• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    We're going to extend our retail store hours on Saturdays for the winter and would like your input. We're currently open from 12-4 on Saturdays. Should we change our hours to 10-4 or 12-6? We're leaning more towards 12-6 but would like your opinion.

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Well, after getting bummed out a time or two, I'm reluctant to give an opinion, being brainwashed, deluded and all. But, I'm much more likely to shop later than earlier in the day.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Well, after getting bummed out a time or two, I'm reluctant to give an opinion, being brainwashed, deluded and all. But, I'm much more likely to shop later than earlier in the day.

That seems to be the consensus so far, but when I review our cameras, people are coming as early as 10:00 am to see if we're open. I was contemplating 10-6 on Saturdays, as well, but Saturday is the only day I get to "sleep in"... LOL

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have saved a lot of money over the years because stores don't open as early as I would like. I want to be done all my errands by noon so I can relax at home. I get up early. I like to shop early before everyone else is awake and moving around. Not that I'm likely to drive to Halethorp, but I'm unlikely to go to any store that doesn't open until noon.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I think you should be open 24/7 to serve the common working man/woman. If you stopped taking those trips to Belize, you could do that. ;)

Never been there but have been meaning to.With that said,IMHO Saturday's are a double edged sword,you have some who want to shop early and get home to enjoy the rest of the day,cut grass,whatever.On the flip side you have people who work (I'll say half days) and can only shop in the afternoon.I think 10-4 would be a good compromise plus it let's YOU have some Saturday time.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Never been there but have been meaning to.With that said,IMHO Saturday's are a double edged sword,you have some who want to shop early and get home to enjoy the rest of the day,cut grass,whatever.On the flip side you have people who work (I'll say half days) and can only shop in the afternoon.I think 10-4 would be a good compromise plus it let's YOU have some Saturday time.

I'm here 7 days a week anyway. Sundays are my day to catch up on all the stuff I didn't get done during the week. Take now, for example. I closed at 4 today and I'm still here... LOL

I'm here 7 days a week anyway. Sundays are my day to catch up on all the stuff I didn't get done during the week. Take now, for example. I closed at 4 today and I'm still here... LOL

I'm self employed so I feel your pain.With kids and too many hobbies I backed off a little and only open a few Saturday's here/there.I know 40 hours of open business hours is actually 50-60,Im sure it's more for a FFL.Given any thought to alternating,1st and 3rd Sat. 10-4,2nd-4th Sat. 12-6?

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I'm self employed so I feel your pain.With kids and too many hobbies I backed off a little and only open a few Saturday's here/there.I know 40 hours of open business hours is actually 50-60,Im sure it's more for a FFL.Given any thought to alternating,1st and 3rd Sat. 10-4,2nd-4th Sat. 12-6?

I thought about this, but my philosophy is "if we're not open, I don't make money". Everybody says "you need to take a break". I've been doing this for over 2.5 years now, so it's just another day of the week for me... LOL

I'm leaning more towards 10-6 for Saturday hours over the winter months. Over the summer, the honey-do list for most people doesn't include a trip to the gun store... LOL

I'll take everybody's comments into consideration and make a decision this week. I'll post the new hours when I do.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    My favorite gun shop once told me that if I ever arrived early and they were closed, to just call him personally at home. I never did that but remembered it for maybe this reason.

Whatever hours you decide to keep, I recommend you try to keep them for a long time; so it has to be times you can keep.

Good luck to you, we need all the gun shops we can keep in Maryland.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    My favorite gun shop once told me that if I ever arrived early and they were closed, to just call him personally at home. I never did that but remembered it for maybe this reason.

Whatever hours you decide to keep, I recommend you try to keep them for a long time; so it has to be times you can keep.

Good luck to you, we need all the gun shops we can keep in Maryland.

Even on the days I'm closed if a regular customer wants to pick up late or early, we'll accommodate them. Not everyone gets that service, though... LOL

There are VERY few customers who have my cell phone number, and I'd like to keep it that way. My phone rings enough. I would prefer not to have a few hundred people calling me about pricing or availability. No offense to anyone, but the little time I do have out side of here is spent sitting on the couch with my wife watching Designated Survivor or Walking Dead. It's not the quantity of time, but the quality of time I get to spend with her.

The time change is mainly due to the amount of business we do on a Saturday. We're normally packed from 12-4 and I think if I expand the hours that will allow us to do more without having to have Sunday hours. Since I'm here anyway, why not be open, right?

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I'd definitely lean toward the 12-6 side of things. It takes a lot to get me up before 11 on a Saturday.

I hear ya, and I don't exactly "want" to be in here any earlier than 12:00, but I looked at the cameras for the past 60 days and we've had at least 3-4 people every Saturday ring the buzzer between 10:00 and 12:00. I feel guilty and that I'm missing out on business when that happens... LOL

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Even on the days I'm closed if a regular customer wants to pick up late or early, we'll accommodate them. Not everyone gets that service, though... LOL

There are VERY few customers who have my cell phone number, and I'd like to keep it that way. My phone rings enough. I would prefer not to have a few hundred people calling me about pricing or availability. No offense to anyone, but the little time I do have out side of here is spent sitting on the couch with my wife watching Designated Survivor or Walking Dead. It's not the quantity of time, but the quality of time I get to spend with her.

The time change is mainly due to the amount of business we do on a Saturday. We're normally packed from 12-4 and I think if I expand the hours that will allow us to do more without having to have Sunday hours. Since I'm here anyway, why not be open, right?

Amen brother.

My better half is singing love songs in the other room as I type this and wonder through these threads. We are laughing and talking to one another even in different rooms - totally understand where you are coming from. Don't change that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom