• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    You can't always assume he did anything. It's possible that she's batshit crazy as well.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Well they did say she had injuries, hence the arrest.

guess we'll see.

Been awhile since I have answered a domestic call. Seems that an Officer would not make an arrest WITHOUT some sign of injury. The State becomes the complainant at that point, and not the Wife. Let the Court sort it out after that.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Well, if the media said so it must be true...

She also refused medical attention saying she would go on her own.

There are many ways to acquire "injuries". As the primary person dealing with warrants for domestic issues I find it highly unlikely he would put himself in that situation.

There are 3 sides to every story and I do know for a fact that a least once in the history of the world, a person was falsely accused and "injuries" were presented as "evidence."

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Being a LEO, I will give him the benefit of the doubt. If there were injuries it is possible they were self inflicted.

No matter what the truth is, I hope things work out for the best for them both.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If he is convicted of 2nd degree assault, the penalty is up to ten years, although it's a misdemeanor.

How could he be sheriff and be a prohibited person if convicted?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    That's got to be a little uncomfortable

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 465

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    What does the Sheriff do in that County? Manage Court House security, Corrections?, and other Court "related paperwork"?

Up here in Harfurr' cowtee' our Sheriff's Office does all that plus is the primary agency for "County Police" minus three Incorporated town/cities and the state agencies that here doing their own thing, MSP, Natural Resource Police and I guess MDTA to some extent.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What does the Sheriff do in that County? Manage Court House security, Corrections?, and other Court "related paperwork"?

Up here in Harfurr' cowtee' our Sheriff's Office does all that plus is the primary agency for "County Police" minus three Incorporated town/cities and the state agencies that here doing their own thing, MSP, Natural Resource Police and I guess MDTA to some extent.

Sheriff also serves civil process and does warrant service for such things related to domestic violence, etc... Since AA county has a county PD, they don't need a sheriff's deputy for full service policing.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If he is convicted of 2nd degree assault, the penalty is up to ten years, although it's a misdemeanor.

How could he be sheriff and be a prohibited person if convicted?

Im not sure he can, but it is MD and laws are screwed up here. Elected officials dont always get the same treatment as regular folks do either.

With him being a converted republican you can probably expect the D's in power to use every thing they can to ensure he does not remain in his position. Guilty or Not.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Sheriff also serves civil process and does warrant service for such things related to domestic violence, etc... Since AA county has a county PD, they don't need a sheriff's deputy for full service policing.

Right, basically what I typed in my reply. Besides a few guys wearing tacticool gear for their warrant squad, every other deputy is standing, walking people back and forth in Court all day.

Seems the "metro" County's with their legislated created County PD's, the Sheriff isn't really as big of a deal compared to up here in the woods when they serve as full time law enforcement.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I guess my point was, who really cares what his 2A opinion is since the Sheriff down there isn't doing much "law enforcement" related stuff unless it involves the Court.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    http://www.arundelnewsnet.com/break...cle_d8920560-0001-11e6-bff9-e780b27f7521.html

Sheriff Bateman's wife defends him after assault

Pasadena, MD (ANN) - Charging documents obtained exclusively by ANN show that a physical altercation occurred within the Pasadena home of Sheriff Ron Bateman Sunday evening, as he and as his wife Elsie struggled over a money clip. According to the statement of probable cause, the fight erupted when Mrs. Bateman returned from dinner.
    “Ms. Bateman said Mr. Bateman told her to get out of the house. …she was going to leave the house, but did not have any money. Ms. Bateman grabbed Mr. Bateman’s money clip because it had cash.”
    As the argument escalated, Mrs. Bateman called to her 14 year old for help:
    “he came into the master bedroom and saw Mr. Bateman holding his mother down on the bed. “
    The boy was able to pull Bateman off his mother according to the report, but the fight spilled over to the hallway.
    “Ms. Bateman said Mr. Bateman grabbed her again and she slapped him in the face…….Ms. Bateman said Mr. Bateman threw her into a wall in the craft room where she hit the back of her head.”
    When officers arrived on scene they noticed damage inside of the home and small injuries on Mrs. Bateman. She declined medical treatment on scene.
    Sheriff Bateman admitted to officers that he and his wife had argued and that he had been drinking. He denied striking his wife but said he did hold her down to take his money clip back from her.
    Mrs. Bateman took to Facebook this morning to defend her husband, who is on leave from the Department as a result of the incident she calls an argument, saying:
    “Ron is a wonderful man and an amazing Sheriff.”
    See the rest of her facebook statement in photos.
    Sheriff Bateman was released based on his own recognizance and was required to turn over his firearm and badge per department protocols.
    Second degree assault carries a penalty of 10 years and or $2,500.
    State's attorney Wes Adams released the following statement a short time ago regarding the case.

"This morning, my office received the statement of charges, charging the Sheriff of Anne Arundel County, Ron Bateman, with 2nd Degree assault. Because of the unique relationship between the State's Attorney's Office and the Anne Arundel County Sheriff's Office, I have elected to refer this matter to a special prosecutor outside of Anne Arundel County. Steve Kroll, the Director of the Maryland State's Attorney's Association has agreed to serve as special counsel in this case. I have chosen this route to ensure the public's trust in my office, to ensure that no one is above the law, and to ensure that both Mr. and Mrs. Bateman each are treated fairly.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    So now everyone has the sheriff's home address and knows he's unarmed.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    The Press release is cute: "He's a good guy, known him 30 years, he say's he didn't do it".

Sounds like an open and shut case to me!

Wonder if they offer that kind of press release for everyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom