Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons

Notices

Old July 15th, 2017, 05:46 AM #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgramjet View Post
I experienced something similar on the soccer field.....they couldnt get the net untangled. Coach came over and said, "I know you have a knife". I said sure and handed him my new Emerson.

When he brought it back it was covered in dirt and had grass on it. The stupid SOB used it to dig out a stake that was buried too deep and he couldnt pull it out.

UFB!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillofz1 View Post
Another coach came over to me to borrow my knife, my microtech socom auto. I handed it to him and turned back around to continue the drill our girls were working on. Caught out of the corner of my eye him digging out the pockets for the bases so they would drop in all the way. I nearly flipped out. Went over to him and explained that it was a $400 knife and that knives are for cutting. He had no idea that knives cost more than $15 at Walmart. Lesson mine, I will never hand my good knives to anyone, if Jesus himself snags his robe on a thorn tree, No.
Not a knife... but once I loaned out my chainsaw to a neighbor; so he could cut down a tree for a above ground pool. Went over a couple of hours later to see the progress, and he complained that the chainsaw was not cutting well anymore. The chainsaw's bar/chain was covered in dirt because he was now trying to use it to cut the tree's roots out of the ground...

Some people are absolutely stupid. And ignorant.

Originally Posted by casualmadness - Sometimes it's best to burn a bridge and use the glowing embers to light the path ahead.

Hope = Wishful thinking without action
willtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 06:01 AM #102

Benchmade Contego clipped in my right pocket and a Dalton Battle Dragon on my left side. At work, Gerber's manual 06 plain blade, replaces Dalton.
cmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 09:11 AM #103
2A TEACHER

2A TEACHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb View Post
Benchmade Contego clipped in my right pocket and a Dalton Battle Dragon on my left side. At work, Gerber's manual 06 plain blade, replaces Dalton.
I love my contego blade, materials, and lock, but hated the handle originally. Knocking down the high points to allow your thumb to ride on the blade, and knocking down that bump in the middle of the handle realllllllllllllly helps make it an entirely new knife.
Attached Images

"It's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees"

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 09:36 AM #104

knife, usually a Benchmade mini griptillian and a streamlight protac 2aa are always clipped in my pockets. i have had plenty of people ask why i carry both, byt a few days later are asking to borrow one or the other
NRA member
Escapee from the PRM

"When you put yourself in harms way, sometimes harm runs your ass over"
grayson71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 11:04 AM #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey0118 View Post
I love my contego blade, materials, and lock, but hated the handle originally. Knocking down the high points to allow your thumb to ride on the blade, and knocking down that bump in the middle of the handle realllllllllllllly helps make it an entirely new knife.
Great custom-grind job smoke, the hump doesn't bother me but I'll certainly keep your idea in mind.
cmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 11:19 AM #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
used to carry the swiss knife - last 7 years, it's a minibuck knife on my key ring
Wow, I carried one of those for years. It fell out of my pocket someplace on the D.C. metro. I'll have to get another one to drop in a pocket, they are a great pocket knife!!
cb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 11:54 AM #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb51 View Post
Wow, I carried one of those for years. It fell out of my pocket someplace on the D.C. metro. I'll have to get another one to drop in a pocket, they are a great pocket knife!!

here ya go

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-Knives-...EAAOSwjKFZXxQQ

I prefer braided line vs the the chain to attach to keyring
Attached Images

jaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 12:04 PM #108
Scribe

Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt23preston View Post
Anything to do with Government or the Courts or Airlines or Ships is out...

Other than that never had an issue...

I have been going to many of those places lately. I hate having to take the walk of shame back to my car.
Matlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 05:22 PM #109

I will offer a 'guess' as to why more folks don't carry knives. About 5 guesses, actually. One guess went into a trash can outside the federal building in Baltimore when I needed to get a copy of my DD214 from the MD Veteran's Administration. One guess went into a trash can outside the National Archives in DC when I attended the defund rally a few years back and realized I had time to stop and actually see the D.O.I, B.O.R., and US Con. in-person. One guess went into the trashcan outside the courthouse on Bosley Avenue in Towson when I got my marriage license. A couple other guesses into trash cans outside other buildings protected my metal detectors and armed guards. Post 9/11 BS. Cheap ones break or won't stay in the locked open position. Good ones that won't break or cut off your finger when the 'lock' fails are too expensive to trash when you realize you forgot to put your knife in the glove box and already paid the $20 parking and choose to lose the $15 knife instead of the $20 parking or walk 5 blocks each way to your car and back from the 'security checkpoint'.
knightindullarmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 05:41 PM #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightindullarmor View Post
I will offer a 'guess' as to why more folks don't carry knives. About 5 guesses, actually. One guess went into a trash can outside the federal building in Baltimore when I needed to get a copy of my DD214 from the MD Veteran's Administration. One guess went into a trash can outside the National Archives in DC when I attended the defund rally a few years back and realized I had time to stop and actually see the D.O.I, B.O.R., and US Con. in-person. One guess went into the trashcan outside the courthouse on Bosley Avenue in Towson when I got my marriage license. A couple other guesses into trash cans outside other buildings protected my metal detectors and armed guards. Post 9/11 BS. Cheap ones break or won't stay in the locked open position. Good ones that won't break or cut off your finger when the 'lock' fails are too expensive to trash when you realize you forgot to put your knife in the glove box and already paid the $20 parking and choose to lose the $15 knife instead of the $20 parking or walk 5 blocks each way to your car and back from the 'security checkpoint'.
Sorry, but this brings to mind "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." Fool me 5 times... I don't even know what that is!

I'm not perfect though - I've failed to plan a couple of times. First time, I just hid my knife around the back of the government building I was going into, then retrieved it when I was done. No sweat. Second time, I just walked the few blocks back to the car. Maybe I'd feel different if the knife in question was $15, but I'm not throwing away a Spyderco Manix 2.
BMassBMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 06:34 PM #111
In need of moderation

In need of moderation

I'd love to carry expensive knives but I've lost at least four to TSA luggage checks, a couple to bodies of water, one down the side of a cliff, and several others to god knows what. Anything that's not both dependable and disposable is too expensive.

Here's my daily carry: https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-8700-...dp/B00AU6NHVI/
Complete with bottle opener and flathead screwdriver/glass breaker thing.

I also carry a tiny but bright LED flashlight. I use both daily.

I'm rather shocked at how few people carry knives... I'd feel naked without it. But then the majority of people I work with don't have a stash of drugs at their desk. I've given out a bottle's worth of ibuprofen and cold medicine in a few years here. I guess the boyscout ideal of being prepared just isn't a modern concept?
rob-cubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 07:39 PM #112
Take Back America!!

Take Back America!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMassBMore View Post
Sorry, but this brings to mind "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." Fool me 5 times... I don't even know what that is!

I'm not perfect though - I've failed to plan a couple of times. First time, I just hid my knife around the back of the government building I was going into, then retrieved it when I was done. No sweat. Second time, I just walked the few blocks back to the car. Maybe I'd feel different if the knife in question was $15, but I'm not throwing away a Spyderco Manix 2.
I've only lost one to a checkpoint, and thankfully it was not very useful for anything more than a boxcutter or for string.

"Do the right thing, because it's the right thing to do."
- Me

Changing minds is hard. But once you do that, changing the world is pretty easy.

I am the enemy of no man. For those who think otherwise, more's the pity.

Member: MSI Exec, NRA-Life, GOA-Life
MD Designated Collector
Mr H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:01 PM #113
Coming into focus

Coming into focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightindullarmor View Post
I will offer a 'guess' as to why more folks don't carry knives. About 5 guesses, actually. One guess went into a trash can outside the federal building in ... One guess went into a trash can outside the National Archives in DC when I attended ... One guess went into the trashcan outside ... A couple other guesses into trash cans ...

I've been in that situation a couple times.

I walk past my destination (beyond any exterior surveillance camera view) looking for a suitable "dead drop" location and then hide it while tying my shoe (e.g. in the ivy, bushes, curbside at base of a tree under some mulch). Come back and pick it up later.
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:56 PM #114

Back when we were testifying against FSA2013, the security folks were directing people who had pocket knives out of the building. There was a small crowd of people milling about the foundation area of the building looking for a concealable place that wasn't already occupied with several pocket knives.

At least they weren't just grabbing them like the TSA bastards who wouldn't let me leave the security area once they saw it was a Spyderco knife - this happened to me twice, and a third time with a nice Kershaw. Yes, bad on me for not being diligent on clearing my backpack pocketeses.
MigraineMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 11:21 PM #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigraineMan View Post
Back when we were testifying against FSA2013, the security folks were directing people who had pocket knives out of the building. There was a small crowd of people milling about the foundation area of the building looking for a concealable place that wasn't already occupied with several pocket knives.
Sounds like an opportunity for a person or organisation to provide a secure depository near enough at hand to be convenient. It could bring a lot of goodwill if set up in a proper and trustworthy fashion. Knife valet parking.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” - Philip K. Dick
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 01:28 PM #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtill View Post
Not a knife... but once I loaned out my chainsaw to a neighbor; so he could cut down a tree for a above ground pool. Went over a couple of hours later to see the progress, and he complained that the chainsaw was not cutting well anymore. The chainsaw's bar/chain was covered in dirt because he was now trying to use it to cut the tree's roots out of the ground...

Some people are absolutely stupid. And ignorant.

Once loaned out my chainsaw, never again. People do ask to borrow it, and I offer to cut it down/ up for them. Sometimes, after looking at the situation, if it's something I'm not comfortable cutting down I tell them why the should hire somebody insured. My saw family....
Attached Images

usa259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 10:20 AM #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMassBMore View Post

X2. I try to know the laws and regulations for my destinations. I ALWAYS carry a knife and have never had one confiscated. On the federal reservations that permit a blade, it meets their requirements. If entirely prohibited, it stays in my car.

And good taste in knives! I've been carrying a Spyderco Manix 2 for the past couple years also.
Work hard, shoot straight, play fair, fight dirty
DanGuy48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 06:14 PM #118

I always have a Victorinox pocket knife and a SOG Twitch XL with me. Chris
Senior Hunter Safety Instructor State of Maryland
NRA Range Safety Officer

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 03:06 PM #119
Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Last time I was visiting the Liberty Bell I walked across the street and put my Benchmade on top of an outdoor pergola. Figured if someone stole it they worked pretty hard to get it. It was about 9' up and it helps that I'm 6'5"
crolfe1984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 04:38 PM #120
Magazine Clips

Magazine Clips

I carry a Benchmade Griptilian and a 380, 38spec or 9mm everyday This is my 1st post since I moved out of Md. I was visiting the DC area last week and felt naked without both so I bought a temporary carry knife for the trip.

Hicap is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons