• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I worked up a load for 6x47 Lapua. I found a sub-MOA charge that's hovering around 3100fps with no pressure signs. I input the data into a ballistic calculator and it's spot on out to 400yds... 500 & 600yds, the round is in the dirt. Literally at the base of the target with a center hold.

I've used the calculator for the last 4-5 years and it's been accurate. I even tried two different calcs with the same data and they both agreed on the elevation required to get there based on the data. Any ideas?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Height above bore correct? That makes the most sense to me.

600 yards you should be right about 10 MOA.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Odd. If the BC is correct and the scope hasn't gone titts up the only other thing I would suspect is a chrono issue or some crazy headwind downrange.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Do a box test at 100 yards. Shoot a 5 shot group, put 10 min left, then 10 min up, 10 min right, then 10 min down. It should be in the same spot to where you started. ( shoot 5 shots after each 10 min correction).

Carefully measure each group to see they are 10 min apart.

Or a tall target test. Using a plumb line, your target will look like a thermometer. Shoot 100 yard zero, put 5 min up, shot again, then 5 more up, and so on to 20 or 30 minutes up. Measure how consistently the scope is tracking.

I don't think you will see it good enough with a bore sighter.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Do a box test at 100 yards. Shoot a 5 shot group, put 10 min left, then 10 min up, 10 min right, then 10 min down. It should be in the same spot to where you started. ( shoot 5 shots after each 10 min correction).

Carefully measure each group to see they are 10 min apart.

Or a tall target test. Using a plumb line, your target will look like a thermometer. Shoot 100 yard zero, put 5 min up, shot again, then 5 more up, and so on to 20 or 30 minutes up. Measure how consistently the scope is tracking.

I don't think you will see it good enough with a bore sighter.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom