• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Does anyone know where I can purchase inexpensive rifle cases (Plano, etc) that actually come in a cardboard outer box? I have a number of rifles to ship, I would just buy the cases, cut the cardboard lengthwise, turn it inside out and put it around the plastic case for shipping. Rifles are a pita to ship.. Thanks.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    If all you need is the cardboard shipping box, the UPS store sells a ‘guitar’ box. I placed a pelican 1750/1720 (can’t remember which) inside one when sending my daughters rifle to Lapua for Ammo testing.

I had to wrap the pelican in bubble wrap as the box was wider and longer than the pelican, but it got the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Thanks, I am looking for actual inexpensive plastic rifle cases made by Plano, Flambeau, etc. that are sold inside a cardboard outer box. They are inexpensive and I can cut and turn the outer box inside out to help disguise the contents. It's a cheap shipping investment for an expensive firearm, but most I see are sold bare with no box. I looked at the box linked above, it ends up at $35 each delivered for a lined cardboard box. thanks

Last edited:

10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    profile has no location. where are you ? I have some CMP cardboard boxes that they used to mail garands adn 1903's in. I have saved them long enough with no use. You can have 2-3 for nothing... I'm in 21087.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    profile has no location. where are you ? I have some CMP cardboard boxes that they used to mail garands adn 1903's in. I have saved them long enough with no use. You can have 2-3 for nothing... I'm in 21087.

thank you for the offer, i'm in Southern Md so it probably doesn't make sense but I greatly appreciate the offer. BTW 2-3 of the rifles I'll be selling/shipping will be very significant Garands.. :innocent0

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    In a perfect world I'd go to Walmart and buy a dozen inexpensive rifle cases in their outer cardboard boxes for ~$25 each and have an 'EZ button' to ship these rifles. Simple, clean, repeatable. But those I've seen locally are bare cases. thanks all

Last edited:

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Just buy some decent size cardboard boxes and cut, fold and tape it yourself - not that difficult.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Agreed, it should not be that difficult. I just purchased 15 rifle boxes from Uline but don't feel comfortable shipping $4-5-6000 rifles in them alone and am ok in investing the $25 if I can find new cases with outside boxes. If I can't find them, I'll just buy the cases, and cut up my boxes and make them fit. Again, I was looking for the EZ button when shipping a dozen rifles. thanks

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I have CMP cases on FB market place for $15 each. I may have a box that would fit it too but I am in Kingsville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Keep your eye out for a damaged Pelican case. I found one years ago for $25 that the owner had cut the lock hasps off to get it open. I didn't ask any questions but I'm guessing he liked the locks more than the case. I contacted Pelican and they sent me a return label and for the grand fee of $20 to ship, they sent me a brand new replacement Pelican case. Last check, a 1750 is just shy of $250, but they are very good cases.

I know a person who had a firearm stolen from a hard case shipped as checked baggage. He insisted TSA stole his firearm because the locks were still intact when it arrived. Despite the fact that it was demonstrated to him that his inexpensive, plastic hard case could easily be pried open wide enough by one person so that all of the contents inside could be emptied or pulled out with the locks remaining locked, he still insisted that TSA had stolen the firearm because the airline person told him that only TSA opens bags. Nothing was ever stolen from checked bags prior to 2001? Buy once, cry once.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Does anyone know where I can purchase inexpensive rifle cases (Plano, etc) that actually come in a cardboard outer box? I have a number of rifles to ship, I would just buy the cases, cut the cardboard lengthwise, turn it inside out and put it around the plastic case for shipping. Rifles are a pita to ship.. Thanks.

Check your local gun shop, they get them and toss them regularly. I hit my go to shop a few years ago for a cardboard box to ship a firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom