Age limit on manufacturing / possessing a handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nov 20, 2019
    The age question aside, if I were to buy an AR15 lower and build it into a pistol, it does NOT need to be registered with the state. Understand that the state has already “registered” the lower. If I do the same with an 80% lower, it still does not have to be registered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok this is helpful. So if I finished an 80%, I wouldn’t need to register? Since I can have a pistol for self defense under Maryland law, theoretically I could manufacture one for personal use? If age was out of the window, I wouldn’t need to register it if I’m allowed to own a handgun. I’m assuming the same rule would apply if I was under 21. I may need to ask people who studied law.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    In one post you say “yea, I’ll wait until I’m 21”, in another it’s “what if, what if”. Or like the “self defense” quote. No member is going to advise on how to circumvent Marylinistan law. Not with the fight we have been fighting. I just say do what you feel comfortable with knowing what possible consequences could be.

Attachments

• 6B6B40A5-38D8-4358-AA81-29141DDAA865.jpeg
      6B6B40A5-38D8-4358-AA81-29141DDAA865.jpeg
      73.7 KB · Views: 208
    Nov 20, 2019
    In one post you say “yea, I’ll wait until I’m 21”, in another it’s “what if, what if”. Or like the “self defense” quote. No member is going to advise on how to circumvent Marylinistan law. Not with the fight we have been fighting. I just say do what you feel comfortable with knowing what possible consequences could be.

Yeah, I feel like I have a gray area in which I could possible work in, but shouldn’t. I’m just now getting into guns, and now I realize why pro 2a people are leaving. Not even Virginia is safe anymore.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The seven day wait to pick up a stripped receiver should be a clue. Until the receiver is a rifle it is technically a registered firearm...i.e. 21 minimum age requirement. I wouldn't touch it. Just buy a cash and carry Maryland legal HBAR carbine and have fun with it until then.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    The seven day wait to pick up a stripped receiver should be a clue. Until the receiver is a rifle it is technically a registered firearm...i.e. 21 minimum age requirement. I wouldn't touch it. Just buy a cash and carry Maryland legal HBAR carbine and have fun with it until then.

Best advice ^^^^^^ It's not that long of a wait......

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    Yeah, I feel like I have a gray area..., but shouldn’t.

Good idea, you don't want to be the legal test case for this gray area. If it goes to a court battle and you win, you will have a very expensive lower. And if you loose, you could be bared from owning any firearms for life.

Nov 20, 2019

Yeah I have fun with my HBAR rifles, but the ar pistols are just so appealing to me. I don’t know the age requirement to build a 80% receiver, but if it is 21, I’ll have to wait. Rather not risk getting my 2nd amendment right taken away.

Nov 20, 2019
    Good idea, you don't want to be the legal test case for this gray area. If it goes to a court battle and you win, you will have a very expensive lower. And if you loose, you could be bared from owning any firearms for life.

While I could possibly be in the law, I enjoy being able to POSSESS firearms in general. There’s a higher chance of losing this battle versus winning. If I was made an example, I already know the state is going to try to persecute me to the fullest. I’m good just waiting until 21. You give the best responses in this thread.

Nov 20, 2019

The only upside is that possession of an 80% is legal, and I’m pretty sure the atf states that if you can possess it, you can make it. Since it’s a pistol issue, I don’t feel confident in my interpretation of the law, but I’m interested in getting legal advice if I did choose to pursue this route. Last thing I want is a jail sentence. I don’t possess a pistol so I don’t know the process of legally being able to make one, but If someone over 21 makes an pistol from a lower, would they still need to register? I know dealers have to, but what if you are the manufacture? If they don’t have to register their homemade pistol in Maryland, theoretically I could make one under the exemption. But this is a long shot I’m not willing to take. Just looking for legal advice and answers.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    MD law states you must be 21 to possess a handgun. I arrest people quite often for violating this in the city. It’s a felony, btw.

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    The only upside is that possession of an 80% is legal, and I’m pretty sure the atf states that if you can possess it, you can make it. Since it’s a pistol issue, I don’t feel confident in my interpretation of the law, but I’m interested in getting legal advice if I did choose to pursue this route. Last thing I want is a jail sentence. I don’t possess a pistol so I don’t know the process of legally being able to make one, but If someone over 21 makes an pistol from a lower, would they still need to register? I know dealers have to, but what if you are the manufacture? If they don’t have to register their homemade pistol in Maryland, theoretically I could make one under the exemption. But this is a long shot I’m not willing to take. Just looking for legal advice and answers.

I saw this video made by a lawyer, that may answer your question. Not sure if he is licensed in MD. https://youtu.be/pXRj6KydI6o

Nov 20, 2019
    MD law states you must be 21 to possess a handgun. I arrest people quite often for violating this in the city. It’s a felony, btw.

I’m assuming you are a cop, so this is good that you are responding to me. Did you see the exemption part where it says you can possess one for self defense in your own residence if you are under 21? That’s the part I’m speaking about. Not sure if it actually holds weight or not so if you could tell me that would be great for practicality.

Sirex