• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I inherited a Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 chambered in 6mm-06 from a friends estate several years ago. I originally put the rifle up for sale along with most of his estate.

It didn't seem to get any interest until I mentioned it to a coworker. He wanted to shoot it before buying. We met up at the range and got set up to put a few rounds down range at 25 yards to check the zero. I shot the first shot and it was dead nuts. We moved the target out to 100 yards and he fired the second shot. It went practically in the same hole. I'm sure everyone is going sure that was a fluke or just a lucky shot. We thought the same thing. Just for giggles we moved the target out to 200 yards. Another co worker wanted to take the third shot. The look on our faces when we inspected the target and saw all three holes touching :shocked3: I still have the target! (a photo uploaded for proof)

It goes without saying that he was sold and was ready to buy the rifle for the full asking price. As usual I asked for his drivers license to make a copy and fill out the bill of sale. That's when I realized that we had a problem. He was an Ohio resident, and the transfer had to go through an FFL in OH. He refused to complete the sale. I wasn't upset about it at all and happily kept the rifle.

Unfortunately I am running low on the wildcat handloads (came with the rifle) and do not have the load data to make more. Wildcats really don't interest me so I don't really want to work up the load.

So here's the question. I am thinking about having the rifle re-barreled. What caliber would everyone suggest. I want something with longer legs then a .308 Win that will make sense in a long action rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
      IMG_0341.jpg
      41.4 KB · Views: 339

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    6mm-06 is pretty easy to form from 25-06 brass, only takes one pass through the sizing die, if you have the die. If you decide to rebarrel, any cartridge that has the 30-06 as it's parent cartridge will work.
    .25-06
    6.5-06
    .30-06
    .35 Whelen
    or any "Improved" version of these will work. Pick your poison.:D

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    6mm-06 is pretty easy to form from 25-06 brass, only takes one pass through the sizing die, if you have the die. If you decide to rebarrel, any cartridge that has the 30-06 as it's parent cartridge will work.
    .25-06
    6.5-06
    .30-06
    .35 Whelen
    or any "Improved" version of these will work. Pick your poison.:D

The problem I have with loading 6mm-06 isn't forming the brass. I don't have any idea what powder was used. No one seems to have load data. I wouldn't know where to start

Also from what I have read 6mm-06 has a tendency to burn out the barrel throat fairly quickly.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    If those 3 shots happened as you say(25, 100, and 200yds by 3 different guys), I'd be researching and learning what to load it with. You sir have a jewel there and it was an omen that the sale didn't work out. If I had a rifle that shot like that...especially an inherited one...no way would I get rid of it or rebarrel it until it absolutely needed it. There has to be data out there.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    How many of the original handloads do you have left? I'll bet if you pulled some of them down, measured all of the components and checked the powder type and flash rate you could get really close. Throw a few original and new loads through a chrono and you could dial it in.

For as infrequently as you sound to shoot it, keep it as a treasured remembrance and enjoy the accuracy.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    How many of the original handloads do you have left? I'll bet if you pulled some of them down, measured all of the components and checked the powder type and flash rate you could get really close. Throw a few original and new loads through a chrono and you could dial it in.

For as infrequently as you sound to shoot it, keep it as a treasured remembrance and enjoy the accuracy.

Perrin, the post I quoted ^^^^^^^^^^ is THE answer.

"I" wouldn't change a thing on that rifle, until the groups opened up to look like a scattergun pattern!!!!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The 6mm-06 has the same case capacities as the .240 Weatherby and the 6mm-.284 . I found some references that you could use starting loads for the above as starting loads for 6mm-06 .

Back in the day , those handloads were almost certainly 4831. Because that was the slowest powder then available to handloaders, but still too fast for optimal . Brad lists some suitable newer powders .

My late father always had an interest in building a 6mm-06 aka 6mm Rockchucker . But alas never got around before his health failed .

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Perrin, the post I quoted ^^^^^^^^^^ is THE answer.

"I" wouldn't change a thing on that rifle, until the groups opened up to look like a scattergun pattern!!!!

You know this was one of Bob J's rifles. The handloads were worked up and loaded for him by the smith that built the rifle. Wish I knew who built it.

Thanks everyone for the input. I have maybe 30 rounds of the original ammo left. I stopped shooting the rifle due to the dwindling ammo supply.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Is the 6mm-06 a Winchester factory barrel? If so I may be a rare special order gun and worth big bucks. If it was rechambered for 6mm-06, I would look for a NOS pre 64 barrel, in one of the calibers that "dist1646" suggested and have a known Model 70 gunsmith rebarrel it for you, after I had shot out the 6mm-06 barrel. It sounds like a great long distance Groundhog gun as it is now chambered.

There ate several for sale on Gunbroker, But must will need to be refinished.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Gun-Parts/search?Keywords=Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 barrel

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    (a photo uploaded for proof)
    Wildcats really don't interest me so I don't really want to work up the load.

A 6-06 has to be a barrel burner. Might be fun on a prairie dog hunt in West Texas. Having messed around with an Ackley improved in my younger years, I understand your disinterest in wildcats.

I always wanted a 25-06 but that isn't that much different than what you have now. How about a 35 whelan, which is commercially available. You probably already have a 30-06 and a 7x57 isn't going to our shoot a 308.

That's a really nice group.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I'd leave it alone if it shoots that good. 6-06 is not that hard to form brass or load for. Now if you would like to use the rifle for something else a barrel change may make sense, what would be your intended use?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I'd leave it alone if it shoots that good. 6-06 is not that hard to form brass or load for. Now if you would like to use the rifle for something else a barrel change may make sense, what would be your intended use?

I honestly hadn't thought of a uae other than pucnching paper out past 600. My 308's give me great results out that far. The limitation is most likely caused by my lack of long range practice.

Guess it's time to start a new thread and see who would be willing to help me work up safe loads in 6mm-06 that get this kind of result.

Just what I need another project.:rolleyes:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    With the 6mm-06, think 1000y or more. I would consider it a good thing to try LRC shooting with, using bullets from the 6mm BR, 6mm Creedmoor, or 6mm-284. Has to be data out there for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom