• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Springfield Armory 5" Range Officer is a lot of gun for the money. Same as a $1400 Trophy Match sans the extras. And they shoot...accurate, reliable and decent trigger out of the box. I had a Trophy Match and am kicking myself for selling it several years ago.

There is/was one listed in the classifieds, low round count.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Springfield armory for their customer service alone. I had a very good experience with their CS....they earned a customer for life here.
    One day I'll go for a high end 1911, those Cabot 1911's sure are nice. Until then, SA is hard to beat with taking their CS into consideration in the mid range prices.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have a Range Officer 5" 45 ACP, so far so good. In case anyone is wondering why I was so specific, they make shorter barreled versions of the Range Officer, and they are offered in 9mm. I would love to see a full sized RO in 40 S&W so I could shoot Single Stack Major in USPSA.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I loved my Rock Island GI. Fantastic for the money. I also love my Colt 1991 series Government Model, model number O1991. USA Colt quality at a reasonable price tag. It's just a nice basic shooter that looks good doing it. Accuracy has been great for me. About 2000 rounds down range and only one stoppage with a hollow point from a cheap mag.

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpg
      IMG_0396.jpg
      107.3 KB · Views: 216

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Wow, that's nice

My vote would be for an original series 70.

I love my Series 70 Colt, but good luck finding one that hasn't been cobbled up into a race gun... and then bubba'd back or worse.

I sold a Springfield USGI model some years ago that was reasonably accurate and always reliable. My FiL had a Rock Island Arms that was pretty good too. I don't have any personal experience with the Ruger version of the 1911, but I've owned a bunch of Ruger rifles and pistols over the years... all have been great.

You mentioned Rock River... wow... great stuff. I aspired to their Bullseye Match model. My Gold Cup is nice, but can't hold a candle to it. Best of luck...

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    I have a Rock Island Officers model in 9mm and I just picked up a Full size Rock Island GI in .45acp. Both are nice guns and the fit and finish is nice, and the slides are tight. The 9mm is a great shooter, I have now shot the .45 yet but I have heard great things... here is a pic of the .45

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    7a8a60740e519f8805b90cfd19fed4b3.jpg

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I have a Rock Island Officers model in 9mm and I just picked up a Full size Rock Island GI in .45acp. Both are nice guns and the fit and finish is nice, and the slides are tight. The 9mm is a great shooter, I have now shot the .45 yet but I have heard great things... here is a pic of the .45

RIA makes a great gun for the money, whether you want just a basic GI .45 or something more towards the tactical or match pistol side of things, they offer a very nice selection, depending on the features you want and the price range you can handle. You really can't go wrong with an RIA IMO, and I predict you're going to love your GI model .45

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Don't forget to check with MDS Industry Partners when you buy. I was looking at some of the recommended guns on JLowes site and there are much better prices than Mfg suggested pricing.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I bought a RIA GI model in .45acp several years ago. Fresh out of the box, the pistol jammed quite a bit. However after a few hundred rounds, it's become one of the most reliable shooters I own. As a budget-priced gun, it doesn't get the hand-finishing that a higher-end model would receive. It took that number of rounds to loosen up the action to where it would cycle as John M. Browning designed it.

My only issue...not a complaint, is that the tiny front sight of the GI version is very hard to use. It's true to the original staked-on design, but I'm replacing it with a taller, more visible front sight, moving to an adjustable rear sight.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois

7a8a60740e519f8805b90cfd19fed4b3.jpg

Gorgeous !!

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks again.

Where in Southern Maryland (I live in Northern Calvert and work in Suitland) would you recommend going to look for either a Colt of a Springfield 1911?

I've never ordered a gun off the internet and would prefer to buy it face-to-face even if it costs a little more.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I loved my Rock Island GI. Fantastic for the money. I also love my Colt 1991 series Government Model, model number O1991. USA Colt quality at a reasonable price tag. It's just a nice basic shooter that looks good doing it. Accuracy has been great for me. About 2000 rounds down range and only one stoppage with a hollow point from a cheap mag.

Nice!

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Another vote for Rock Island, but I might be biased.

The Philippines has a long history manufacturing the 1911 pattern, and it's still an issue side arm there. My RI GI has been flawless. It's not top of the line, it could use some polishing, it's just a no-frills parked finish. But it functions just like it should and I paid less than $300 for it. I won't name names but I've been to the range with guys that spent far, far more on US models that had teething issues.

As others have said, the standard GI sights are probably the one downside but RI offers other models.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Another vote for Rock Island, but I might be biased.

The Philippines has a long history manufacturing the 1911 pattern, and it's still an issue side arm there. My RI GI has been flawless. It's not top of the line, it could use some polishing, it's just a no-frills parked finish. But it functions just like it should and I paid less than $300 for it. I won't name names but I've been to the range with guys that spent far, far more on US models that had teething issues.

As others have said, the standard GI sights are probably the one downside but RI offers other models.

As another plus, Rock Island has begun a manufacturing facility in Nevada. But I am not of the extent to how much product they are making there

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Ruger sr1911

I agree.
    I had a situation recently, where I temporarily lost my mind, again...evidently. :o

Offered mine for sale, with 9 magazines, and not one iota of interest, except for somebody asking if I wanted to accept a partial trade of a .22LR revolver, LOL. I don't want a .22 anything :sad20:

Someone would have scored pretty well, but glad they didn't. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom