Maryland Arms Collectors Association (Suggestion Box)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • user_617905

Aug 26, 2017
    Columbia
    A tight focus is cool ( as I read it , handguns must be pre-1898 , but rifles and sporting shotguns merely "collectable" , is that right ? ) .

That's just for the March show. You see more "modern" C&R pistols at meetings. For instance, there's a gentleman who has an extensive Luger and P-38 collection.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'm in Deep Southern Maryland. The physical attendance requirement tells me I'm not welcome.

The antique arms requirement I can live with, as my main area of interest is in muzzle-loading arms...particularly dueling pistols.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The antique arms requirement I can live with, as my main area of interest is in muzzle-loading arms...particularly dueling pistols.

Have you seen the collection of Manton dueling pistols that one of the MACA members displays at Timonium? Incredible, gorgeous pistols.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Their Club, their Rules, their Institutional Culture .

A tight focus is cool ( as I read it , handguns must be pre-1898 , but rifles and sporting shotguns merely "collectable" , is that right ? ) .

It's cool to maintain traditions of small tightly knit , Baltimore area collectors, with the rules established to slow down an influx of newcomers/ outsiders .

But if they actually want to expand , at minimum the second part needs to change .

Rseymorejr hit on a big one - Multiple classes of membership . Make the current requirements Regular Members . New class for Assocate Members . Able to attend meetings and events, but not mandatory . No voting rights or holding office . Open for debate if/ when Associate could sponsor new members .

Just the above would get them a significant boost in membership . Additionally , rotating venues would attract more members . Keep most of the regular meetings and executive meetings in Balt , but one a year each in SoMd, Western Md, and Eastern Shore .

As for the other Elephant in the room , I totally get that they want to set themselves as distinct from run of the mill gun shows/ gun clubs . But let's look at their founding in context .

In 1947 , a cutoff date of 1898 was only 47 years back . I can see a rolling date of 50yrs ( aka C&R ) would be a huge change from the current parameters , but a strong argument could be made for a 1945 cutoff .

I came back to this thread today to post exactly this. This is more or less what I was getting at with my previous post

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I also want to ask about the sponsorship requirement. If the club wants to gain new members, many of whom wouldn't know an existing member who could sponsor them, what's the point of calling for new members? That appears to be displaying an off-putting secret society appearance to "outsiders" IMO.

Update: I also like the idea of a two-tier membership. It accommodates long distance travelers and members with unstable schedules.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Have you seen the collection of Manton dueling pistols that one of the MACA members displays at Timonium? Incredible, gorgeous pistols.

I have. The Timonium show is about the only one that I really consider worth going to. My own prize pair is a case of Gastinne-Renette percussion pistols.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Their Club, their Rules, their Institutional Culture .

It's cool to maintain traditions of small tightly knit , Baltimore area collectors, with the rules established to slow down an influx of newcomers/ outsiders .

But if they actually want to expand , at minimum the second part needs to change .

Rseymorejr hit on a big one - Multiple classes of membership . Make the current requirements Regular Members . New class for Assocate Members . Able to attend meetings and events, but not mandatory . No voting rights or holding office . Open for debate if/ when Associate could sponsor new members .

Just the above would get them a significant boost in membership . Additionally , rotating venues would attract more members . Keep most of the regular meetings and executive meetings in Balt , but one a year each in SoMd, Western Md, and Eastern Shore .

As for the other Elephant in the room , I totally get that they want to set themselves as distinct from run of the mill gun shows/ gun clubs . But let's look at their founding in context .

In 1947 , a cutoff date of 1898 was only 47 years back . I can see a rolling date of 50yrs ( aka C&R ) would be a huge change from the current parameters , but a strong argument could be made for a 1945 cutoff .

Are you discriminating against my 1955 Harrington Garand!!! :lol:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I dunno , is your 1955 H&R Garand a Pistol ?

But yeah , the meeting attendance is still the killer .

Hypothetically moving foreword the start time might help Baltimore locals, but for the out of towners , would force them to deal with not just one, but two rush hours ( Baltimore's plus either DC, or Annapolis, or Fredrick .)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom