• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jbram40

Jul 6, 2016
    So I just built my first AR pistol. Stag arms lower, Anderson LPK, shore tactical upper 10.5" carbine length gas .223 wylde, pistol buffer kit.

I shot it once and the first 40 round mag all fired no issue, but for some reason the next mag would shoot once. It cycled the next round but the trigger didn't reset. I had to pull the charging handle and eject a fresh round and then it would fire one more and do the same thing.

I got the carbine length gas because I heard it creates a more reliable weapon, but is the fact that I have carbine gas system and a heavy pistol buffer the reason the bcg isn't going back far enough to reset the trigger?

Thanks

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    So I just built my first AR pistol. Stag arms lower, Anderson LPK, shore tactical upper 10.5" carbine length gas .223 wylde, pistol buffer kit.

I shot it once and the first 40 round mag all fired no issue, but for some reason the next mag would shoot once. It cycled the next round but the trigger didn't reset. I had to pull the charging handle and eject a fresh round and then it would fire one more and do the same thing.

I got the carbine length gas because I heard it creates a more reliable weapon, but is the fact that I have carbine gas system and a heavy pistol buffer the reason the bcg isn't going back far enough to reset the trigger?

Thanks

So you're saying it ejected the spent case and loaded the next round but didn't reset the trigger? Were both mags loaded with the same ammo? Are the mags the same brand?

Jbram40

Jul 6, 2016
    So you're saying it ejected the spent case and loaded the next round but didn't reset the trigger? Were both mags loaded with the same ammo? Are the mags the same brand?
    Yes ejected spent casing, loaded new one. Same 40 round magpul pmags, same ammo, tried with 30 round pmags and hex mags also and same result

Pitbull410

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm not an expert at all but I believe I've read the cause of this on other sites could be an improperly installed trigger/hammer spring. Specifically an upside down spring. Something to check atleast, sorry if I'm way off.

Sorry I don't know specific terminology

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I'm not an expert at all but I believe I've read the cause of this on other sites could be an improperly installed trigger/hammer spring. Specifically an upside down spring. Something to check atleast, sorry if I'm way off.

This was my thought as well. Check the trigger assembly.

Jbram40

Jul 6, 2016
    Already checked it all out but I will look again. Had a buddy who has assembled multiple ar's walk me through. The fact that it shot the first 40 round mag no problem is really what has me confused

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I run a pistol length gas system with heavy buffer on my pistol, so I can't speak for a carbine length gas system for pistols.
    You could try a standard weight carbine buffer and see if that helps at all.
    I would play with a few different weighted buffers, test for better function.

Pitbull410

Aug 1, 2016
    Already checked it all out but I will look again. Had a buddy who has assembled multiple ar's walk me through. The fact that it shot the first 40 round mag no problem is really what has me confused

Good point, sorry not sure what else...

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013

This was my thought as well. Check the trigger assembly.

When you say you checked it out, did you take the trigger assembly out and take it apart? The spring being mentioned is the spring that has one end fatter than the other. The fat end she be pointing down inside the trigger assembly...I accidentally installed one upside down once and had to start over...

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I"m not an expert eather but i've built a few ARs and debugged a number of issues (with the help of fellow MDSers)
    did you load up the first mag and try again, thus isolating it to the 2nd mag only?

I have only giessell triggers so yours may be different but my trigger resets with the bolt about half way back.
    This I expect to happen before the round gets ejected.

You can look at how this works this with an unloaded AR.

Verify gun is unloaded
    Pull charging handle back.
    Safety off
    Pull trigger and hold trigger back (you should have heard a click), don't let go.
    Slowly pull charging handle backwards and listen for the click
    Note how far bolt goes back when you do this. With my giesselle, the bolt goes about half way.
    Let bolt go all the way forward.
    Now let go of trigger and you should feel/hear a 2nd click.

If you don't hear that 2nd click, the disconnector is not letting go when it should.
    If you don't hear that 2nd click, but pushing the trigger forward makes it click, again, that confirms the disconnector is not working properly.

The disconnector test can easily be done with just the lower and holding onto the hammer. Look for videos on this test on youtube.
    I simply suggested doing it above so you can see how far back the bolt needs to go to have the disconnector hold onto the hammer.
    My point being if your ejecting a round, the buffer/spring/gas should not be the issue for the trigger not resetting when letting go of the trigger.

I had a disconnector timing issue on a lower kit build once and the 2nd click yeilded the hammer going all the way down (would cause a 2nd round to be fired when releasing trigger). In my case, the disconnector piece was out of spec. I ground it down it to make it work to verify it was the issue, asked the MFG to send me a new one which they did. 2 weeks later put in a giesselle cause I like them so much.

Somewhat helpful video on standard trigger and disconnector
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2vL_Yu6rYU

This is not your problem but doing this test will show you how far back the bolt needs to go for a trigger to reset.
    In my case, the trigger is reset even when the bolt can short stroke.

You know you have a gas/spring/buffer/undergass situation when you fire one round in the mag and the bolt does not hold open.
    What I have done in the past on a new AR build per a suggestion from others is to shoot 10 rounds one at a time, each time the bolt should be held open.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I"m not an expert eather but i've built a few ARs and debugged a number of issues (with the help of fellow MDSers)
    did you load up the first mag and try again, thus isolating it to the 2nd mag only?

I have only giessell triggers so yours may be different but my trigger resets with the bolt about half way back.
    This I expect to happen before the round gets ejected.

You can look at how this works this with an unloaded AR.

Verify gun is unloaded
    Pull charging handle back.
    Safety off
    Pull trigger and hold trigger back (you should have heard a click), don't let go.
    Slowly pull charging handle backwards and listen for the click
    Note how far bolt goes back when you do this. With my giesselle, the bolt goes about half way.
    Let bolt go all the way forward.
    Now let go of trigger and you should feel/hear a 2nd click.

If you don't hear that 2nd click, the disconnector is not letting go when it should.
    If you don't hear that 2nd click, but pushing the trigger forward makes it click, again, that confirms the disconnector is not working properly.

The disconnector test can easily be done with just the lower and holding onto the hammer. Look for videos on this test on youtube.
    I simply suggested doing it above so you can see how far back the bolt needs to go to have the disconnector hold onto the hammer.
    My point being if your ejecting a round, the buffer/spring/gas should not be the issue for the trigger not resetting when letting go of the trigger.

I had a disconnector timing issue on a lower kit build once and the 2nd click yeilded the hammer going all the way down (would cause a 2nd round to be fired when releasing trigger). In my case, the disconnector piece was out of spec. I ground it down it to make it work to verify it was the issue, asked the MFG to send me a new one which they did. 2 weeks later put in a giesselle cause I like them so much.

Somewhat helpful video on standard trigger and disconnector
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2vL_Yu6rYU

This is not your problem but doing this test will show you how far back the bolt needs to go for a trigger to reset.
    In my case, the trigger is reset even when the bolt can short stroke.

You know you have a gas/spring/buffer/undergass situation when you fire one round in the mag and the bolt does not hold open.
    What I have done in the past on a new AR build per a suggestion from others is to shoot 10 rounds one at a time, each time the bolt should be held open.

This is a good place to start, top to bottom. Are those the same mags, same age, new or old? I've had the same problems with a warn mag follower. Replaced the follower, problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom