• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dec 31, 2012
    Sooooo OP....

How many IS enough rounds? I am very curious to know what you think is too much.

Arguing about a specific number is the same as arguing about calibers. Everyone can cite some example of how their opinion is right.

My point being that there are preparations and then there are absurdities. No man/family is an island forever. If you live in the east coast metro area and think you can prep enough to be self sufficient and protected from your neighbors forever then you are ignoring the practicalities of where you live.

Stocking 20k rounds of 9mm in Nowhere,Wyoming is not the same as keeping 20k rounds of 9mm in Fallston,Maryland which is essentially a suburb of the DC,Balt metro area.

To each as he sees fit for his circumstance but ridiculous is still ridiculous.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I am not a prepper. I don't keep any ammo stocked up at all. Shame on you selfish people hoarding all the ammo. .gov needs to redistribute and you must relinquish your fair share.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    My problem was, it took me 15 years of marriage (and Obama) to convince my wife we needed guns in the house. Since July, I've gotten 3! It never even occurred to me that ammo would get like this though.

So now I'm going from no guns to 3 and looking at learning to reload! A lot of it is due to this forum which I found a year ago, so I just wanted to say Thank You to all the support everyone gives here.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Arguing about a specific number is the same as arguing about calibers. Everyone can cite some example of how their opinion is right.

My point being that there are preparations and then there are absurdities. No man/family is an island forever. If you live in the east coast metro area and think you can prep enough to be self sufficient and protected from your neighbors forever then you are ignoring the practicalities of where you live.

Stocking 20k rounds of 9mm in Nowhere,Wyoming is not the same as keeping 20k rounds of 9mm in Fallston,Maryland which is essentially a suburb of the DC,Balt metro area.

You never know, those hoarders may just be the people that have enough extra to lend you some.

Dec 31, 2012
    My problem was, it took me 15 years of marriage (and Obama) to convince my wife we needed guns in the house. Since July, I've gotten 3! It never even occurred to me that ammo would get like this though.

So now I'm going from no guns to 3 and looking at learning to reload! A lot of it is due to this forum which I found a year ago, so I just wanted to say Thank You to all the support everyone gives here.

I'm bringing the wife up to speed on guns which is the reason I was looking for ammo. I was not unlike you. 12 years married with rifles/shotguns, occassional access to handguns but none in the house. Once I started buying and finally got the wife shooting the need for ammo increased significantly. She has her own now and wants mine as well!

Dec 31, 2012
    You never know, those hoarders may just be the people that have enough extra to lend you some.

Now you bring up my underlying point. Yes ammo can be a barter item but if the east coast metro area is reduced to bartering ammo there will likely be no east coast metro area to speak of.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia

You must be new to this gun culture thing. Availability as well as cost waxes and wanes to varying degrees. If you've been a serious shooter long enough, there are economic benefits to keeping some on hand for times like these.

Granted, these are the leanest times I've ever seen. But if you didn't see this day coming, you haven't been very observant.

This is a generalization, and I'm not busting your chops so much as making a broad observation. It wasn't very long ago that .22lr was $10 a 500 pack, 9mm was $7 for a 100 round WWB pack, and winchester brass cased .223 55gr FMJ was $8 for 40 rounds. These were retail, non-volume walmart prices. Watch those prices climb incrementally and anyone paying attention would likely plan for the day when this happened.

7A38

Sep 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    I've had enough fighting with the preppers, panicky people, and hoarders.
    Ammo online is gone.
    Ammo disappears from the stores as fast as they place it on the shelf, sometimes it does not even make it to the shelf.
    At what point do the hoarders, panicky people and preppers have enough?

I went to Fallston to buy two boxes of WWB 9mm for my wife to practice with so as to not use up expensive SD rounds and there was a line of people staring at an empty cabinet. The younger clerk explained to me they had just sold out of the 338 boxes of 9mm they put out today. One person bought 40 boxes. Mind you these are 100 round boxes some of which he had to keep stacked on the floor near his feet due to lack of space. The clerk then tells me they have sold 7,000,000 rounds in 3 months, most of that being in the last month. Yes that is 7 million from only one Walmart albeit in a more affluent area than most.

I don't care how many guns you have you can't fire more than a few of them in a defensive situation and you're not going to be reloading hundreds upon hundreds of times. The probability of a single household surviving an extended defensive situation involving dozens of repeated attacks is going to be low no matter what you have, short of an old missile silo and a tank.

I'm all for being prepared for disasters or civil disruption but you guys that are hoarding and prepping for armageddon are living in the wrong part of the country. The east coast metro areas are screwed if something severe happens here. The best we can hope for in the metro areas are for disruptions followed by restoration of order within weeks, keeping our families and neighbors safe in the meantime. Otherwise, welcome to Sarajevo.

For those of you getting ready for revolution you really should plan a little better. The term was actually used at me in Walmart today by an older clerk who decided to take off his tinfoil hat and explain how the Newtown shooting 'actually' happened. He exclaimed the bushmaster was not found on the school grounds and was really placed there to give plausiblity to disarmament of the public to stop the upcoming revolution. Ahh conspiracies, the stuff of revolutions. Revolutions happen with groups fighting to overthrow or repel an unwanted authority. Revolutions don't happen based on you holing up in your 'bunker' with tens of thousands of rounds of ammo and MRE's. Revolutions happen with groups in the open not from individuals behind locked doors.

Calm the **** down already.

This is precisely why I have plenty of ammo and you do not. :lol:

7A38

Dec 31, 2012
    You must be new to this gun culture thing. Availability as well as cost waxes and wanes to varying degrees. If you've been a serious shooter long enough, there are economic benefits to keeping some on hand for times like these.

Granted, these are the leanest times I've ever seen. But if you didn't see this day coming, you haven't been very observant.

This is a generalization, and I'm not busting your chops so much as making a broad observation. It wasn't very long ago that .22lr was $10 a 500 pack, 9mm was $7 for a 100 round WWB pack, and winchester brass cased .223 55gr FMJ was $8 for 40 rounds. These were retail, non-volume walmart prices. Watch those prices climb incrementally and anyone paying attention would likely plan for the day when this happened.

I've always had shotguns and rifles(25 years) while occasionally buying the odd box of handgun ammo. True enough I've not been shooting on a regular basis for years but availability was never the issue before that it is now. This is worse than '06 or '08.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I am not a prepper. I don't keep any ammo stocked up at all. Shame on you selfish people hoarding all the ammo. .gov needs to redistribute and you must relinquish your fair share.

That's just it, you don't need any because there are enough MDS members that have your back! :party29::party29:

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County

Figure out how many rounds that you want to shoot per year and buy twice as much as soon as the prices come down. This will cover you for all kinds of issues including ammo price fluctuations due to raw material cost. Replenish your supply yearly if possible. It is only good economics.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I've always had shotguns and rifles while occassionally buying the odd box of handgun ammo. True enough I've not been stockpiling for years but availability was never the issue before, that it is now. This is worse than '06 or '08.

I agree. It is absolutely the worst availability I've ever seen. For someone who hasn't shot on a regular basis, it's easy to think 1k is a LOT of ammo. But, the more you shoot, the quicker you realize that 1k is a drop in the bucket.

It's the same way with reloading. In all honesty, my personal philosophy is double the amount of ammo you would project to use in the next 10 years and have enough to reload every case at least once and then you've got a good starting point. If you have less than that, you are WAAAAY behind the curve. It sucks. I wish I didn't feel this way. But I think ammo is going to be hard to get for a long time to come, and it's going to stay very expensive. I hope I'm wrong. If I'm not, well, I hope I've prepared accordingly. And this is just from a recreational shooting standpoint.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009

Antigun people don't need ammo...Antigun people are usually communists foisting their ideas on others (how much food, ammo, water, is too much)

:party29:

:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom