Are dealers ripping us off on transfer fees?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • watts

Jun 17, 2013
    moco
    To some degree, you're also paying for convenience. You could probably find an ffl who will do a transfer for less, but they may be far away and they may be worse in other ways. Find a couple ffls that you can trust and that do good work. You may pay a little more here and there but they have families to feed as well.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Last November, I transferred two handguns through my local gun shop, where I have done business for more than 20 years. The fee was $45 for each transfer, plus the $10 MSP fee.

Today, I called that same dealer to see if they had a particular pistol in stock, or if they could order it. They advised that they didn't have it and couldn't get it, but would transfer it if I bought it online. The fee, however, is now $75!

I talked two more dealers, and got the same response: They can't get the pistol, but they will do the transfer for $75. One dealer reminded me that in addition to that fee, I will need to cough up $10 for MSP, and $35 for an Omega Lock.

Apparently, the laws of supply and demand don't govern just guns, but dealer services as well. I hope these dealers are proud of themselves...and I hope they remember the ill will they've generated when all the current hysteria fades.

I always make it a point to buy something, anything, anytime I am in a local gun shop, even if it's only a box of .22 ammo, in order to support small businesses. Never again. The internet is chock-full of merchants who will deliver ammo and gun-related products to my door, often at a lower cost.

Can anyone recommend a dealer who will handle a handgun transfer without gouging? Thanks.

Not really ripping you off. Just as previously stated, due to the back logs of MSP some dealers are having to store sold guns off site. So they have extra storage and they have to make room to get your gun in and wait on paperwork. Basically, storing stock that they were not accounting for. Sad but it's the politicians fault, not the dealers. They would love to sell you a gun and get it out of their hands as soon as possible but the extra cost of business needs to be passed on. $75 for transfer, does not sound that had in today's environment in the commie republik. Best thing you can do is either vote with your feet or try to get the moonbats out of office.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    Not really ripping you off. Just as previously stated, due to the back logs of MSP some dealers are having to store sold guns off site. So they have extra storage and they have to make room to get your gun in and wait on paperwork. Basically, storing stock that they were not accounting for. Sad but it's the politicians fault, not the dealers. They would love to sell you a gun and get it out of their hands as soon as possible but the extra cost of business needs to be passed on. $75 for transfer, does not sound that had in today's environment in the commie republik. Best thing you can do is either vote with your feet or try to get the moonbats out of office.

Don't forget they have to store it longer (thus more storage fees if renting space). If you shop around you should be able to find cheaper fees but it eventually becomes a question of transportation cost vs savings.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Don't forget the phone calls. " Just checking to see if I can pick up my gun today"

Maybe dealers should charge a phone call fee. Lower the price of the transfer and charge $5 every time you call asking about your transfer.

What if all the MD dealers decided not to do transfers at all?

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    The first transfer I had was a shocker. The dealer had their name listed on GB and all transfers $50.00. When I found what I wanted I called the dealer and no problem I also went by his shop and everything was good to go. When I go to fill the paperwork out $100.00 plus sales tax. Since his cost was posted on GB I didn't bother asking and he didn't tell me. I don't do business with AG&A anymore.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    All considered, depending on the gun you buy, that 75 is not so bad. I went to a LGS and saw a Springfield RO for 1200 or something. I see it on the net forever for about 900, or so delieverd. So even with 75 to 900, its still cheaper. Cannot not bet them all the time.

babalooie21204

Aug 13, 2012
    Columbia
    Don't forget the phone calls. " Just checking to see if I can pick up my gun today"

Maybe dealers should charge a phone call fee. Lower the price of the transfer and charge $5 every time you call asking about your transfer.

What if all the MD dealers decided not to do transfers at all?

NOt going to happen. I know 2 ffl's in md that all they do is transfers. Its their business :) and yes they have cheaper rates than discussed here

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I know about business costs. And I am all for a business making some money.

But $65 or higher for a NON-regulated transfer?

If it was $45 for a regulated transfer 3 months ago, why the jump to $75 or $100? Why are other dealers NOT raising their prices?

Are some dealer gouging on transfers? Yes they are. Are some of the price increases legitimate? Yes they are.

You have to decide what is reasonable and what is gouging, and not use dealers that you feel are gouging.

Bang1964

May 3, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Question was not the cost of a Transfer, question was why so high of a jump in short period of time. Long as you are comfortable paying what you think is worth, it is not a problem.
    My dealer didn't jack up transfer fees and I am happy what I am paying now. He knows most of his customers are repeat customers and long as you have them coming back you have them on a hook. Last transfer I did for a Les Baer cost me $60 and $2,500 for a LWRC he had hanging on the wall. Also I don't understand "sales tax" when you do a transfer you can't tax labor. Total rip-off if you are getting taxed for a transfer.

hogrider

Jan 23, 2013
    They paid the bucks for the license, space and overhead.... no free rides. Find another FFL, bite the bullet or take up another hobby or stick to long guns. Guns, cars and women aren't cheap.

Like women and cars...it's cheaper to keep her

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sirex