• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    It looks as if the American Indians did not paint themselves red for decoration, but rather for hunting.

Ochre, iron oxide, under sunlight on the moist skin, generates aggressive chemicals. They transform body smell into odourless carbon dioxide and sterilize the skin from bacteria.

Read it all here. Now you can get real scent control just by spreading Red Iron oxide all over yourself. I think this interesting.

Maybe mix it with a little deer tallow like Bert's Bees and make paste. ;) Might stain my clothes a bit much though.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Cool. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you could just go to most places in Poolesville and get that rusty dirt for free though!

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I've always thought that just rolling around in the dirt and leaves would work better than any of the sprays sold.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Deer have more smell receptors than dogs do and research has shown that dogs can smell all the ingredients in a cake, where as we only smell the cake. So it would be easy to assume rolling in mulch makes us smell like mulch to us, but deer are likely to still smell the mulch and you together. The Red Ocher appears to actually kill the bacteria that makes our scent.

I know my daughter has used scent sprays at my buddies and our lab tracked her right to her tree stand when I wasn't paying attention. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom