Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > NFA/Class 3/Title II
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old August 14th, 2019, 02:19 PM #11

I have a Silencerco Omega and love it. Direct thread or quick attach.
Just remember that just because you have a suppressor doesnít mean itís hearing safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbird7282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 03:12 PM #12

I had a long post typed up but lost it:

1.) Set your expectations for what a silencer is supposed to do for you in a realistic manner. EG supersonic rifle rounds aren't going to be that quiet, a high backpressure suppressor can cause issues with semi autos, semi autos are kind of loud even with subsonic ammo, etc.

2.) YHM Resonator seems to be the default choice. I have a YHM turbo and love it, though I built a rifle specifically to accommodate the somewhat gassy nature of the can. Apparently the Resonator is fantastic on a bolt gun and ok to solid on semi autos, particularly .223.

3.) In .30 Cal I own a Griffin Optimus, Q Thunder Chicken, Rugged Micro 30, and Dead Air Wolverine. They all do a great job at what I bought them for, but I use the Optimus the most. It's just so versatile and sounds nice. The Thunder Chicken sounds better to me, but it is not really versatile.

4.) The big thing that cans do that many people do not appreciate is lessen or eliminate fatigue. Even if I double up on earpro shooting can be fatiguing after awhile. Particularly indoors. Adding a can seems to really cut that down for me.

5.) Good luck and don't overthink too much! Lots of companies produce great products at competitive prices. Nothing is going to be perfect or even good at everything.
fbi_surveillance_van is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 03:54 PM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbi_surveillance_van View Post
I had a long post typed up but lost it:

1.) Set your expectations for what a silencer is supposed to do for you in a realistic manner. EG supersonic rifle rounds aren't going to be that quiet, a high backpressure suppressor can cause issues with semi autos, semi autos are kind of loud even with subsonic ammo, etc.

2.) YHM Resonator seems to be the default choice. I have a YHM turbo and love it, though I built a rifle specifically to accommodate the somewhat gassy nature of the can. Apparently the Resonator is fantastic on a bolt gun and ok to solid on semi autos, particularly .223.

3.) In .30 Cal I own a Griffin Optimus, Q Thunder Chicken, Rugged Micro 30, and Dead Air Wolverine. They all do a great job at what I bought them for, but I use the Optimus the most. It's just so versatile and sounds nice. The Thunder Chicken sounds better to me, but it is not really versatile.

4.) The big thing that cans do that many people do not appreciate is lessen or eliminate fatigue. Even if I double up on earpro shooting can be fatiguing after awhile. Particularly indoors. Adding a can seems to really cut that down for me.

5.) Good luck and don't overthink too much! Lots of companies produce great products at competitive prices. Nothing is going to be perfect or even good at everything.
The optimus option is sounding good. As far as some cans being more gassy, thats a good consideration. As far as back pressure, how does the optimus compare to the resonator? I can see suppressing bulpups like a tavor or an aug being not so pleasant.
Buster Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 04:30 PM #14
For great Justice

For great Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
The optimus option is sounding good. As far as some cans being more gassy, thats a good consideration. As far as back pressure, how does the optimus compare to the resonator? I can see suppressing bulpups like a tavor or an aug being not so pleasant.
The Optimus is really mild as far as gas blowback goes compared to a few cans I have tried, the main stack and end cap for 30cal is 9mm, only the rifle blast baffle is 30 cal, and the 22cal end cap is ONLY supposed to be used in the short direct thread/3 lug configuration, not with the taper mount/ blast chamber setup, so the relatively large baffle/end cap diameter might be why. It isn't all that gassy for 9mm either, possibly as it's relatively large with few baffles for a 9mm suppressor, not as quiet, but definitely more pleasant to shoot than a 9mm revolution can I tried on an AR9.

these are the main configurations I have tried, it's amazingly versatile for a single can:
minimalist blast shield, hammer comp taper mount on 9" 300BO
Name:  34.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  56.7 KB

included booster, short config on G19
Name:  20190814_160546.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  54.1 KB

3 lug adapter, short config on 7" AR9
Name:  20190814_132849.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  51.6 KB

direct thread, short config 22LR, can only use the booster on a fixed barrel in rimfire calibers, for centerfire, you need the solid direct thread adapter, or the fixed barrel adapter(solid aluminum spacer instead of the booster spring)
Name:  20190814_132635.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  58.7 KB
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 05:54 PM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
The Optimus is really mild as far as gas blowback goes compared to a few cans I have tried, the main stack and end cap for 30cal is 9mm, only the rifle blast baffle is 30 cal, and the 22cal end cap is ONLY supposed to be used in the short direct thread/3 lug configuration, not with the taper mount/ blast chamber setup, so the relatively large baffle/end cap diameter might be why. It isn't all that gassy for 9mm either, possibly as it's relatively large with few baffles for a 9mm suppressor, not as quiet, but definitely more pleasant to shoot than a 9mm revolution can I tried on an AR9.

these are the main configurations I have tried, it's amazingly versatile for a single can:
minimalist blast shield, hammer comp taper mount on 9" 300BO
Attachment 265926

included booster, short config on G19
Attachment 265927

3 lug adapter, short config on 7" AR9
Attachment 265928

direct thread, short config 22LR, can only use the booster on a fixed barrel in rimfire calibers, for centerfire, you need the solid direct thread adapter, or the fixed barrel adapter(solid aluminum spacer instead of the booster spring)
Attachment 265929
That optimus is really looking good. The can i got is the Gemtech GM-45 and its been a huge let down. While it is light and quiet while wet
-the pistons are very inconsistently machined
-piston gets jammed even with bearing grease
-running wet with electrode gel only lasts about 8 rounds till its dry and loud again.
-is pretty loud dry
-pistons are stupid expensive (over $120/piece)
-no spacers made for running a piston on a carbine)
and it wasnt a super cheap can to begin with
Buster Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:20 PM #16

I run the Optimus on a couple 5.56 rifles in mid and long configuration, and don't have to adjust anything. And I'm left handed. No real blowback to the face. I am not sure what the suppression numbers are but it sounds good in pistol and rifle configuration to me. Very quiet with subsonic 9mm, and it doesn't make either of my Glocks malfunction. The huge number of compatible accessories means it has fairly unique capabilities (like compatible QD muzzle devices for 9mm PCCs if you don't like trilug).

Be advised, if you go ask at arfcom or another gun website, the suppressor people will probably try to talk you out of an Optimus. It's not the absolute quietest, lightest, lowest blowback, not belt fed rated, Griffin did some shoddy repairs on a suppressor somewhere once, etc. But I've been very happy with mine and Griffin is responsive if you ask a question the one or two times I've emailed them about something. For instance, I asked about a particular muzzle device being compatible with the mid length Optimus setting. A person emailed me back within a few minutes, gave me a phone number to call direct to answer more questions, and offered to take my order personally to ensure I got the correct variant of the muzzle device I wanted.

I think it's a great option that most suppressor owners would be very happy with, but that describes the majority to cans from reputable companies these days.
fbi_surveillance_van is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:43 PM #17
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
I recommend direct thread, its more versatile and muzzle devices for QD are not great. You will have another rifle to put it on.... eventually
There is an easy work-around.....get another QD mount. I use my 762-SDN-6 on 5 different rifles. I have an AAC 51t mount on all of them. The only time a QD mount is a problem is if you have a gun you donít want a muzzle device on.
MSRPA BOD
I touched Heller.....
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:46 PM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
There is an easy work-around.....get another QD mount. I use my 762-SDN-6 on 5 different rifles. I have an AAC 51t mount on all of them. The only time a QD mount is a problem is if you have a gun you donít want a muzzle device on.
Fan of the SDN-6 as well. Feels like it is built like a tank, mine locks up right. I do try to be conscious to press the little lever down when installing to keep wear down on the teeth. Very little POI shift and it is repeatable. Run it on multiple hosts.
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:51 PM #19
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB62 View Post
Fan of the SDN-6 as well. Feels like it is built like a tank, mine locks up right. I do try to be conscious to press the little lever down when installing to keep wear down on the teeth. Very little POI shift and it is repeatable. Run it on multiple hosts.
I do the same when installing. Use it on .308, 5.56, .300 BLK, 6.5....
MSRPA BOD
I touched Heller.....
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:56 PM #20
i pi

i pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
I am a fan of my SDN. Not a fan of AAC's muzzle devices.
danb is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > NFA/Class 3/Title II