Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old August 13th, 2019, 04:15 PM #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJS View Post

I've never spotted a felon, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to tell.
The most dangerous guy I ever saw there was an old heavy set friendly looking white guy who was moving around a lot behind the lanes with an apparently loaded revolver. Made me think.
blipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 04:33 PM #32

If you don’t mind shooting outdoors and it isn’t too far, I prefer Elk Neck State forest gun range in North east. $10 for the whole day, covered bench’s, skeet range...

Just have to bring your own targets and stands.
18wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 05:59 PM #33
HVAC Expert

HVAC Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezracer View Post
It's not uncommon for ranges to pull in outside air. So, either put up with it, go when it's cooler, or go somewhere else.
They all pull outside air to make up for the ventilation exhaust - its just a matter of whether its conditioned or not. Freestate used to leave the make up heat off until people complained too.

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 08:48 PM #34

I forgot all about TSS in Avondale PA. I may try them. Seems from reading most of the posts FS is just worried about the $$$$$.

I don't feel "Deplorable"
Makanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 08:56 PM #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18wheeler View Post
If you don’t mind shooting outdoors and it isn’t too far, I prefer Elk Neck State forest gun range in North east. $10 for the whole day, covered bench’s, skeet range...

I remember being my one and done during a summer weekend in 1998, like 3 other people there which is probably rare even for a weekday current time.

Some middle aged guy wearing an orange shirt walking around stunk like bourbon and when we were rolling out he was pouring himself another in a red solo cup.

Whatever, at least he wasn't shooting. I guess the worst he did was hop in his car and drive home with one eye open
PapiBarcelona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 09:48 AM #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO2012 View Post
I used to go to Free State and was even a member at one point. I stopped going for a number of reasons.

1) Their policies, namely no drawing from a holster and no concealed firearms on their property.

2) The ridiculous wait times.

3) The fact that they cater to criminals and make no effort to exclude them. They allow criminals to use their range with stolen firearms. Video from their CCTV system has been introduced as evidence in court showing murderers and other violent felons practicing at their facility. It's very obvious who these people are. If I owned a gun range there's no way in hell I would allow someone who looks like they stepped off the set of the movie "Colors" to enter my range with a beat up Bersa Thunder and some loose rounds in a shopping bag. I know several Police Officers who refuse to shoot at Free State because they don't want to practice with known felons in the next lane. It's only a matter of time before they have a murder occur on their property.

Personally, I have no use for Free State. I belong to a small club out of state and when I want to shoot I make the trip there.
Just curious exactly how would they, or anyone else (like myself), KNOW there is a "known felon" stopping in to shoot at the range, or already shooting on the lane next to them?

I've also been a multi-year member there...although RARELY go lately due to other things going on. When I do, it is weekdays, mid afternoon, and aside from Holidays, have never waited for a lane...ever.

I have absolutely been there when "questionable" shooters have entered.

Have also seen an employee hand over a rented full auto AR to a young couple who had just stated that neither of them has ever even fired a rifle of any sort.

Weekends...I do not even bother attempting to go there. Not worth the aggravation, or the wait, IMHO. It is basically amateur hour and reeks of being a free for all. The few times I tried in the past, the highest wait time I've ever been quoted, was an hour.

The old Horst & McCann gives priority to paid members, so if there is a waiting line, you still go in first, before the non-members. I think any paid (up front and in full) member, at any range, should have that perk...although I still am not dumb enough to go there on a Saturday or Sunday morning, lol
71Chevelle427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 10:27 AM #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18wheeler View Post
If you donít mind shooting outdoors and it isnít too far, I prefer Elk Neck State forest gun range in North east. $10 for the whole day, covered benchís, skeet range...

Great suggestion!!! I might have a new range to stop by on my drive to NJ for the weekends!

-Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cherno83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:38 PM #38

Problem with Elk Neck is that there is never a range officer there and you can get some pretty shady individuals and/or some pretty unsafe behavior there as well. I have had to pack up and roll out early because of that a few times.

I haven't been to Free State in several years. I am sad to hear it has gotten so bad there.
Boxtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 02:59 PM #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtop View Post
Problem with Elk Neck is that there is never a range officer there and you can get some pretty shady individuals and/or some pretty unsafe behavior there as well. I have had to pack up and roll out early because of that a few times.

I haven't been to Free State in several years. I am sad to hear it has gotten so bad there.

Dam...it's that bad? I guess I need to go there when the weather is really bad and no one wants to shoot hahaha

Cherno83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 07:57 PM #40
Rookie Jedi

Rookie Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno83 View Post
Dam...it's that bad? I guess I need to go there when the weather is really bad and no one wants to shoot hahaha

Staff is great, i just try to go off hours. Last time i did go to try a new rifle, it was a weekend and there were lots of rentals with girlfriend's.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting