• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I don't know exactly how it happened. All I did was stop at Cabelas to browse. Next thing I knew I was filling out paperwork because this was the last "on sale" Savage they had chambered in 6.5CM. Much like a baby beagle that needs a new forever home...this poor little rifle was in need of a new place to live.

It will make its range debut at this Sunday's Hooligan shoot...

;)

Attachments

• IMG_0425 01.jpg
      IMG_0425 01.jpg
      66.1 KB · Views: 404
    Last edited:

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I know the feeling. I ran into a sale at walmart on a Savage Axis II with an acutrigger chambered in .223 for $180. I whipped out the debit card so fast my wife was shocked because I am very frugal and patient. A deal is a deal. I get it!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    How did you get it to stick to your Murphy bed like that? Nice. What kind of glass did it come with?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Thanks all.

The cell phone pic was in my hotel room last night. Couldn't edit it on my IPad. Here's a better pic with some of the additional loot and the obligatory foot. ;)

This is a rifle/scope combo with a Weaver 3-9X40 scope. The rifles are on sale for $399 with a $30 rebate from Savage. Not top of the line, but if it shoots like my other Savage rifles it will be a lot of fun. Besides, I now have one more caliber to reload...as if I needed that part.

It's time for a range day so I can break in the barrel.

:gun2:

Attachments

• Savage Axis II 6.5 Creedmoor.jpg
      Savage Axis II 6.5 Creedmoor.jpg
      70.3 KB · Views: 536

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Tarzan like. Tarzan want. Tarzan need 6.5 Creedmoor for fun happy time.

Do you mean "Me Tarzan, you... ???" :rofl:

We need to get you to another Hooligan shoot real soon. There are many new toys showing up on range days you have not seen or fired in person...

;) :innocent0

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Do you mean "Me Tarzan, you... ???" :rofl:

We need to get you to another Hooligan shoot real soon. There are many new toys showing up on range days you have not seen or fired in person...

;) :innocent0
    I'm going to try to make a trek up there after it gets warmer. If all goes well, I'll have something new to bring out.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Range Report

I realized I did not post a range report follow up of the Asis II's first outing at last Sunday's Hooligan shoot. Here you go:

We only fired 17 rounds of Hornady Whitetail 129 grain factory ammo. I have several other factory loads to try. The target below is the rifle's first five shots "out of the box" at 50 yards. Not bad. That's about where my Savage Mod 10 .243 started and it's a tack driver with my reloads now.

All of the Hooligans took some shots with the new Savage. Everyone liked how it handled. I can tell you it's loud and has a 5" muzzle jump when fired. Definitely more recoil than a .243, but not anything near some of the rifles we shoot.

4570 clocked the factory ammo on his LabRadar. It averaged 2867 fps. I expect the velocity will drop some in my reloads.

The empty cases were cleaned (of course) and neck sized only with my 6.5 Hornady die. I reloaded them with 139 gr Prvi JB's atop IMR 4064. I use both the bullets and powder in my T-38 6.5 Arisaka and had both on hand. It was as good a place to start as any.

We'll see how they perform next Hooligan shoot!

Stay tuned.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC06272 6.5CM 50 yds 10_09_2016.JPG
      DSC06272 6.5CM 50 yds 10_09_2016.JPG
      55.7 KB · Views: 364
    • 6.5CM Reloads Capture.jpg
      6.5CM Reloads Capture.jpg
      47.5 KB · Views: 366
    • 6.5CM Reloads Capture w Hornady box.jpg
      6.5CM Reloads Capture w Hornady box.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 366