Fishing Kayak, sit on top or sit in? Why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    I'm 99% sure I'm gonna go with the pescador pro 120 for myself and 100 for her. Unless she wants a sit in, then probably a perception sound 10.5.

Gonna check them out this weekend and see how I feel about them in person.

One thing nobody's mentioned (so maybe it only applies to me) is that finesse fishing and casting can be more difficult from a sit-in. Mrs. GnR and I have had a Perception/Aquaterra Keowee 2 since 1994. She still absolutely hates casting from it. I can identify with her, since I often need to hold my hands higher than I normally would when fishing. This can be hard on the shoulders and more fatiguing when I'm casting frequently over extended periods of time ... and then need to paddle home against the tide. I find flipping and pitching much more difficult when my seat-bottom is at or below the waterline too.

Caveat - I'm comparing a sit-in to experience from a canoe or johnboat, since I haven't actually fished from a sit-on kayak ... yet. I did take my new kayak out on its maiden voyage this past Saturday, but didn't bring fishing tackle.

chipd

May 20, 2017
    Just remember that a sit on top or inflatable kayak is easily re-entered if flipped. you just reach over, grab the boat on the far side, pull it towards you to flip it over, and climb back in . if you capsize a sit in kayak, you're rather screwed.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    One thing nobody's mentioned (so maybe it only applies to me) is that finesse fishing and casting can be more difficult from a sit-in. Mrs. GnR and I have had a Perception/Aquaterra Keowee 2 since 1994. She still absolutely hates casting from it. I can identify with her, since I often need to hold my hands higher than I normally would when fishing. This can be hard on the shoulders and more fatiguing when I'm casting frequently over extended periods of time ... and then need to paddle home against the tide. I find flipping and pitching much more difficult when my seat-bottom is at or below the waterline too.

Caveat - I'm comparing a sit-in to experience from a canoe or johnboat, since I haven't actually fished from a sit-on kayak ... yet. I did take my new kayak out on its maiden voyage this past Saturday, but didn't bring fishing tackle.

koPHP7R.jpg

That's what I've been fishing out of for the past 12 years. 80s model Coleman Crawdad. Its awesome just heavier than hell and hard to load on top of my Jeep. I've fished sit in and sit on top kayaks, I much prefer sit on tops.

I'm upgrading the seats and floor and adding some storage areas for this season. My buddy seems to think I don't even need kayaks lol.

Just remember that a sit on top or inflatable kayak is easily re-entered if flipped. you just reach over, grab the boat on the far side, pull it towards you to flip it over, and climb back in . if you capsize a sit in kayak, you're rather screwed.

That's what I've been telling her.

Last edited:

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    I second what has already been said regarding 10feet vs 12feet. Get the 12, if you can only have one boat.

The problem with kayaks is they lead to more kayaks. I'm at five now: Aquaterra Prism 14, Ocean Kayak Trident in 11 and 13 feet, a Necky Dolphin 14, and Heritage Redfish 17.

Of all of them, I use the Ocean Kayak Trident 11 (which is really a 12 footer) the most.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA

What, no bomb proof Eskimo Roll???? :party29::party29:

Gotten too old and creaky for that fun now, but there was a time, and I always had an attached spray skirt......

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    m'eh... let's see that with 60lbs of various gear, cooler, bait bucket, tackle and rod holders, on a 75 pound SOT fishing kayak. If he could roll THAT, I'd be impressed.

WV11BCDH

Aug 8, 2017
    Check out vibe kayaks if it hasn't been mentioned already! They are very stable sit on tops. We put a lot of disabled veterans on the water during the summer and they work well for us. I don't recommend a sit inside just for the space. If your just looking to float a sit in be fine but any fishing I highly recommend a sit on top.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    Yes, there's no point in even considering anything other than a SOT if you're fishing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom