• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T48

Mar 5, 2018
    Anne Arundel Co.
    Any recommendations?? I have a Blue Sky import , looks like it was never cleaned . The bore is in terrible shape but the rest of the rifle is in good shape. Would like to make it into a match gun. Would like to know of any good recommendations, if it’s out of state. Thanks

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I had a Blue Sky import at one time. I think they were Korean surplus.
    I have a couple of barrels I want to list. A NOS Krieger heavy SS never installed as I went AR before I got around to it. And a parkerized 308 takeoff marked "Arlington Ord" (Blue Sky importer?) with a bright, shiny, bore and no visible wear. The marking is very tiny and where original part numbers go. It wasn't shot much before I pulled it off a Winchester receiver for someone who wanted to make his rifle "correct". He put a really poor "correct" barrel on it, more interested in chasing correctness than shooting.
    PM me if interested. They will be well below the going rate for a MDS member just to clean out my junk.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Options IMHO in no particular order:

1. NOS GI barrel (eBay etc)
    2. New criterion
    3. New Krieger

All will result in a nice garand match shooter.

Find someone to install it for you. Not to hard but some basic M1 tools required.

Fulton does fine work but takes a long time usually (backlog).

I was in the same boat with a blue sky barrel. I took option #1 but that's just me. Most cost effective option is probably the criterion.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have an Blue Sky M1 I purchased from FW Woolworth that used to be in Frederick back in the 1980s. It had a pre-war receiver and I bought a .308 match barrel from Brownells and built it into a match rifle...it's as accurate as any rifle I've ever fired. See if Brownells still carries them or something else you'd like.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Charlie Maloney is local, not sure if he is still working on them due to his arthritis, but worth a try. charliesarts@comcast.net or, www.charliemaloney.com
    You could contact Krieger barrels. They will install their barrel on your receiver. You need to send only the parts they require so, call first. You would still need to complete the rest of the build though.
    Sadly, most of the old school Garand smiths are retired or are no longer with us. IMHO, Fulton is overpriced.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    If you can wait until April you could try the nations gun show over in Chantilly on 4/20-4/22. There’s a guy that always seems to be at the show that specializes in M1’s and has wrote a book titled “M1 Garand Photo Essay”. His name is Larry Babcock and he has barrels and other parts for sale and he has the tools to remove and install barrels that he does at the show. He has the tools for sale if you want to do it yourself also. I’ve made multiple purchases from him. He is a wealth of information and knows so much about M1’s. Whoever does change your barrel, make sure you bring your bolt so they can check headspace.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I had Charlie Maloney replace the barrel on my Blue Sky import 2 or 3 years ago. The muzzle was extremely worn - maybe used to throw lots of grenades. I think the Criterion barrel and a trigger job set me back about $500 but I could be mistaken. Everything else was gauged and checked at the same time. I'm sorry to say I haven't shot it yet - my very bad.

When the Blue Skys were imported they went for about $350. Very dark greasy stocks. I think I paid about $500 for one that had good solid wood done by a vet who restocked and refinished them. Had the early trigger guard, '42 receiver and SA 49 barrel. At that point I didn't know enough to perform a very basic check - put a round in the muzzle. If it goes in to the neck of the cartridge neck it's shot out.

I have $1000 in a gun that's worth about $1000. I can live with that. On the other hand I traded a VOPO Luger in on that M1. Dumb. I want that Luger back.

If anyone needs a SA 49 barrel that can shoot around a corner I can set you up. :D

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Screwing on and head-spacing a garand barrel is not that difficult with a handful of basic gunsmithing tools. Even with that being said due to the design of the rifle there are many safety concerns that will need to be understood before diving in with a handful of parts just to get it to go bang. Making a match rifle out of it entails a few more details such as starting with the best receiver you can get, and then making sure the coincident of the barrel and receiver axial center-lines are correct, the gas cylinder is at 6 o'clock and there is a minimum of front end vibration after unitizing the parts.
    Not to mention a host of other details that will need to be attended to.
    I would recommend collecting all the necessary parts and inspect to be in as near spec as possible as a starting point. Mainly components other than the barrel which would be the easiest to source.
    Most rifles that shoot really well are all hand fit and not just dressed up with name brand parts.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Charlie Maloney is local, not sure if he is still working on them due to his arthritis, but worth a try. charliesarts@comcast.net or, www.charliemaloney.com
    You could contact Krieger barrels. They will install their barrel on your receiver. You need to send only the parts they require so, call first. You would still need to complete the rest of the build though.
    Sadly, most of the old school Garand smiths are retired or are no longer with us. IMHO, Fulton is overpriced.

^^^^^^This, x 100,000 on both counts.

1. Charles Maloney - FANTASTIC 'smith! (I've seen/shot an M1 Garand that he brought back from the junk barrel, which was also a Blue Sky 'return'.)

2. Fulton - dist's comment and more.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    I've used Criterion barrels on four rifles so far. I have gotten better accuracy than I ever did with any gov't barrels, and I've had some good gov't barrels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom