• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    Hello, I will be turning 21 soon and would like to build an ak pistol that I will eventually turn into an sbr. I know I could just buy and ak pistol, but I'm a bit of a project person. For the build, I am planning on getting one of the pre heat treated Recreator Blanks with the rails and support pin installed. I would like to build it as a pistol for now, but use a rifle rear trunnion with an ar buffer tube adapter and brace, so that I would be able to use the original wooden stock once the sbr paperwork comes back. I plan on getting a populated barrel and head spacing it once everything is riveted in. I feel confident enough to do the build, but the riveting tooling is very expensive, especially since I will not be making a bunch of these. Would anyone be able point me in the right direction with the most cost effective way to rivet the front trunnion, rear trunnion, and trigger guard. Also, if anyone has the tooling to rivet everything, I'd be willing to rent or even bring to you if possible! Thanks!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Not many people in MD would be comfortable in assisting you, as long as you're intending to use a rifle trunnion on a pistol build.

I went thru that myself with my pistol build, as I had the same thought initially. I wound up chopping the tang off, and then I finally had some offers of assistance.

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    Not many people in MD would be comfortable in assisting you, as long as you're intending to use a rifle trunnion on a pistol build.

I went thru that myself with my pistol build, as I had the same thought initially. I wound up chopping the tang off, and then I finally had some offers of assistance.

Thanks for the idea! I may end up having to do that if I can't find any alternatives. I'll keep it it mind!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    One thing to consider is SBR paperwork only takes a few weeks for an electronic form 1 now. So if you wanted to go SBR, you might want to consider assembling parts, file the form 1 and assemble.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    One thing to consider is SBR paperwork only takes a few weeks for an electronic form 1 now. So if you wanted to go SBR, you might want to consider assembling parts, file the form 1 and assemble.

This. People forget the versatility of an SBR.

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    You can use harbor freight bolt cutter and replace the jaws with riveting jaws instead of using jigs for the trunnions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom