• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Folks that have followed Hooligan threads know we enjoy shooting black powder. We like to make white smoke in BPCR's like our Sharps rifles, various BP revolvers like Walker's, Army's and Navy's and (of course) muzzle loader long guns. And the ML's we shoot range from cap locks like an 1861 Springfield and a Whitworth to rock rifles. With that said:

Last winter I picked up a Pedersoli Blue Ridge Flintlock. I didn't get much input on that thread: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=232254 At its first range trip I was not impressed. The rifle shot 15" low at 50 yards. No matter, with other priorities the rifle went on my back burner for a while.

Fast forward:

Rather than wait till next spring to figure out what the BR needed, I started looking for rear sights that would give me elevation adjustments. (Yeah, I could have filed down the front sight, but I didn't want to do that). I came up with this Marbles sight from Buffalo Arms: https://www.buffaloarms.com/marbles-flat-top-sporting-rear-sight-1-7-8-long-mar006301. For $20? it was sure worth a try! I spoke with the folks at BA. They were very helpful. The sight took <5 minutes to install! :thumbsup:

You can see by our targets from today how much difference something as simple as an elevation adjustable sight can make on a flintlock. My first three shots at 25 yds with 90 grs. of 1.5G KIK BP and a .490 patched ball made it clear we now have elevation control.

For the 50 yd shot 4570 went up a notch with the same load. We should have stopped there for the day because it doesn’t get any better than that. ;)

Having a sight that works makes all the difference. And I'm liking shooting "rock rifles" more after every range trip!

:)

Attachments

• Marbles Rear Sight Capture.jpg
      Marbles Rear Sight Capture.jpg
      24.5 KB · Views: 719
    • BA Rear Sight Installed Capture.jpg
      BA Rear Sight Installed Capture.jpg
      51.8 KB · Views: 770
    • DSC02274 P Blue Ridge Snip.jpg
      DSC02274 P Blue Ridge Snip.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 708
    • DSC02249 BR 25yd target.jpg
      DSC02249 BR 25yd target.jpg
      25.6 KB · Views: 701
    • DSC02253 BR 50 yd target.jpg
      DSC02253 BR 50 yd target.jpg
      24.4 KB · Views: 695
    • 4570 Blue Ridge Capture.jpg
      4570 Blue Ridge Capture.jpg
      48.2 KB · Views: 719
    • CombatAK Blue Ridge Capture.jpg
      CombatAK Blue Ridge Capture.jpg
      52.2 KB · Views: 707
    • j8064 Blue Ridge Capture 02.jpg
      j8064 Blue Ridge Capture 02.jpg
      49.2 KB · Views: 686

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Thanks OCJ

Having a sight system on a rifle that fits the need is a good thing. Especially when it only costs $20. ;)

Fact is it's not as simple as "just replacing" a sight. I learned the first step was measuring what I had and calculating where I wanted to be. What I found was:
    • The fixed factory rear sight (pics below) was .681 above the center line of the bore.
    • The front sight was .809 above the bore C/L.
    • With those measurements I could compare and estimate the elevation range above the bore C/L the adjustable Buffalo Arms sight would give me.
    • Of course knowing the size of the dovetail is kinda important too.
    It all comes down to numbers. And math is our friend! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Factory Sight i Rifle Capture.jpg
      Factory Sight i Rifle Capture.jpg
      84.7 KB · Views: 648
    • DSC02291 Original Rear Sight.jpg
      DSC02291 Original Rear Sight.jpg
      34.2 KB · Views: 652

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Thanks OCJ

Having a sight system on a rifle that fits the need is a good thing. Especially when it only costs $20. ;)

Fact is it's not as simple as "just replacing" a sight. I learned the first step was measuring what I had and calculating where I wanted to be. What I found was:
    • The fixed factory rear sight (pics below) was .681 above the center line of the bore.
    • The front sight was .809 above the bore C/L.
    • With those measurements I could compare and estimate the elevation range above the bore C/L the adjustable Buffalo Arms sight would give me.
    • Of course knowing the size of the dovetail is kinda important too.
    It all comes down to numbers. And math is our friend! :thumbsup:

You got it buddy, and yeah 20 bucks is Great !

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Changed out the sights that came on my Blue Ridge for front and rear Lyman sights. The front has a white bead that helps it stick out in low light for deer season. It ain't PC or historic but I shoot it better.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Yet Another Sight Upgrade...

Most folks know we Hooligans also shoot a lot of BPCR's. Various Sharps and rolling block rifles typically find their way to our shoots. And we can thank 4570inMD for mentoring us a ton! :bowdown:

A Pedersoli 1874 Sharps joined my collection a couple of years ago. Being a competitive guy it was clear the original factory buck horn and blade sights weren't gonna make it. So I added an "entry level" Vernier tang sight from Track of the Wolf and a really nice Lee Shaver front globe sight (first two pics below). That as an improvement, but nowhere near the same league of my competitors like 4570 and CombatAK.

The TOW Vernier sight is OK, but wasn't going to work for me. My biggest hesitation was justifying a $400 investment in a quality tang sight to replace it. Then recently 4570 loaned me a Montana Vintage Arms Soule to try. OMG! It works great!

It was cold and windy yesterday. But my first range sight-in tests with the new sight set-up made a world of difference in my shot placements. The combination of the MVA Soule and the LS globe front sight helped me put hand loaded 45-70 BP rounds on target! Now it's a matter of figuring out the right load to keep groups tight enough to successfully get out to long range targets.

Oh, and the "sticker shock" of buying quality sights? That's gone. I spent another $100 today and ordered an MVA Magnum Eyedisc for it! https://montanavintagearms.com/product/sights/mva/eye-discs/

To quote my mentor's text to me today (that'd be 4570):
    You have been thoroughly 'enabled'

That's OK. It's what we do. And I'll say again: What a difference a sight makes!

Attachments

• TOW Vernier Sight Capture.jpg
      TOW Vernier Sight Capture.jpg
      26.5 KB · Views: 391
    • Lee Shaver Globe Sight installed Capture.jpg
      Lee Shaver Globe Sight installed Capture.jpg
      39.4 KB · Views: 383
    • MVA Soule Sight Capture.JPG
      MVA Soule Sight Capture.JPG
      66 KB · Views: 389
    • Pedersoli Sharps w MVA Soule Capture.jpg
      Pedersoli Sharps w MVA Soule Capture.jpg
      65.3 KB · Views: 407
    • DSC02391 Snips - Sharps Sights.jpg
      DSC02391 Snips - Sharps Sights.jpg
      58.2 KB · Views: 398
    • DSC02408 Sharps - 50 yd - 405 HB - 59 gr KIK.jpg
      DSC02408 Sharps - 50 yd - 405 HB - 59 gr KIK.jpg
      45 KB · Views: 383
    • MVA Hadley Eyedisc Capture.JPG
      MVA Hadley Eyedisc Capture.JPG
      37.2 KB · Views: 351

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    You are going to love that Hadley eye disc!!! And when did we become competitors? I thought we were teammates?

We are teammates! We learn a ton from each other and we always try to out shoot each other. That's part of the fun!

:thumbsup:

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Most folks know we Hooligans also shoot a lot of BPCR's. Various Sharps and rolling block rifles typically find their way to our shoots. And we can thank 4570inMD for mentoring us a ton! :bowdown:

A Pedersoli 1874 Sharps joined my collection a couple of years ago. Being a competitive guy it was clear the original factory buck horn and blade sights weren't gonna make it. So I added an "entry level" Vernier tang sight from Track of the Wolf and a really nice Lee Shaver front globe sight (first two pics below). That as an improvement, but nowhere near the same league of my competitors like 4570 and CombatAK.

The TOW Vernier sight is OK, but wasn't going to work for me. My biggest hesitation was justifying a $400 investment in a quality tang sight to replace it. Then recently 4570 loaned me a Montana Vintage Arms Soule to try. OMG! It works great!

It was cold and windy yesterday. But my first range sight-in tests with the new sight set-up made a world of difference in my shot placements. The combination of the MVA Soule and the LS globe front sight helped me put hand loaded 45-70 BP rounds on target! Now it's a matter of figuring out the right load to keep groups tight enough to successfully get out to long range targets.

Oh, and the "sticker shock" of buying quality sights? That's gone. I spent another $100 today and ordered an MVA Magnum Eyedisc for it! https://montanavintagearms.com/product/sights/mva/eye-discs/

To quote my mentor's text to me today (that'd be 4570):

That's OK. It's what we do. And I'll say again: What a difference a sight makes!

Nice! I put a Lee Shaver "economy" mod-range soule sight and the same front globe on my Pedersoli Sharps. Really worth it for my needs. I've still got some work to do getting a load developed for 500yds, but it's a hoot.

My dad's CPA Stevens .40-65 has the MVA with the Hadley. Really great sights and would've been my choice if I was shooting more than I do.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    Nice! I put a Lee Shaver "economy" mod-range soule sight and the same front globe on my Pedersoli Sharps. Really worth it for my needs. I've still got some work to do getting a load developed for 500yds, but it's a hoot.

My dad's CPA Stevens .40-65 has the MVA with the Hadley. Really great sights and would've been my choice if I was shooting more than I do.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I have the MVA mid range with the Hadley eyecup on my Shiloh Sharps 40-65. I don't think you can go wrong. I know that j8064 will have his 45-70 tuned in pretty quickly. We shoot quite a bit and I don't think there is anything that I enjoy shooting more than the Sharps. I do keep good company and that helps. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom