Friday:*** 3:00PM - 8:00PM
    Saturday:* 9:00AM -*5:00PM
    Sunday: 10:00AM - 5:00PM

ADMISSION:
    $20.00 for 3 day pass
    Adults: $13.00/day
    Teens 12 - 17 years: $7.00
    Children under 12: FREE

I went this past July, for the first time. I was just overwhelmed by so many choices. I went with the intention of buying a AR type rifle. I finally found a nice LWRC DI that was MD legal, but was overpriced by a couple of hundred dollars. I ended up buying from a local dealer, in MD. Not the best price, but was still over a $100 cheaper than at the show.

What was disconcerting to me was that there were several vendors who said that they were "95% sure" that they were MD legal, but that, ultimately, it was MY responsibility.

I think that, if they are selling these damn ARs, especially so close to MD, they should know if they are MD legal. These shady guys seemed to just want to make a sale, legal or not. I decided to not buy from them.

Frankly, the prices did not seem that great, from what I could see. The mags for Glocks seemed a bit high, compared to what I got online. The guy selling/installing the night sights for Glocks seemed overpriced. The firearms did not seem to be bargains. Some ammo seemed to be not too bad, but I have seen lower prices online.

I have to say it was kind of disappointing, for me.

Just one man's opinion.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I agree that you really need to know what the going rate is online as well as your LGS before you go to any gun show. Otherwise a smooth talking salesman may con you into paying more for something that he/she knows you want to buy. Regarding you point as to whether a particular firearm is MD legal or not, my guess is that they do not want to assume any liability for your purchase. However, I know that there is at least one MD dealer who attends the Chantilly show and does transfers for MD residents. If the vendor is interested in selling you the firearm, he/she may be willing to get said firearm checked out by the MD dealer before you pay for it. But only if they really want to make the sale!

Ultimately, I think that you did the right thing by supporting your local LGS. If you have any problems or questions regarding the firearm, you know that you can go back to them for help.

Cal68

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I will hold out for York. Mag prices are sometimes cheaper in VA but that Expo center is just drama in general.

TheAsterite

Aug 31, 2017
    How much were the SCAR 17 mags going for? You can PM me if you do not want to give the price for everyone to see. Thanks.

Cal68

One vendor, I think on the far right facing away from the entrance, had just 2 mags at $40 each incl. tax. I picked 1 of the 2 up.

K3LAG

You can find some pretty good deals amongst all the overpriced stuff if you try hard. I ended up with a .22lr rifle I was after for less than it would cost me to mail order it and when you factor in the transfer fee for mail ordering it to a MD dealer I ended up saving a good bit. You definitely have to know what your looking for and how much it should cost though because there are a lot of prices that are at best 'typical prices' and sometimes downright over priced.

Prepared folks can find good deals. I'm sure a lot of dealers make pretty good money from uneducated, impulse buys.

Of course, that is true in most businesses.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ill second that. There are few times I have been to Chantilly that I couldn't ferret out a deal of some sort. Just depends what you want, what you are looking for, where the market is and the diversity of sellers.

Just wasn't worth the time this round.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Agree you got to shop the vendors. glock 19 mags ranged from $20 to $35. I know the vendor that had them for $20 based on his website. He did NOT have the mags shown on his table - I had to ask. I also know he's got cz82 mags cheaper than anyone else.

Another vendor had $9 ar pmags. Never know what you'll find.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Went down today just because I was bored at home and glad I did. They had a lot of tables for the Garand Collectors Association members there with a lot of rare Garands on display and for sale. My first time seeing early M1’s with the gas trap system. It was a very interesting day talking to so many people about Garands.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    A dealer offered me a Gen 3 Glock 20 with two mags and night sights for $350. It was a hard choice, but I turned it down. I've gone so long without doing a 4473 that I couldn't break the streak.

There was a decent looking 1958 S&W Model 14 for $445. I hope a MD resident got it. It had some external wear, but everything was solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom