• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I just bought an FN upper with 20" hammer forged barrel to upgrade a pre-2013 rifle. I was going for a plain M16A2/A3 look. When I received the upper, I was a bit confused. It's a 20" government profile barrel...mostly. Forward of the FSB there is the M4 style grenade launcher cut out in the barrel. Why? The receiver has FN markings as does the barrel. So it's all FN stuff. Has this ever been a thing for military 20" barrels? It's a great looking upper. Fit and finish is excellent. I'm just kinda bummed they put an M4 cut on a 20" barrel. What gives?

Attachments

• IMG_8379.jpg
      IMG_8379.jpg
      75 KB · Views: 460

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I would not be bummed about the cut for a grenade launcher. I'd be bummed I did not have a grenade launcher to put on the thing.

Only real solution I see here is to get a grenade launcher.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Funny thing is(and I am not a military guy), on 20" M-16 A2, the 'cut-out' isn't used. The forend of an M-16 A2 carries the whole launcher. The cut-out is for the shorter M-4 carbines. Weird.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    That's what confuses me. I've actually never seen an M4 style cut out like this on a 20" barrel. I contacted FN to see if this is a mess up. Just waiting for their responses. Either way, I think I'll just keep it and make it into a Magpul MOE rifle. I need another upper to make my A3 build now.

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    As a fire team/squad leader, I carried an A2 with an M203 attached. It was a standard A2 with a heavy barrel, no cut-out.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    So I ended up sending back that first upper that had the incorrect barrel. It took about a month to receive my replacement.… and it has the same incorrect barrel as the first one. I think it's time for BCM.

Last edited:

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    If anyone is curious how all this turned out, Robert from FN stepped in and got me the correct upper from their own FN pro shop since Optics Planet couldn't, twice. FNs uppers do look amazing. Can't wait to get it out to the range. Thanks again to Robert from FNUSA!

Attachments

• IMG_8883.jpg
      IMG_8883.jpg
      64 KB · Views: 205

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Got my 20" HBAR upper from DS Arms and after placing it on the lower, I will have to get an A2 stock to really finish this build right. The barrel looks like an M-16 barrel, only thicker and without the cutout. Surely, this will lead to the acquisition of the proper bayonet at some point in the future.

I got it to the range last weekend for testing and sighting in and must say that it is now my favorite AR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom