250b171a7fd147d683.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom