What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Wow Ironpony I really like that bench, sweet set up!

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Had some time to design and print some 3D parts for annealing machine build. I’ve got a pile of cases accumulated that need to get done soon so it’s motivating me to get this finished.

226a7dcfb0b6de572bf74d6457a5d743.heic

32c9f09cc183cceee0880437d405dadd.heic

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Not specifically today but over the past two weeks:
    1750 .45 Colt cowboy loads
    1900 .45acp Wild Bunch loads
    5 sets of 10 .45-70 using 5 different powders to see what it likes.
    150 other .45-70 cases prepped and primed
    1000 .308 match loads for my two gas guns

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    must own a Dillon

HAHA! Nope! While I do own a Hornady LNL AP it isn't set up yet because I want it inside not in the garage and that means pulling up carpet and putting down laminate in one room.

The pistol cases just go fast with carbide dies. Every time I went out to the garage to smoke a cigarette I spent 20-30 minutes doing whatever step the brass was on until the lot was complete. Priming I do with an RCBS handtool while watching DVDs. The .45 Colt cases all got primed during John Wayne's "The Searchers" and the .45acp Wild Bunch all got primed during what else but "The Wild Bunch". The .308 brass had all been match prepped and primed over the winter.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    HAHA! Nope! While I do own a Hornady LNL AP it isn't set up yet because I want it inside not in the garage and that means pulling up carpet and putting down laminate in one room.

The pistol cases just go fast with carbide dies. Every time I went out to the garage to smoke a cigarette I spent 20-30 minutes doing whatever step the brass was on until the lot was complete. Priming I do with an RCBS handtool while watching DVDs. The .45 Colt cases all got primed during John Wayne's "The Searchers" and the .45acp Wild Bunch all got primed during what else but "The Wild Bunch". The .308 brass had all been match prepped and primed over the winter.

:lol: good story. Im not set up yet one day. I have almost everything i need setting up three single stage rcbs i have 2 looking for the third press at a good price .My Mother in law passed back in January so the garage is stuffed except for the 3 foot buffer boundary around the 69 Chevelle. I was really motivated more about 18 months ago but someone let themselves into my garage and helped themselves to all my initial purchase of primers and powders ,new Hornaday reloading book a couple Tech mats and my Chain saw. But I'm glad that's all they had taken I guess MDS member Bigfoot is trying to get going again.I'll have to remember the John Wayne thing. :thumbsup:

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    :lol: good story. Im not set up yet one day. I have almost everything i need setting up three single stage rcbs i have 2 looking for the third press at a good price .My Mother in law passed back in January so the garage is stuffed except for the 3 foot buffer boundary around the 69 Chevelle. I was really motivated more about 18 months ago but someone let themselves into my garage and helped themselves to all my initial purchase of primers and powders ,new Hornaday reloading book a couple Tech mats and my Chain saw. But I'm glad that's all they had taken I guess MDS member Bigfoot is trying to get going again.I'll have to remember the John Wayne thing. :thumbsup:

For decapping I use a Redding Big Boss II press, superior primer disposal through the ram and down a flexible tube right into the trash. That's my go to press, angled opening makes it easier to feed. I have an RCBS Rockchucker IV but I only use it for crimping after seating or when I need higher leverage for sizing big cases.

Other than load development or calibers I don't shoot a high volume (.45-70, .338 Lapua) I don't bother to load in lots of less than 500 with 1000-2000 preferred. Thus I batch things. Next I'll be decapping 1000 or so .223 cases and wet tumbling them for future use.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Was going to start on 500 rounds of 300 AAC subs, but as suspected, the Leatherhead bullets I bought are too wide(.309-.310+) so I've got to find a way to size them. I tried a couple dummy rounds and they failed the Sheridan case gauge. :cool:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Was going to start on 500 rounds of 300 AAC subs, but as suspected, the Leatherhead bullets I bought are too wide(.309-.310+) so I've got to find a way to size them. I tried a couple dummy rounds and they failed the Sheridan case gauge. :cool:

My first mass reloading attempt for 300B/O subs was Palmetto Epoxy coated (Same as leatherheads). I get a few jams and FTF’s per 100+ rounds. I dont know if it was my fast and furious reloading session or just what I can expect from them. As for firing they are not very accurate. Maybe 6” group at 50yds when taking my time.

I got a box of these Ranier Copper coated projectiles for about .11ea. I still havent had time to work up a load but I will get to it soon.

35bf375d0800510de4a767b6ef9f6e58.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Finally got the power supply wired up and conducted my first test run.

https://youtu.be/ggSi5T4Yjj0

Pretty happy with this prototype. I tested it out with some 850 deg templaq at the mouth and 450 deg at the midpoint of the case. I got a good melt at the mouth after about 4.5sec and no melting at the mid point so I think it’s going to work much better than my burning finger method.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Finally got the power supply wired up and conducted my first test run.

https://youtu.be/ggSi5T4Yjj0

Pretty happy with this prototype. I tested it out with some 850 deg templaq at the mouth and 450 deg at the midpoint of the case. I got a good melt at the mouth after about 4.5sec and no melting at the mid point so I think it’s going to work much better than my burning finger method.

very cool Tool A

Major03

Ultimate Member

Lee makes a resizing die that will take it down to .308 diameter and isn’t expensive.

Or you could neck turn to reduce the necks by .001 / .002

The Lee die is what I would try first and see if the accuracy is acceptable for you.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Lee makes a resizing die that will take it down to .308 diameter and isn’t expensive.

Or you could neck turn to reduce the necks by .001 / .002

The Lee die is what I would try first and see if the accuracy is acceptable for you.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered one Amazon prime. Be here in a couple days.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I’m a Skeetshooter so I loaded 200 20 ga shells to shoot Skeet. For anyone really into reloading shotgun shells I loaded them on a PW (Ponsness Warren 900). Its a hell of a machine.

IMG_0179.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom