• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    If you have time tomorrow, the show runs for 1 more day. Sometimes the best deals are gotten on the last day. Breeders want to pay for their tables and make a few dollars. Remember, every animal they take back home, they have to feed until the next show or it's sold.

It good just to get out into the herp crowd and see what's out there.

Thanks, but I have my kids tutor coming in. Like you said more interested in refreshing my knowledge and seeing what is out there. Not ready to rush into a purchase, animals are commitments and I need to be sure I am ready to jump back into that game.

That said, I miss my gecko's used to have a couple giant day gecko breeders that used to basically have run of the apartment when I was single. Dog was afraid of them and for little fragile things they could be fearsome if disturbed.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Don't know where you live, but there is a monthly reptile show in Havre de Grace. No where near as big. Actually pretty small, but you can walk around and see what's there, ask a few questions. Look for Rick Krumrine when you go to any of the shows in the area. His wife is a sweetheart. Rick can be short tempered if he's in a bad mood. He usually improves as soon as he sells a few reptiles.

http://mdreptilefarm.com/havre-de-grace-maryland/

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I was there today with my son. Place was packed which is good. Prices on Ball Pythons were really high. I did walk out with a 600g female albino for an ok price. Much better then the nations gun show today!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I was there today with my son. Place was packed which is good. Prices on Ball Pythons were really high. I did walk out with a 600g female albino for an ok price. Much better then the nations gun show today!

Ball Python pricing goes up and down about every 5-8 years. It's funny to see it from the outside now. When I bought my first Piebald, a hatchling was selling for $1000 to $1500 depending on the amount of white coloring. They went down to as low as $300 for a short time and now they're going back up in price.

What's your ball feeding on pinkies or hoppers?

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I've got 14 most are on small rats. A couple on crawler rats and 1 that is a mouser. I try to stay away from hatchlings so when I buy I look for snakes with some size.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've got 14 most are on small rats. A couple on crawler rats and 1 that is a mouser. I try to stay away from hatchlings so when I buy I look for snakes with some size.

That's a good plan. When I was breeding snakes, I didn't like to sell a snake until it at least doubled in weight from it's hatchling weight. It cost more but I felt that I had proven the snake would be an eater. Nothing worse than to have someone have a problem with the new snake. Although, husbandry was the problem 90% of the time. New snake owners need to understand the needs of their new snake. Young snakes don't take too well to respiratory infections and most owners won't pay the vet bill to properly treat this issue.

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    I went Saturday morning. I was hoping for more amphibians like salamanders, newts, and dart frogs. It would have been a waste for me if Josh frogs was not there. I am going to have to drive to hamburg for one their shows.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Do you know what percentage of dwarf you bought? It's very rare to find a 100% Dwarf Retic. Usually they are just crossed with hopefully a full dwarf. Sometime though, breeders will breed a regular Retic to a 50% or even a 25% dwarf.

You do know they still have the temperament of the regular sized Retic?

I wish you luck. I've got a 3 inch scar on my left hand from a Retic swallowing my hand. It continued to chew on my hand while I held it under water. The only way we got it off was to pour whiskey over it's head. The owner didn't have any pure grain alcohol, which is what should have been used.

Needless to say, I don't like Retics...

My wife was checking out a dwarf from one of the others vendors and got a little nibble. The one I got was a male super dwarf from Rick Krumrine. He had pics of both parents and supposedly the bloodline is from the island of Kalatoa. The female was 7' and the male was only 5'

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    My wife was checking out a dwarf from one of the others vendors and got a little nibble. The one I got was a male super dwarf from Rick Krumrine. He had pics of both parents and supposedly the bloodline is from the island of Kalatoa. The female was 7' and the male was only 5'

Just remember they have a very aggressive feeding response. Hold it very often to get it tame as soon as possible.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom