Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Notices

Old July 15th, 2017, 09:17 AM #71

The point I was trying to get at was as questioned by the OP, if you didn't happen to have a .50 Beowulf, since the magazines are interchangeable and you had a .223 AR-15 and a states attorney was feeling ornery they could charge you. Does it mean they'd secure a guilty verdict? Depends on your peers. My guess is no. Would a judge throw the case out on its ear before it ever even saw trial? Probably not.

I highly doubt anyone would come after you at all. It probably is a non-zero risk though, even if extremely low. I certainly wouldn't want to ever use a Beowulf .50 10 round mag in a .223/.300AAC in Maryland, even if you acquired the mag out of state. Stupid laws and people with agendas enforcing them.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 04:35 PM #72
Insane in the mainframe

Location: Fredneck County, People's Democratic Republic of the State of Maryland
Insane in the mainframe

Location: Fredneck County, People's Democratic Republic of the State of Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
The point I was trying to get at was as questioned by the OP, if you didn't happen to have a .50 Beowulf, since the magazines are interchangeable and you had a .223 AR-15 and a states attorney was feeling ornery they could charge you. Does it mean they'd secure a guilty verdict? Depends on your peers. My guess is no. Would a judge throw the case out on its ear before it ever even saw trial? Probably not.

I highly doubt anyone would come after you at all. It probably is a non-zero risk though, even if extremely low. I certainly wouldn't want to ever use a Beowulf .50 10 round mag in a .223/.300AAC in Maryland, even if you acquired the mag out of state. Stupid laws and people with agendas enforcing them.
The mags are not interchangeable. You do understand that the 50 Beowulf case is just over 1/2" in diameter, right? The follower is different, as is the feed lip geometry. In order to convert a 50 Beowulf mag to a 30 round 556 mag, you would destroy the mag. I don't know how many times you can be proven wrong, and you still keep spouting off with it.

Look, sit back and chill. Your assumptions and leaps are what is screwing you up. BGOS happens to all of us, but just because somebody doesn't do something that is legal, doesn't mean somebody else doing that act is illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 04:50 PM #73
Huckleberry Dillinger

Huckleberry Dillinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonAssassin View Post
The mags are not interchangeable. You do understand that the 50 Beowulf case is just over 1/2" in diameter, right? The follower is different, as is the feed lip geometry. In order to convert a 50 Beowulf mag to a 30 round 556 mag, you would destroy the mag. I don't know how many times you can be proven wrong, and you still keep spouting off with it.

Look, sit back and chill. Your assumptions and leaps are what is screwing you up. BGOS happens to all of us, but just because somebody doesn't do something that is legal, doesn't mean somebody else doing that act is illegal.
Sorry but you're wrong. I can take (and have many times) a 5.56 mag and loaded it with 50 Beowulf ammo and shoot all day long. As well as use the one and only 50 Beowulf mag to feed a 5.56 AR. They work perfectly fine in each platform. The follower can be changed to a slightly different shape and then they are called 50 Beowulf mags. But in reality, the 50 Beowulf can use any 5.56 styled mags as it was made from the factory.

The OP is perfectly right in asking about this subject. There has been talk about this matter ever since the 50 Beowulf has come out. It never did bother me because I had my mags long before the stupid mag laws came into play.

If you take a 10 round 50 Beowulf mag and set it beside a 30 round 5.56 mag, the average AR owner will never see the difference. You would need tools to measure the slight difference. And that difference is only so Bill Alexander can put his name on it and sell it for 2 times more.

You owe the OP an apology.

The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections.
j_h_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 06:08 PM #74
Son of Liberty

Son of Liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
IANAL, IMHO. Owning the 10 round mag is fine. I would expect that if you took that 10 round mag specified by the op and loaded it with 30 rnds of 223, that it could be considered manufacturing a 30 round mag, and be illegal.

If, however, you took it out of state and declared it was a 30 round mag, you might be ok.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
To whom would one make this declaration?
secretsquirrel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 07:06 PM #75
The M1 Does My Talking

The M1 Does My Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
... and a states attorney was feeling ornery they could charge you. ...
Charge you with what?
Possession of a 30 round magazine?
You know possession is perfectly legal.

There is no way anyone is going to try to make a case against the transfer after the fact, even if the transfer was illegal.
Threeband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 07:07 PM #76
The M1 Does My Talking

The M1 Does My Talking

This is a very silly thread.
Threeband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 07:45 PM #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeband View Post
This is a very silly thread.
Only 3% silly.
Rab1515 is offline   Reply With Quote