Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > NFA/Class 3/Title II
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2019, 09:20 AM #1
Buster Brown Buster Brown is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 43
Buster Brown Buster Brown is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 43
Best good 30 Cal Suppressor for the money

So im new to the NFA world, just picking up my first handgun can 6 months ago. Im enjoying it so much that i think its time for a rifle can. My question is:
Im wondering if anyone can give me their recommendations on a good 30cal can thats hearing safe for 308/stainless/not sure if I want direct thread or quick detach and no more than 5-550? I talked to John at Gymratz and the one he recommended was the YHM resonator which looks good. I regret not researching my 45 can more and only want to buy one rifle can so i just want to weigh my options. Im thinking stainless vs titanium to keep cost down but I'm pretty much looking for the quietest can i can get both metered and tone. Thanks for any insight...
Buster Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 09:33 AM #2
danb's Avatar
danb danb is online now
i pi
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 18,683
danb danb is online now
i pi
danb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 18,683
I recommend direct thread, its more versatile and muzzle devices for QD are not great. You will have another rifle to put it on.... eventually

I also think you need to ask yourself for the 30 cal what is the application. Mag dump at the range, or 5-7 shots in a hunting application? And by ".30 cal" are we talking 7x62x39, or 300 win mag? Some 9mm cans are rated for a few shots from a rifle round, up to and including 308: https://www.griffinarmament.com/revo...ilencer-mod-3/

My advice is to go for versatility, not a single use rifle application, or even the "quietest,"** because for a long time you will have way more rifles / pistols than suppressors. It will be convenient to move the suppressor from rifle to rifle (to pistol as applicable). But, whether you plan to do a mag dump at the range, or kill a hog, I think determines what you want.

** "quietest" : most suppressors will reduce the sound 25-30 dB.Be skeptical of the ratings, YMMV
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 09:48 AM #3
Elrod Elrod is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 32
Elrod Elrod is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 32
My SDN6 wasn’t over priced. Great with 300 BO. Decent with 5.56. I don’t mind the weight because it takes away a lot of recoil.
Elrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 10:12 AM #4
GolfR's Avatar
GolfR GolfR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Columbia MD
Posts: 1,041
GolfR GolfR is offline
Senior Member
GolfR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Columbia MD
Posts: 1,041
While it's not the cheapest option, the Griffin optimus has proven to be a great first suppressor for me. It's versatile because you can format it in a bunch of different configurations and with adapters (yes, there is cost) you can run it on basically anything 300 win mag and below. I've found it great because the adapters that I purchased for the optimus are compatible with the revolution 45 can that I bought also.
GolfR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 10:28 AM #5
erwos's Avatar
erwos erwos is offline
Jew with a Gun
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 10,090
erwos erwos is offline
Jew with a Gun
erwos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 10,090
The YHM Resonator is generally considered one of the best bang for buck options in 7.62. Disagree completely with the premise that direct thread is best; way too many cans start unthreading themselves.
__________________
Things I love: bullpups, mag-fed shotguns, Glocks-not-made-by-Glock, .458 SOCOM, 6.5 Grendel, giving my opinion
Things I hate: .40S&W, KeyMod, AR pistols with buffer tubes, anything with an arm brace, fad-of-the-day long-range calibers
erwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 10:30 AM #6
danb's Avatar
danb danb is online now
i pi
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 18,683
danb danb is online now
i pi
danb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 18,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post
The YHM Resonator is generally considered one of the best bang for buck options in 7.62. Disagree completely with the premise that direct thread is best; way too many cans start unthreading themselves.
The QD muzzle device can unthread itself too, dont ask me how I know.
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:21 PM #7
Buster Brown Buster Brown is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 43
Buster Brown Buster Brown is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
I recommend direct thread, its more versatile and muzzle devices for QD are not great. You will have another rifle to put it on.... eventually

I also think you need to ask yourself for the 30 cal what is the application. Mag dump at the range, or 5-7 shots in a hunting application? And by ".30 cal" are we talking 7x62x39, or 300 win mag? Some 9mm cans are rated for a few shots from a rifle round, up to and including 308: https://www.griffinarmament.com/revo...ilencer-mod-3/

My advice is to go for versatility, not a single use rifle application, or even the "quietest,"** because for a long time you will have way more rifles / pistols than suppressors. It will be convenient to move the suppressor from rifle to rifle (to pistol as applicable). But, whether you plan to do a mag dump at the range, or kill a hog, I think determines what you want.

** "quietest" : most suppressors will reduce the sound 25-30 dB.Be skeptical of the ratings, YMMV
Im looking to run it on everything from .223 to 8mm mauser. I dont do much mag dumping but full auto rated would be a plus for the occasional wild hair up my ass. Mostly it would be 5.56 and 308 semi autos for target practice. I have handguns covered. Just need something for my rifles.
Buster Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:29 PM #8
Buster Brown Buster Brown is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 43
Buster Brown Buster Brown is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post
The YHM Resonator is generally considered one of the best bang for buck options in 7.62. Disagree completely with the premise that direct thread is best; way too many cans start unthreading themselves.
I originally was thinking direct thread but, your right about the unthreading. Im constantly checking my pistol can and it gets annoying. Guess my only considerations are how versatile a quick attach can is and how much money id have to spend on muzzle devices because i have quite a few rifles i like to cycle through. What i mean by versatility is the occasional rifle with weird European thread pitches. i guess i can still put an adapter in between and check if its concentric.
Buster Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:36 PM #9
Speed3 Speed3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 5,107
Speed3 Speed3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 5,107
I have a thunderbeast 30 cal and happy with it. Certainly not cheap in comparison to others.

I would buy the best one you can afford. $200 tax stamp and 9 months of waiting to only be "OK" with your purchase isnt' my cup of tea.
Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:53 PM #10
alucard0822's Avatar
alucard0822 alucard0822 is offline
For great Justice
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 14,043
Images: 11
alucard0822 alucard0822 is offline
For great Justice
alucard0822's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 14,043
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfR View Post
While it's not the cheapest option, the Griffin optimus has proven to be a great first suppressor for me. It's versatile because you can format it in a bunch of different configurations and with adapters (yes, there is cost) you can run it on basically anything 300 win mag and below. I've found it great because the adapters that I purchased for the optimus are compatible with the revolution 45 can that I bought also.
Just got my Optimus out of jail, and a couple range trips, love it. It works on so much stuff, and works well. It's a couple ounces heavier than the best 9mm pistol cans, larger/heavier than most 22 cans, and about the going size, maybe a bit long compared to dedicated rifle cans, but performance is good on all. The adapters work with their other cans, and if nothing else you can try most things and see if additional cans are worth it. I can swap it around to fit on 9mm carbines w direct or 3 lug mounts, 22-30 cal rifles, direct thread for hangun cal rifles and 22s, and it includes the booster assm for pistols. Their taper mount muzzle devices are awesome, even without a suppressor, and they have an A2 adapter to use on ANY properly concentric A2 equipped rifle. It's best as a 9mm pistol/carbine and a taper mount 223-308 cal rifle can IMO.
__________________
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > NFA/Class 3/Title II


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2019, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service