Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > NFA/Class 3/Title II
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old August 14th, 2019, 09:20 AM #1

Best good 30 Cal Suppressor for the money

So im new to the NFA world, just picking up my first handgun can 6 months ago. Im enjoying it so much that i think its time for a rifle can. My question is:
Im wondering if anyone can give me their recommendations on a good 30cal can thats hearing safe for 308/stainless/not sure if I want direct thread or quick detach and no more than 5-550? I talked to John at Gymratz and the one he recommended was the YHM resonator which looks good. I regret not researching my 45 can more and only want to buy one rifle can so i just want to weigh my options. Im thinking stainless vs titanium to keep cost down but I'm pretty much looking for the quietest can i can get both metered and tone. Thanks for any insight...
Buster Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 09:33 AM #2
i pi

i pi

I recommend direct thread, its more versatile and muzzle devices for QD are not great. You will have another rifle to put it on.... eventually

I also think you need to ask yourself for the 30 cal what is the application. Mag dump at the range, or 5-7 shots in a hunting application? And by ".30 cal" are we talking 7x62x39, or 300 win mag? Some 9mm cans are rated for a few shots from a rifle round, up to and including 308: https://www.griffinarmament.com/revo...ilencer-mod-3/

My advice is to go for versatility, not a single use rifle application, or even the "quietest,"** because for a long time you will have way more rifles / pistols than suppressors. It will be convenient to move the suppressor from rifle to rifle (to pistol as applicable). But, whether you plan to do a mag dump at the range, or kill a hog, I think determines what you want.

** "quietest" : most suppressors will reduce the sound 25-30 dB.Be skeptical of the ratings, YMMV
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 09:48 AM #3

My SDN6 wasn’t over priced. Great with 300 BO. Decent with 5.56. I don’t mind the weight because it takes away a lot of recoil.
Elrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 10:12 AM #4

While it's not the cheapest option, the Griffin optimus has proven to be a great first suppressor for me. It's versatile because you can format it in a bunch of different configurations and with adapters (yes, there is cost) you can run it on basically anything 300 win mag and below. I've found it great because the adapters that I purchased for the optimus are compatible with the revolution 45 can that I bought also.
GolfR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 10:28 AM #5
Jew with a Gun

Jew with a Gun

The YHM Resonator is generally considered one of the best bang for buck options in 7.62. Disagree completely with the premise that direct thread is best; way too many cans start unthreading themselves.
Old August 14th, 2019, 10:30 AM #6
i pi

i pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post
The YHM Resonator is generally considered one of the best bang for buck options in 7.62. Disagree completely with the premise that direct thread is best; way too many cans start unthreading themselves.
The QD muzzle device can unthread itself too, dont ask me how I know.
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:21 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
I recommend direct thread, its more versatile and muzzle devices for QD are not great. You will have another rifle to put it on.... eventually

I also think you need to ask yourself for the 30 cal what is the application. Mag dump at the range, or 5-7 shots in a hunting application? And by ".30 cal" are we talking 7x62x39, or 300 win mag? Some 9mm cans are rated for a few shots from a rifle round, up to and including 308: https://www.griffinarmament.com/revo...ilencer-mod-3/

My advice is to go for versatility, not a single use rifle application, or even the "quietest,"** because for a long time you will have way more rifles / pistols than suppressors. It will be convenient to move the suppressor from rifle to rifle (to pistol as applicable). But, whether you plan to do a mag dump at the range, or kill a hog, I think determines what you want.

** "quietest" : most suppressors will reduce the sound 25-30 dB.Be skeptical of the ratings, YMMV
Im looking to run it on everything from .223 to 8mm mauser. I dont do much mag dumping but full auto rated would be a plus for the occasional wild hair up my ass. Mostly it would be 5.56 and 308 semi autos for target practice. I have handguns covered. Just need something for my rifles.
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:29 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post
I originally was thinking direct thread but, your right about the unthreading. Im constantly checking my pistol can and it gets annoying. Guess my only considerations are how versatile a quick attach can is and how much money id have to spend on muzzle devices because i have quite a few rifles i like to cycle through. What i mean by versatility is the occasional rifle with weird European thread pitches. i guess i can still put an adapter in between and check if its concentric.
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:36 PM #9

I have a thunderbeast 30 cal and happy with it. Certainly not cheap in comparison to others.

I would buy the best one you can afford. $200 tax stamp and 9 months of waiting to only be "OK" with your purchase isnt' my cup of tea.
Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:53 PM #10
For great Justice

For great Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfR View Post
While it's not the cheapest option, the Griffin optimus has proven to be a great first suppressor for me. It's versatile because you can format it in a bunch of different configurations and with adapters (yes, there is cost) you can run it on basically anything 300 win mag and below. I've found it great because the adapters that I purchased for the optimus are compatible with the revolution 45 can that I bought also.
Just got my Optimus out of jail, and a couple range trips, love it. It works on so much stuff, and works well. It's a couple ounces heavier than the best 9mm pistol cans, larger/heavier than most 22 cans, and about the going size, maybe a bit long compared to dedicated rifle cans, but performance is good on all. The adapters work with their other cans, and if nothing else you can try most things and see if additional cans are worth it. I can swap it around to fit on 9mm carbines w direct or 3 lug mounts, 22-30 cal rifles, direct thread for hangun cal rifles and 22s, and it includes the booster assm for pistols. Their taper mount muzzle devices are awesome, even without a suppressor, and they have an A2 adapter to use on ANY properly concentric A2 equipped rifle. It's best as a 9mm pistol/carbine and a taper mount 223-308 cal rifle can IMO.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > NFA/Class 3/Title II