• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    That's liberal speak.

I did not want to say it but that was my first thought! Hasn't "trigger lock on every firearm" laws been introduced or "must be locked in safe" ? How are those bills being perceived.
    To each their own, personally I'm going to pick up my emotional support animal today :)

P.S. - I do have respect for you Mr. Smith so no offense meant.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have a responsibility to protect my children and the children of invitees to my home from getting their hands on a loaded firearm. I also need to guard against the possibility of one of my guns being used against me.
    I have no responsibility to account for the actions of criminals. My guns wouldn't be out 'killing people', criminals are.

If your firearms are stolen from your house because they were "hidden" and not locked up, then your firearms are being used by criminals to kill people. By your actions, you allowed you firearms to be used to kill people. Just like if you left a loaded firearm on a table in your home and someone picked it up and killed someone else in your home. You would be responsible for your firearm that was used in the killing of another human being.

If your firearms were locked instead of hid somewhere, your firearms would not be in the hands of criminals to be used.

Gun ownership is a responsibility, one that is not to be considered lightly. By just hiding your firearms somewhere in your house, your inactions to prevent them from being stolen is what's the core issue.

Neglect is a very bad thing, but trying to pawn of your responsibilities on someone else is even worse.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I did not want to say it but that was my first thought! Hasn't "trigger lock on every firearm" laws been introduced or "must be locked in safe" ? How are those bills being perceived.
    To each their own, personally I'm going to pick up my emotional support animal today :)

P.S. - I do have respect for you Mr. Smith so no offense meant.

We are all entitled to our opinions, no matter how wrong they are... :innocent0

It's important to discuss these things. Enlighten me. That's what I'm here for. I am always willing to learn. The day we stop learning is the day we die. I'm hoping to learns new things for a very long time. ;)

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    If your firearms are stolen from your house because they were "hidden" and not locked up, then your firearms are being used by criminals to kill people. By your actions, you allowed you firearms to be used to kill people. Just like if you left a loaded firearm on a table in your home and someone picked it up and killed someone else in your home. You would be responsible for your firearm that was used in the killing of another human being.

If your firearms were locked instead of hid somewhere, your firearms would not be in the hands of criminals to be used.

The same argument can be made if your gun 'safe' is not a TL30x6. As shown earlier, most of the consumer grade containers can be breached with an axe or a battery powered angle grinder. Good for a smash + grab by a drug addict but not much of an impediment to an actual burglar. Those lockers that started the thread can be pried open with a regular wrecking bar.

Btw, I don't advocate hiding firearms. My reason to keep pistols in a safe is because they are a valuable, easy to carry and easy to fence item. I paid good money for them, I don't want them stolen.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

They are the result of this liberal thought cancer that wants to hold firearms owners responsible for the actions of criminal gang bangers.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert

Gun ownership is a responsibility, one that is not to be considered lightly. By just hiding your firearms somewhere in your house, your inactions to prevent them from being stolen is what's the core issue.

Neglect is a very bad thing, but trying to pawn of your responsibilities on someone else is even worse.

What good is a locked firearm for SD? Almost all of my firearms are locked, save a few scattered around (IE hidden) for emergencies.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    well this thread went to crap. If I destroy all my firearms someone will be safe from a gangbanger, can't argue that. Re-count!

That's a joke.

Jim M

Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2008
    Monkton, MD
    So, I've learned a bit in this thread regarding firearms storage. Some people hide them, so hang them over the fireplace, others put them in a simple storage container, and still others store them in a highly rated, very expensive safe.

I'm just glad to live in a country where we can own firearms, and even get to choose how to store and use them. That is all. Carry on.

hawkeye86

May 15, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Any opinions on building a small cinderblock room with a steel security door in a basement? Again it won't stop someone determined but with alarm and cameras pointed at it it may not be a bad solution. One could fill the voids in the block with concrete for extra protection against a sledgehammer. I was also thinking about one of the high intensity strobe lights on a motion sensor by the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    that would be awesome if you had the space. I would recommend a fan or some dehu provision. face it with plywood to protect the blocks from being shattered.

Hate Work

Nov 29, 2016
    CentralMD.
    Any opinions on building a small cinderblock room with a steel security door in a basement? Again it won't stop someone determined but with alarm and cameras pointed at it it may not be a bad solution. One could fill the voids in the block with concrete for extra protection against a sledgehammer. I was also thinking about one of the high intensity strobe lights on a motion sensor by the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I learned, when living in Florida, "safe rooms" are a truly viable option. They are solid concrete, steel reinforced and can't be drug anywhere. With that said, a chain is as strong as it's weakest link. My solution: Build a safe room, vault door for security, place it behind a false wall and most importantly, don't tell anyone. I have safes in the house that my wife doesn't know exists. There is no perfect solution but we do have an obligation to do our best in securing firearms, money, precious metals, jewelry and important documents.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Here is a good article on buying a safe. I only read part 1, but I think there's 5 parts. Give it a read and see what ya think.

WeldonHunter

Apr 27, 2011
    Louisiana
    I recently bought 2 Liberty Colonial 50s with internal electronics, 6 wand LED lighting and manual Sargent and Greenleaf combination locks (I requested these) after having a so called friend break in while I was out for an hour or so. He only took some ammo and a few magazines, maybe $500 worth of stuff and no firearms which were all hanging on the walls. I live alone and have no children to worry about but this was the wake up call I needed to finally get something to lock stuff up. I did a lot of research and found that any determined thief will get into most safes on the market. I went with the Liberty safes because they're well made, have a good warranty and offer more protection than a simple gun cabinet. I got a really good deal on them, $2050 each delivered into the house. Their enough protection to keep most idiots out. My house is an old farm house built in the 30s in a very rural area of Louisiana and looks a bit run down so I don't think I'll be the target of any master thieves thinking I have anything of real value from outward appearances. I'm pretty sure who it was but can't prove it. There's a lot more to the story including some things missing from my mother's house and her finding him in her house one day. He played it off like he was there to visit her and says he found the door open. I didn't know about the stuff missing from my place yet and we wrote it off as a good friend checking on my 76 year old mother and my 98 year old grandmother. When I found the stuff missing at my place a few weeks later things started falling into place. I'm a good judge of people usually but this one is a real snake and got over on me. No matter, he's been told to stay away. I never accused him because I have no real proof it was him but told him I don't want anyone around anymore until I find out who the thief is. If I could prove it was him I probably wouldn't be able to type this because they don't have computers in Angola. Anyway here's a few interesting links I found on Safes in my research. http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articl...eft-protection/#myth-thicker-door-is-stronger http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/what-to-look-for-in-a-gun-safe/2/#lock-ratings http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/buyers-guide/best-gun-safe/#exceptional-gun-safe These is the ones I got. I'm happy with them. http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-colonial-safes-ps-7.html?tab=specs

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    I wonder how many people won't lock their guns in a cheap cabinet due to waiting to buy a nicer, proper safe. Only to leave their guns out for years while waiting to save up and put out the money for the good safe.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    I recently bought 2 Liberty Colonial 50s with internal electronics, 6 wand LED lighting and manual Sargent and Greenleaf combination locks (I requested these) after having a so called friend break in while I was out for an hour or so. He only took some ammo and a few magazines, maybe $500 worth of stuff and no firearms which were all hanging on the walls. I live alone and have no children to worry about but this was the wake up call I needed to finally get something to lock stuff up. I did a lot of research and found that any determined thief will get into most safes on the market. I went with the Liberty safes because they're well made, have a good warranty and offer more protection than a simple gun cabinet. I got a really good deal on them, $2050 each delivered into the house. Their enough protection to keep most idiots out. My house is an old farm house built in the 30s in a very rural area of Louisiana and looks a bit run down so I don't think I'll be the target of any master thieves thinking I have anything of real value from outward appearances. I'm pretty sure who it was but can't prove it. There's a lot more to the story including some things missing from my mother's house and her finding him in her house one day. He played it off like he was there to visit her and says he found the door open. I didn't know about the stuff missing from my place yet and we wrote it off as a good friend checking on my 76 year old mother and my 98 year old grandmother. When I found the stuff missing at my place a few weeks later things started falling into place. I'm a good judge of people usually but this one is a real snake and got over on me. No matter, he's been told to stay away. I never accused him because I have no real proof it was him but told him I don't want anyone around anymore until I find out who the thief is. If I could prove it was him I probably wouldn't be able to type this because they don't have computers in Angola. Anyway here's a few interesting links I found on Safes in my research. http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articl...eft-protection/#myth-thicker-door-is-stronger http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/what-to-look-for-in-a-gun-safe/2/#lock-ratings http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/buyers-guide/best-gun-safe/#exceptional-gun-safe These is the ones I got. I'm happy with them. http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-colonial-safes-ps-7.html?tab=specs

How are your floors holding up?

Sucks that you lost some goods. Hopefully that was the first and last time.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I wonder how many people won't lock their guns in a cheap cabinet due to waiting to buy a nicer, proper safe. Only to leave their guns out for years while waiting to save up and put out the money for the good safe.

I would hope not many would do this. Any security is better than no security!

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    As a self-proclaimed, multi Sturdy safe-owning fan boy, I read the following article with interest. This was found by clicking on the middle link of the three hi-lighted below.

http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/buyers-guide/best-gun-safe/#sturdy-vs-amsec-bf

Make sure to watch the imbedded vids within the article.
    Cliff notes version- there is no replacement for thick steel- regardless of manufacturer :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom