• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whoa, easy there. :)

His point was that right now you just might want to change the stock, but then later you might want an original gas plug, and so on. It's an easy trap to fall into.

I see your point. I checked the numbers on the rifle and I believe they are all correct including the gas plug. I even have the seal for the front sight screw. I'm not going to install it so I can adjust the sight if and when necessary. The original rear sight is a short pinion flush nut. The sight that's on it is fine with me, for now...........

Feb 28, 2013
    I see your point. I checked the numbers on the rifle and I believe they are all correct including the gas plug. I even have the seal for the front sight screw. I'm not going to install it so I can adjust the sight if and when necessary. The original rear sight is a short pinion flush nut. The sight that's on it is fine with me, for now...........

The "purist" instinct is powerful in some folks. The stronger that is, the greater the potential for drivin' yerself batty by tryin' to make your rifle as original as possible.

I've found that customizin' boom sticks is like finishin' drywall. You MUST know when to say when. :innocent0

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Greetings all,

I have had my Springfield Garand for some time now and put a lot of rounds down range. The serial number is 6 digits and the range puts the month and year of manufacture at October 1941. It has a replacement walnut stock that looks really nice. I want to get an original stock for it. I know I probably won't be able to get a stock from the exact time of manufacture. I want a nice old stock with as close to correct markings that my wallet can handle. Do any of you know where I can start looking? As far as I know it has all correct parts except for the rear sight and barrel. The barrel that was on it when I bought it was a very shot out post war so I bought a NOS SA 6 52 barrel and had it installed. Thanks for any help. Here's some pictures.

I have three Springfields that date to 1941...1923XX, 2550XX and 3118XX, but I don't have the proper stock on any of them. I am shooting for an April 1940, birth month, but still looking for that one.

I suggest you follow the CMP sales site, under Marketplace on their web site, and not CMP sales per se, also look on GunBroker (there's an IHC for $450 there now), see Auction Arms and send me a mail and I'll give you a local contact for Garand stuff.

I have owned a ton of Garands, have trimmed somewhat since 2011, but still own many of them and am currently selling some Springfields and a few International Harvesters for anyone who might be interested. I sell on GunBroker as Good Guy 176, Laurel, MD.

You will find all WWII stocks in short supply and late War SA/NFRs the most plentiful. Just picked up a decent Winchester with nicely struct crossed cannons, but it has a hefty chip out of the heel; it came off one of the CMP recently released IHCs that I got from a retired friend. That stock now sits on my Win-13.

Lew--Ranger63
    US Army (Ret-'84)

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Actually that rifle takes the flush nut sight which is before lock bars. "If" you can find them they sell for around $650

I couldn't remember when the change-over from the lock bar to the flush nut occurred. My January 41 rifle was originally flush nut, and I did manage to scrounge up the parts at one point (this was 20 years ago, give or take), but for a representative WWII rifle I would imagine that most flush nut rifles were upgraded to lock bar by unit armorers sometime during the war.

Boonie Hat

Jan 2, 2013
    Baltimore County, MD, USA
    I didn't know I was delusional, all I said was I wanted a stock for my Garand.

It's easy to go down that road. For example, I wanted a Vietnam era stock, sling, and handguard to make my M1A look the part. That led to replacing the flash suppressor and sights with USGI counterparts. Which in turn led to changing the barrel, trigger group and complete gas system out for USGI parts. The only things I haven't changed are the bolt and op rod and I'm sure that'll happen one day.

On the other hand, my Garand was blessed as a wonderful piece of history. Built in January of '44 and rearsenaled for the Korean War. She's salty and I'm happy with it as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom