• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    Anywhere within the city limits of Frederick it seems just about any discharge is forbidden. It does specifically mention air rifles...but not air pistols. I wonder if target practice in my back yard with my Crosman 1377 is ok?

---------------------------------------------------------
    Sec. 15-17. - Firearms—Discharge within city.

It shall be unlawful for any person to fire, discharge or set off any gun, rifle, pistol, revolver or other firearms, air rifle, cannon, torpedo, squib or other dangerous weapon of any character within the city without a written permit from the chief of police and director of safety; provided, that this section shall not apply to members of any military company when engaged in drilling or target practice under the command or direction of any officer thereof, or to the use of firearms in the lawful defense of person or property, or to the use of firearms by members of the police department in the lawful discharge of their duty.

(1961 Supp., § 12.49)

http://spires.cityoffrederick.com/c...H15OFIS.html#PTIITHCO_CH15OFIS_S15-17FIISWICI

slimj0e

Aug 12, 2012
    i have a cop friend near frederick that says its not ILLEGAL but depending on stuff like the officer or type of gun or whatever it can be illegal

Shutterbug

Have camera, will travel!
    Nov 24, 2012
    AACo
    i have a cop friend near frederick that says its not ILLEGAL but depending on stuff like the officer or type of gun or whatever it can be illegal

"If you win the games you should, and don't lose the games you shouldn't..."(loose Madden quote)

maddogthegreatest

Nov 19, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Howard County prohibits virtually anything that fires a projectile from use in a residentail area, including air-soft and paintball. It is a rediculous law that some-one should repeal.
    What kinda of society are we live in??
    I used to play with my bb gun in my backyards.

Cannot even play with a BB gun in MoCo and HoCo?? :banghead:

I see many roofing and siding forks using NAIL GUN around my neighbors.
    I guess I can play with my NAIL GUN shooting 5 inch NAILS from now on..:draw:
    OR CANNOT even play with those??

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    What kinda of society are we live in??
    I used to play with my bb gun in my backyards.

Cannot even play with a BB gun in MoCo and HoCo?? :banghead:

I see many roofing and siding forks using NAIL GUN around my neighbors.
    I guess I can play with my NAIL GUN shooting 5 inch NAILS from now on..:draw:
    OR CANNOT even play with those??

Not even a Nerf gun

Jan 28, 2013
    I live in hoco and frankly they will just have to ticket me. I am on 3 acers 1 of which is woods and tridelphia is behind my woods. I hunt my woods with my slug gun and muzzleloader. I will be damned if they tell me I cant shoot my RWS .177 1000fps air rifle on my 3 acre property.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    There is an exception for hunting (but not target practice) in HoCo

Sec. 8.403. - Special provisions for hunting.

(a)
    Notwithstanding section 8.401 of this subtitle, a licensed hunter may discharge a gun if the hunter:
    (1)
    Is lawfully hunting outside the Metropolitan District:
    (i)
    On property the hunter owns; or
    (ii)
    On other property with the prior written permission of the owner; and
    (2)
    Complies with subsections (c) and (d) of this section and all applicable state laws or regulations.
    (b)
    Notwithstanding section 8.401 of this subtitle, a licensed hunter may discharge a shotgun if the hunter:
    (1)
    Is lawfully hunting on not less than ten acres inside the Metropolitan District:
    (i)
    On property the hunter owns; or
    (ii)
    On other property with the prior written permission of the owner; and
    (2)
    Complies with subsections (c) and (d) of this section and all applicable state laws or regulations.

Not sure when this was enacted, it may fail the state's preemption clause

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    i am curious about this for carroll county as well.

i have an acre in a quiet community and i can definitely setup a sufficient backstop.

one of my neighbors is a bit of an ******* though so i am not real sure if he would try to cause me problems or not.

would hate to get a felony for an "assault pellet gun" in my back yard.

I'm teaching my boy about gun safety and use a pellet gun regularly (and safely) on my property. Unfortunately it looks like an assault rifle, so here in PRM it's probably illegal. Time to go read the laws so as not to count on the police officer's interpretation thereof.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    There are pellet guns that are dramatically quieter than others - its an option
    Exactly...and depending upon the layout of your property, it may also be possible to fire from within a structure, e.g. shed or garage, outside into the target at a downwards trajectory. Without an obvious sound profile, silhouette of a person with rifle, or chance of pellets ricocheting or errantly leaving your property, what's there to complain about?

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I just read up on HOCO rules:
    This section shall not apply to:
    The discharge of guns where necessary to protect life or property, including crops or livestock, or to kill any dangerous threatening animal; or to

Which means I am fully allowed to protect my property as opposed to cower in fear and wait for the police to show up hours later if someone is breaking into my car or home, or trying to steal my beloved Fluffy.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have a very elaborate target/backstop/trap arrangement (3 sides and a top, like shooting down into a giant barrel) with a storage trailer parked on one side and I park my van in my driveway to block my shooting position from sight ... my neighbor on the other side shoots with me (actually some of them on the hidden side shoot with me too).

My Crosman Phantom will make a crack as loud as a .22 lr if the barrel or pellet is wet with oil. I try to remember to shoot the first shot into a trashcan to muffle the sound if it might Diesel.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I live in Glen Burnie and a few weeks ago there were some teenagers playing with airsoft guns in the big field across the street from me. Not hurting anyone or anything but the police came by and ran them off. I don't no the rules in my town but I only shoot my pellet rifle in the house. It does look like a real rifle and shoots 1200 fps. I'm sure one of my neighbors would call the cops on me if I dared to it shoot out in the back yard.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    He probably did not like the answers he got so he went somewhere else to find someone who would tell him what he wanted to hear even if it was wrong.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    A little Google-foo yields PeeGee's ordnance:

Prince George's County Ordinance Sec. 14-140.
    DIVSION 6. WEAPONS.

Set;. 14-140. Loaded weapons prohibited; exceptions.

(a) No person shall discharge or have in his possession. while loaded, any firearm. rifle, shotgun. revolver. pistol, air gun, air rifle or any similar mechanism by whatever name know, which is designed to expel a projectile through a gun barrel by the action of any explosive, gas, compressed air, spring or elastic, within one thousand feet (1,000) of any home or residence, other than his own,
    or any school or school grounds (private or public), church or church grounds, places of public assembly, public parks and playgrounds within the County, whether the weapon is loaded with blank or live cartridges or projectiles of any kind.

(b) This Section shall not prohibit the owner or tenant of any land from discharging such described weapons on his land for the purpose of the protection of his own property or the life of himself or his family, or killing predatory animals which prey upon, damage or destroy his property, livestock or crops.

This Section shaJl not apply to the discharging of such weapons where a permit has been issued by the Department of Environmental Resources.
    (Gen. Res. No. 11-1963, Sec. I; CB-49-1984)

http://www.berwynheightspd.com/select county ordinances.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom