• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I have a rifle up for sale down here locally, also accepting trades. I'm valuing mine at $1200. I was offered this garand, but I have to admit I know absolutely nothing about them. So whaddya think?

20161108_110245_zpsznbgudk8.png

20161109_194439_zps3spzyzaz.png

20161108_110311_zpszcmxnptu.png

20161108_110350_zpsmsxw1wtd.png

20161108_110332_zps1hwuziir.png

20161108_101032_zps3ma4cpic.png

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Look closely behind the front sight and see if you can find an import stamp.

Blue Sky, Arlington Ordnance, etc. They are VERY small. May be South Korean import.

Look at the rear hand guard too. Looks brittle on the edges. Some of the imports came with mahogany hand guards. Mine did.

Serial number charts show it being manufactured in 1943.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Probably a $600-700 rifle? I think the finish is "Greek black". The wood is also pretty beat up. The lockbar sights are a plus though. The 60's barrels are very well regarded for their accuracy, but that's assuming the barrel is in very nice condition.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Probably a $600-700 rifle? I think the finish is "Greek black". The wood is also pretty beat up. The lockbar sights are a plus though. The 60's barrels are very well regarded for their accuracy, but that's assuming the barrel is in very nice condition.

Thanks. The main reason I posted this thread is bc right after I received the offer I happened upon a wtb thread someone posted on mds for a sub $1,000 garand. To which someone replied that they'd be hard pressed to find a garand under $1k :shrug:

Older guns that have intrinsic value I just don't get. Much easier for me to gauge the value of a modern firearm.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks. The main reason I posted this thread is bc right after I received the offer I happened upon a wtb thread someone posted on mds for a sub $1,000 garand. To which someone replied that they'd be hard pressed to find a garand under $1k :shrug:

Older guns that have intrinsic value I just don't get. Much easier for me to gauge the value of a modern firearm.

The prices can vary a good bit. If that one were offered for sale to M1 shooters and collectors, and those who know about the CMP, it would be almost bottom of the barrel. But if you were to walk around a gun show with it, you'd get a higher price from someone who simply wants an M1 and thinks that any M1 is worth a ton of money.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I doubt that would be that low but there is much that isnt known. Its a WWII serial which is desired by many yes the barrel is a replacement but its a 65 which by some accounts are some of the most accurate usgi barrels out there. It also has the lockbar sights which are worth a fair amount themselves. The stock looks poor but like i sakd there is a lot that cannot be determined from the pictures.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Way too many variables to give you a price. You can't tell by looking at pictures. Like someone has said, for me the condition of the barrel will determine the price as much as parts list. With the receiver out of the stock, what is the condition of the very bottom of the receiver? Sometimes there is corrosion along the edge of the receiver. A picture of a round stuck inside of the muzzle would be nice too. Again, as others have said, look VERY closely for an import mark. Look at the barrel with it removed from the stock too.

As a collector, it's lacking. As a shooter, it will depend on the barrel. So, as you can see, it's almost impossible to give you an exact value of this rifle with just seeing a few pictures.

But if you want to trade for a $10 Burger King gift card, I'm your man! :innocent0

Good Luck!

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Thanks guys. I'm gonna pass on this one and stick to what I know. As most of you said, there are too many variables. Variables that I wouldn't be able to properly critique in person.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Keep in mind also that there is a very real possibility of the bottom falling out of a fairly strong Garand market sooner rather than later with the election results. If the CMP ends up with the rifles Obama stonewalled, the secondary market WILL drop. I think that there is a very good possibility of that happening. I personally wouldnt put the value of that rifle any higher than $800 private sale.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Keep in mind also that there is a very real possibility of the bottom falling out of a fairly strong Garand market sooner rather than later with the election results. If the CMP ends up with the rifles Obama stonewalled, the secondary market WILL drop. I think that there is a very good possibility of that happening. I personally wouldnt put the value of that rifle any higher than $800 private sale.

I want a Garand but if I can't get a decent one on CMP I'm planning to wait a few years for demographics to drive up supply.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Even if the korean m1s come home i doubt that will drasitcally lower prices. Reports have been poor at best plus import stamps lower value.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Oh hell, I didn't even conisder that. All I'd been thinking is the SAFE hearing act might get passed now and now more stupid laws and regulations. Getting a few hundred thousand garands (and carbines) back in to the country and hopefully having the price come down $100-300 each would be awesome!

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)

If you're talking about the Korean rifles, they positively will not come back thru the CMP...

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Finish looked Greek black from the pictures, I didn't say it was definitively.

The CMP wasn going to get the Korean ones because they weren't US property. The Koreans had bought them and wanted to sell them. I believe Orest said that the CMP had seen those and weren't interested anyway.

I'm more interested in what the 800k or so M1 Carbines will do to that market if they were to be imported, even if beat to crap. Those are the ones that were flat out denied import, while the administration relented on the Garands before finally denying them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom