• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    There were 37 cars and a motorcycle down at the range today, for seven tables and a skeet range. Doesn't seem as if it would take much money to dig another hole and put in some more baffles, especially considering it's a Pittman Robertson range, and all the taxes on handguns and long guns that people pay; at an average of 12% tax on all guns, there had to be three-four thousand dollars or more just from the weapons people had down there today, probably more. Not to mention 20 bucks a person for licenses.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    hunting season is here and the weather is getting nicer hence you see more lots of ppl at the range. we could only wish for the range to be improved but not going to hold my breath on it.

9mm. CrazyAl said he saw you there yesterday.. we were there earlier the day and Al returned in the afternoon (that guy would camp there if he could.. lol).

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Yes, it always gets more busy around hunting season, or when the weather is nicer, but it's really not that close to hunting season and I haven't seen anyone sighting in slug guns. It's all AR's and handguns, some mil surp, and the odd black powder or target rifle, and .22's. In other words, it's nearly all recreational shooters. Which is what the Pittman Robertson tax on every gun we buy was designed to pay for, shooting ranges for recreation and hunting.

22 years ago, when they dug the current hole, it was a perfectly adequate range for this area. Now, especially with the Charles County Sportsman outdoor range closed, other places where people used to shoot closed down, and the huge increase in population of this area over the past two decades, the current range is woefully inadequate. I'm not certain how the revenue from the P-R Act is apportioned, but considering every time someone buys an AR they are paying an average of 120 dollars or so to that tax, it seems Myrtle Grove could afford to have a bulldozer down there to widen the existing hole or dig another one.

When there are 38 groups of people wanting to shoot on 8 locations, it would make sense to make more locations. Even if they just dug a short 25 yard hole for pistol shooters it would be better than nothing.

9mm

guns and glory
    Jul 21, 2009
    P.G County
    hunting season is here and the weather is getting nicer hence you see more lots of ppl at the range. we could only wish for the range to be improved but not going to hold my breath on it.

9mm. CrazyAl said he saw you there yesterday.. we were there earlier the day and Al returned in the afternoon (that guy would camp there if he could.. lol).

Yeah he was seated beside me sorry I missed you .

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    There's the rub.

CSSC is shutdown, with increased interest in shooting, an hour is not that bad.

Yesterday morning, I met a new BP shooter sighting in his rifle for the first time.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Myrtle Grove is an excellent range, and for 20 bucks a year, it can't be beat. On the other hand, sitting around for an hour or longer so you can shoot for an hour, is bad. And it can easily be more than an hour, since I've seen quite a few people who don't follow the rule about shooting only for an hour if someone is waiting.

Add in driving time and you're looking at spending 3-4 hours just to shoot for one hour, which is not an efficient use of free time. Not to mention all the people who come down once, wait in the long line, and don't come back. I saw several new people who said they were there for the first time today, and one who said he was there for the second time.

I think for our hobby we should try to encourage as many new shooters as possible, especially since this state goes out of its way to discourage shooting already. With a 12 percent tax on all firearm purchases, the range could easily be doubled in size, or tripled. I don't know where all the money is going, but it doesn't seem to be going to the shooting range. Two hours have been cut from the shooting time already, for no good reason. I'm thinking we should try to encourage whoever is in charge to increase range time and increase the size of the range. Maybe pass out pre-addressed postcards at the range for people to write in their name and a short request for another hole to shoot in, or something along those lines.

Even posting a sign with this web address on the shack down there might get more people registered or reading this forum, which can only help MG and the 2A in this state.

Outerlimits

Feb 21, 2009
    Port Tobacco/Cape Coral Fl
    Since, the range could hardly afford to build/rebuild target stands last year, and the clothes pins are getting pretty scarce, that doesnt seem to indicate that their is alot of money in the budget for modifications, and or enlargeing.
    Dont really know if the closing of the out door range and the SCSC has increased the number of new shooters or not. I have only talked to one person that said he used to shoot their.
    Too bad some of our brothers in Calvert couldnt convince their legislators their is a need for a public range, seems like the county must have some land some where we could use. Got public parks, and boat ramps, why not a range? AT least that way we would have two. I know you guys from St. Maries and Calvert get tired of driving to Myrtle Grove.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Sorry about the confusion, but the last time I mentioned "new shooters" I was referring to people who are just starting out in the hobby. I have seen quite a few people down there the past few months who are young and have their first handgun or file. Even some older ones shooting for the first time. But there are also many seasoned shooters who are new to MG arriving for the reasons stated earlier.

I know there has been talk for many years of a roof, but there is never enough money for that, and the time the tent roof was rigged with cable it had to be taken down. Even today when the range opened, there were only six usable target stands, the seventh having been shot to pieces yesterday.

The point I am trying to make is that every single time we buy a gun, more than 10 percent of the cost we pay is tax. The sole purpose of that tax is to fund recreational ranges. This range serves an extremely large population, which is buying a large number of guns. Therefore, there is a lot of money going somewhere.

Here is a brief background on the P-R tax we are all paying on every gun:

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/pitmann.asp

I'm suggesting we get more people to contact the people in charge and ask for more money to be spent on the range. I think if enough people start asking for a bigger range, we might get one. We could certainly get the range hours restored to 9-8pm since that isn't even a matter of money.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I live an hour away from Myrtle Grove in Calvert Co. and it's the closest rifle range. There's probably several million people in southern Maryland and MG is the only public shooting range. A lot of people from Virginia use it too. Last year when I went on a Saturday during good weather I ended up waiting for over an hour to get a table. That was the last time I went on a weekend. Now I take off from work to go on weekdays. It's a good range and the price is unbeatable but I would definitely pay a lot more money to be able to shoot some place closer to my home.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    I go because I meet up with MDshooters members there..

there are pistol and rifle ranges that are closer for me.. none cheaper ( or outdoors! )

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I know there has been talk for many years of a roof, but there is never enough money for that

If we can find enough people who care about a roof, we might be able to make a change, the process was started last year and we're steaming slowly ahead. If more people would step up and take charge of their issues instead of dreaming about change, make a difference and sign the petition:

Myrtle Grove Roof Over The Range Petition

We can get everything we want, we just have open our mouths and let the right people know we want it...

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Since, the range could hardly afford to build/rebuild target stands last year, and the clothes pins are getting pretty scarce, that doesnt seem to indicate that their is alot of money in the budget for modifications, and or enlargeing.
    Dont really know if the closing of the out door range and the SCSC has increased the number of new shooters or not. I have only talked to one person that said he used to shoot their.
    Too bad some of our brothers in Calvert couldnt convince their legislators their is a need for a public range, seems like the county must have some land some where we could use. Got public parks, and boat ramps, why not a range? AT least that way we would have two. I know you guys from St. Maries and Calvert get tired of driving to Myrtle Grove.

It's also pretty obvious that Charles County could use another public range as well. I stay on the tails about this issue with my contacts in Southern Maryland with DNR / Maryland state and from what I have been getting back in replies regarding DNR / State lands, it seems like our counties "lease" most of the land they have, the downfall is, they don't have the abilities to make long term investments in the lands, they might have to sell it. If you don't get a group of people together to press the issue with the proper departments, you'll never get your change, as I said before, everybody complains, but, few take the time to make an effort to change the situation.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

Clothes pins are $1.00 at any dollar store for 100/bag
    2x2x8 costs $1.37 at Lowe's

I pay $20.00 / year for a permit

I bought the first months worth, you'd think with permits alone there'd be no excuse for not having clothes pins or target stands for the whole year, but, the money goes to the state, not the shooting range and if guys who shoot would hit the paper and not the wood, the world would be great.

or build your own and bring it with you.

jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    If we can find enough people who care about a roof, we might be able to make a change, the process was started last year and we're steaming slowly ahead. If more people would step up and take charge of their issues instead of dreaming about change, make a difference and sign the petition:

Myrtle Grove Roof Over The Range Petition

We can get everything we want, we just have open our mouths and let the right people know we want it...

I signed the petition, first I 've seen this. :thumbsup:

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    If some of the locals want to handle the logistics and legalities involved, we could arrange a fundraiser through mdshooters.com.

Even a few hundred members giving a few dollars would raise enough for the roof, with some donated labor.

hailtoby

Running with the Devil.
    Sep 5, 2009
    Charles County
    If some of the locals want to handle the logistics and legalities involved, we could arrange a fundraiser through mdshooters.com.

Even a few hundred members giving a few dollars would raise enough for the roof, with some donated labor.

From my understanding, they would not even accept the money.

I think l1x1 has talked to Dan about it before and the managment(not Dan) doesnt like that idea. He can comment better than I can about it, but I dont think it can happen.

My favorite MG time: overcast and cold on Friday mornings...no wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom