• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    I'm looking to buy a 308 upper. Quality, accuracy, price, availability are my priorities in that order. I don't want to miss a good manufacturer because I never heard of them. I'm looking at an AeroPrecision upper with 18" barrel. I'd appreciate your suggestions. Budget? Around $1K, like to go less.

Gun Met

07 FFL / 02 SOT
    Nov 1, 2015
    Well to toot my own horn I think I am one of the ONLY manufacturers to offer a full lifetime warranty AND an accuracy guarantee of sub MOA. Plus you would be supporting a local manufacturer and IP. We make the receivers right in our shop.

But what I have found is most of manufacturers 308 versions are not 100% compatible between receiver sets. So whoever you buy the upper from I would buy the lower too. Most of the time they don't match up. From what I remember Mega, Aero, and a few others don't match to anyone else's lower. Even my uppers don't work with every 308 lower. Even though they are all DPMS pattern.

Other quality 308 builders:

Mega
    Rainier Arms (pretty sure made by mega)
    Wilson Combat
    LWRC

Not that there are not other but those are ones I have experience with and if I didn't make my own, I would purchase from them.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    This is exactly why I posted. Never heard of you even though I'm close by. I'll be by with my lower. Thanks.

ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD
    I'm looking to buy a 308 upper. Quality, accuracy, price, availability are my priorities in that order. I don't want to miss a good manufacturer because I never heard of them. I'm looking at an AeroPrecision upper with 18" barrel. I'd appreciate your suggestions. Budget? Around $1K, like to go less.

I love my American Spirit Arms side charging upper.

Attachments

• AR-6_5%20II.jpg
      AR-6_5%20II.jpg
      41.6 KB · Views: 232

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I was suspicious at the price point but I ended up getting a 20" Alexandria Pro-fab for my DPMS lower. A .308 upper at that pricepoint scares me a little but I went all over it and everything seems solid, properly staked, nicely put together. They included the testfired casings (5) which don't show any issues of deformity or excessive extraction marks. Well see when I fire it. Unless it knocks my socks off at the range Ill probably get something higher end later and use this as a plinker.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...lexandria+PRO-FAB+.308/7.62X51+Upper+Receiver

XPF30818U8459900.jpg

I don't know what config you are looking for but I have a lightly used DPMS AP4 upper that I might be interested in letting go.

Gun Met

07 FFL / 02 SOT
    Nov 1, 2015
    XPF30818U8459900.jpg

I don't know what config you are looking for but I have a lightly used DPMS AP4 upper that I might be interested in letting go.

I am just curious from looking at the picture. If your bolt has no cuts in the side, how does the forward assist work?

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Please cut me some slack if this is a silly question, but those uppers are for a "standard" AR-15 lower? By that I mean will it work to just pin this to to a mil spec lower and use the same magazines, loaded with .308 ammunition?

Edit: so after doing some of my own research I believe .308 is the AR-10 so no, the AR-15 lower is a no go for that upper. Correct me if I'm mistaken in that.

Last edited:

Gun Met

07 FFL / 02 SOT
    Nov 1, 2015
    Please cut me some slack if this is a silly question, but those uppers are for a "standard" AR-15 lower? By that I mean will it work to just pin this to to a mil spec lower and use the same magazines, loaded with .308 ammunition?

Edit: so after doing some of my own research I believe .308 is the AR-10 so no, the AR-15 lower is a no go for that upper. Correct me if I'm mistaken in that.

The AR10 nomenclature is thrown around pretty loosely. Most of the time it is synonymous with any .308 pattern AR. There is actually 2 main versions with some offshoots and different calibers here and there.

The true AR-10 was Armalite's version and what is called the LR308 was made by DPMS. However, with the similarities they share with the AR15, and most people not knowing the difference, they are both commonly referred to as AR-10.

They are not compatible with one another in terms of just straight swapping parts. They are not directly compatible with the AR-15 in terms of receivers, bolts, mags, and barrels. While certain parts like trigger group, safety, and buffer tube assemblies among other parts are compatible with the DPMS LR308

The key differences to note here would the DMPS pattern is far more popular. This means more available parts and it is typically cheaper than the AR10.

You can search for all the differences on google or on another thread, I didn't want to hijack the thread with a long post that has information elsewhere many times before.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205