• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • musketbal

Mar 26, 2013
    Somerset Co., Crisfield
    After 25 years at ECI (Eastern Correctional Institution) I finally made up my mind to retire. Things there is to the point now that at any time there will someone (officer) hurt or killed. I don't give a dam about what the media or that pompous Rhino by the name of Gov. Hogan, the actual number of officers short is now between 130-150. It's my opinion that the Governor what privatize the correctional system. That's going to go over like a fart in church. It never works.
    Check out the wonderful hug a thug program he has put all His eggs in a basket for. REHABILITATION. The new program allows people who are arrested to opt for a six month in house rehab. stay if you are either an alcoholic or a junkie to leave after the six month period with the criminal charges and arrest wiped out so the productive new made citizen get get a chance of getting a great job, WTF. Also if you receive a 10 year sentence you will only do about 3 years. Larry Hogan is 100% rhino. Look at his policies and decide for your self. He is not a friend of 2A people.
    This is the most ridiculous part of him not attempting to hire new officers. Only 2 have been hired in the last year with one quitting and another being recruited by MSP. ECI and most of the other State prison's is a ticking time bomb. This past June a serious demonstration by the inmates (about 600) was avoided when K-9 and shotguns were deployed. The inmates told the administration next time CNN will be covering what happens. I was miserable all the time and took it out on my wife an others. I only was sleeping 3-4 hours a night, my blood pressure was sky high too. I made the decision to retire 4 months ago and everything changed for the good. The money was good but it isn't any help to you and your family if you kick the bucket. Anyway there are still many top notch people still there who deserve better treatment then what this current administration has purposely burdened and destroyed corrections.
    The men and women out there on this forum who has work in one of Maryland's facilities knows what it's like to do a job no one else is willing to do. Many citizens don't care about what goes on inside of the walls because lets face it, who grows up saying, boy, I want to be a guard when I grow up. Somerset County is an extremely poor county and the main employer for many is ECI. Now I believe that the prison's days are numbered. My last observation is that Warden Foxwell has done everything within his power to help the officers, but headquarters micromanages from Baltimore, and has it's own agenda in step with the governor.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    From what I hear that place is a ticking time bomb. Its only a matter of time until it goes off and when it does a lot of good people are going to be killed. I take it Somerset is poor because everyone wants to live in the central maryland counties. I guess their are no good beaches or development going on by the ocean to bring in the tourist $$$ like OC and Rehoboth does. who wants to retire to a county that is poor??

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    God help us if they succeed in privatising the prisons. Especially in rural areas. Then you are going to see overcrowding, understaffing and problems. People will do jail time for double parking.

There's no excuse for a CO dying or being injured. Governor RINO needs to bring back the death penalty.

The reason the public doesn't care is that the media is too busy repeating The Evil Party talking points of the day about The President's wife, etc. instead of reporting on actual injustices.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Congrats on your retirement! Wish you all the best.

I know CO is a tough job, life expectancy tends to be very low often due to depression, alcoholism, and suicide. Take care of yourself so that you can beat those odds. Worked a long time to enjoy life some, please work to make that happen for you and yours.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Thanks for your 25 there! I’ve done a lot of crap at a crappy job but CO is not one I’d want!! You guys put up with a lot of $hit

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Congrats on your decision to retire.

Thank you for putting up with the dregs of society in a largely thankless and mostly dangerous job.

Honestly, I have grown to distrust and hate politicians and bureaucrats. They are predominantly dishonest and dishonorable. They daily earn our distrust and disdain. They’re bad everywhere BUT MD has their own special Hell. I’m so damned glad to have been able to escape. There’s no future to doing the backstroke in the cesspool. Even the fastest and best swimmer is still just doing laps in sewage...

tbmcdermott1

Mar 26, 2018
    Baltimore
    14 years ago I worked at the Annex in Jessup, shit went south after Ehrlich was elected and made cuts through out the system. Looks like things didn't change. Glad I got out when I did.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    MY dad escaped MCI after 20 years in 2003. Said it was the best and worst place to work. He spent as much time as possible in the towers and later in the visitor center. Absolutely hated being inside.

Good on you for making your escape and hopefully keeping your sanity.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I dislike empty chamber indicators as well.

Glad your moving to a range that doesn’t require them.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    It is pretty bad at WCI too. A friend was working doubles every normal day he worked, to max out OT, so he wouldn't be drafted on one or both of his days off. WCI is operating at almost a skeleton level for staffing. Nobody in that area wants to work in the facility. My buddy is looking forward to retirement, but that is a ways off for him.

Glad you got out safely and hopefully you can enjoy a long and peaceful retirement.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Powerful statement, musketbal. Glad you got out and your health indicators are improving, but also hope your message gets heard. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

musketbal

Mar 26, 2013
    Somerset Co., Crisfield
    Yea, I know it is a state wide problem and it sounds exactly like ECI. My sister who work over to the East compound infirmary left because the games the inmates played by faking illnesses. She was making $40.00 an hour. Her and my niece were able to "speak to Hogan about the situation at ECI and he became very defensive and rude to her by telling her "If the people who were applying for the job weren't liars and criminals they would hire more. He then came back to her and said in a very angry and belittling way, that if she voted for the other guy, he'd fire all of you. I have never heard her curse in 55 yrs. shes said he was the biggest ******* she had ever seen.
    Believe it or not a DEMOCRAT senator for the 38th district has tried for two years to help and as usual Hogan has ignored all request to meet with him. I know for a fact He is extremely interested in doing something to help and told Hogan at the J. Millard Tawes Clam Bake here in Crisfield, that at the only way to get his attention was for people to die. Senator Mathias was given a 4 star rating by the NRA last election. I guess he's one of the very few Dems willing to throw his future away in politics for his friendly 2A support. I guess the only reason I still care about what goes on at ECI is because of the true friends I have known for 20 yrs. plus, who are stuck there for financial reasons. Thanks for your support on behalf of all the CO's within the State of Maryland who do the job without much support other than their families.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom