• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TylerART

May 10, 2016
    I'd prefer to avoid springers and PCPs and I'd like it reasonably quiet.

It's not $250 or less but, I have a .25 cal Benjamin Marauder that is a PCP with built in suppression it’s very quiet. Shoots a .25 26 grain pellet @ over 800 fps. I can do less than 1 inch groups @ 50 yards. It will drop all pest animals like a rock probably the most humane way to take them out without using a 22LR. It more fun to see them explode using a 223 but not worth .50 cent a round.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I'm also looking at the Discovery PCP while doing a bit more research.

In my opinion, a Benjamin Disco PCP in 22 cal is one of the best backyard varmint/pest killers around. I've dropped many raccoons with one shot so it's got the power that you need for most animals. With the addition of a TKO brake to lower the sound volume my neighbors don't even know I'm out shooting, unless they happen to be in their backyards at the same time. And unlike most other PCPs, the pressure in the Discovery is low enough that a hand pump is feasible, freeing you from expensive tanks and adapters. Yet, it is powerful enough to have have great (accurate) flight characteristics across the length of most backyards.

It's a perfect fit for this application.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    In my opinion, a Benjamin Disco PCP in 22 cal is one of the best backyard varmint/pest killers around. I've dropped many raccoons with one shot so it's got the power that you need for most animals. With the addition of a TKO brake to lower the sound volume my neighbors don't even know I'm out shooting, unless they happen to be in their backyards at the same time. And unlike most other PCPs, the pressure in the Discovery is low enough that a hand pump is feasible, freeing you from expensive tanks and adapters. Yet, it is powerful enough to have have great (accurate) flight characteristics across the length of most backyards.

It's a perfect fit for this application.

Thanks for the feed back.

After watching numerous videos from Ted's Holdover and others, I'm really leaning towards the Discovery or even a Marauder PCP.

I'm also leaning towards the Marauder in .25 cal for three reasons; 1) the barrel is a green mountain barrel, .25 seems to hold pressure a bit better and have a hair more consistency in its velocity; 3) you can still hand pump that rifle.

For all of those reasons, along with the pricing (new, I'll probably try and source a used one), considering I don't want to mod it (though, I probably will be tempted), this is the way I am leaning.

Though, I will say, for those who have a sparrow problem, traps are highly effective! I'm down 2 males and 3 females in the last two weeks since original posting this. (It should be 3 & 3 but one of the males got loose when I was trying to handle and dispatch him).

The better news is that my tree swallows moved back in almost within 24 hours of dispatching the first pair that took over their box. That made me happy.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I am under no illusions that this rifle will work against the larger (coyote) or armored (armadillo) type pests. Mostly I want it for birds, groundhogs and maybe raccoons.

Don't forget, armadillos eat the hell out of fire ants!

But I can tell you that in a pinch a .308 does a good job on them
    :innocent0

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Though, I will say, for those who have a sparrow problem, traps are highly effective! I'm down 2 males and 3 females in the last two weeks since original posting this. (It should be 3 & 3 but one of the males got loose when I was trying to handle and dispatch him).

The better news is that my tree swallows moved back in almost within 24 hours of dispatching the first pair that took over their box. That made me happy.

My brother has trouble with sparrows taking over from his purple martins

He says the best bait for a male sparrow ... is a female sparrow

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    My brother has trouble with sparrows taking over from his purple martins

He says the best bait for a male sparrow ... is a female sparrow

I can confirm this.

Of the two males that I have dispatched, well, they did it themselves. Oh well.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    The Marauder is an excellent choice and will serve you well. The Green Mountain barrel, higher pressure and size of pellet you chose, and increased accuracy, are all great assets. I'd love to have one myself, but for my backyard the Discovery is more than sufficient. The Marauder would be my other choice besides the Disco. I'd only add two things for your consideration:
    1) I've had my Disco for two years now and have never had any trouble with it holding pressure. Indeed I leave it fully charged when not in use, and over both winters I've found it still fully charged come spring.
    2) While you can hand pump the Marauder I think you'll find it tiring and slow, and will soon want to upgrade to a tank.

Good luck in whatever you select.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    The Marauder is an excellent choice and will serve you well. The Green Mountain barrel, higher pressure and size of pellet you chose, and increased accuracy, are all great assets. I'd love to have one myself, but for my backyard the Discovery is more than sufficient. The Marauder would be my other choice besides the Disco. I'd only add two things for your consideration:
    1) I've had my Disco for two years now and have never had any trouble with it holding pressure. Indeed I leave it fully charged when not in use, and over both winters I've found it still fully charged come spring.
    2) While you can hand pump the Marauder I think you'll find it tiring and slow, and will soon want to upgrade to a tank.

Good luck in whatever you select.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep this in mind.

Clutch

Jan 10, 2013
    Severn
    I believe I may have stumbled into a new addiction by clicking on this forum and thread. Some pretty neat rifles and details to which I was mostly oblivious. Good info

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom