• Marlin Model 60

Votes: 36 40.9%
    • Other

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Thanks for the video, I was wondering how to break it down. :)

no prob. I didn't have a need to take the bolt out for the video though. essentially, just lower the bolt a little until you can remove the bolt handle. next you can support the spring and guide rod as you lower the bolt out the bottom of the reciever. be careful not to kink the spring sideways removing and reinstalling it. It's probably pretty beneficial to polish the bolt and take the roughness off the inside where it rides. From the factory both surfaces are very rough.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Out of the box the 60 is superior, more accurate, better trigger, more reliable, and an easier to work tube mag, also it can handle 22 shorts, colibris and CB caps(you still have to rack the bolt manually, but they do feed from the mag).

The 10/22 only gets to be a better rifle with modification, and with that it has more parts available than most other firearms, and performing mods are about as easy as it gets. You can make a heavy barreled target rifle, light weight hunter, tactical plinker, or most anything else you could want with box mags from a flush fitting 10rd to huge 100rd drums.

So if you want a 22 with no fuss, get a 60, if you want a 22cal set of legos to build the perfect rifle get a 10/22. If your budget is flexible, then you may want to consider a Savage bolt action, or better yet, a CZ452/453(the best affordable 22 IMO, it's no Anchutz, but under $500 it's the best there is), they are both well worth the premium if you don't mind a manual action. The Henry lever actions are also simple and inexpensive, relatively accurate, and a ton of fun.

+1 Excellent post! You totally crystallized what I was thinking...
    that it depends on your intent for the gun, and your comfort level with tinkering with one...
    I grew up with a model 60... and more recently got a stock 10/22 for my son and one to tinker with for me which I've turned into a silhouette tack driver.

They're all great with your caveats in mind.

Lord Baltimore

Aug 26, 2010
    A Great day for me and my 14 year old son today, as I took my son to Continental and showed him how to shoot a real gun for the first time.

He took to shooting like a duck to water.

It was great seeing him right away getting good results on the targets, and teaching him how to use the gun, gun safety, and range protocol.

A Great father/son day.

After we went through 200 rounds, we watched some of the other shooters, then checked out the store, and cruised.

I took him home and he proudly showed the targets to my wife, then I showed him how to clean the gun.

I am so glad, I had the Marlin Model 60, it was the perfect gun for a first timer. It shoots like a laser beam, no recoil, and a quiet report. The Semi automatic makes it extra fun.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    A Great day for me and my 14 year old son today, as I took my son to Continental and showed him how to shoot a real gun for the first time.

I am so glad, I had the Marlin Model 60, it was the perfect gun for a first timer. It shoots like a laser beam, no recoil, and a quiet report. The Semi automatic makes it extra fun.

Thanks for posting your outing, this sentiment is missed by the vast majority of Americans today. Firearms are a fundamental part of American history. The more people that have an opportunity to enjoy this experience, the better off we all are.

Hat's off to you sir!

Lord Baltimore

Aug 26, 2010
    Thanks!

My Dad was not a gun owner but was a history buff. He took me to a few gun shows as a kid, and eventually he bought an old trap door Springfield indian war long rifle, which he never fired, but mounted on the wall in the family room.

I was lucky to go to a high school that had an indoor rifle range, and military surplus .22 rifles: bolt action .22s, with a peep sight. When I found this out, I joined the shooting club right away, and as a Freshman I developed a fondness for punching paper that has never died.

Its great to be able to enjoy hobbies and pass them on to your children. I felt very very proud watching my son shoot today. The boy is becoming a man. And today, one of the doors of adulthood was opened for him, and he waltzed on through.

Today was a very good day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom