• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    i see what you mean. another question, i was told to check my barrel bolts frequently. making sure they are tight is important, from what i was told. do you check the barrel bolts frequently or is this new too? thank you.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Well crap. I just pumped 40 rounds down my barrel over the weekend and treated it like an AR. I hope I didn't do any serious damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    i see what you mean. another question, i was told to check my barrel bolts frequently. making sure they are tight is important, from what i was told. do you check the barrel bolts frequently or is this new too? thank you.

I'm not a gunsmith or an expert, but yeah I check the tightness of action bolts and other screws as well. Usually when I'm doing a complete cleaning. That just makes good sense to me. A firearm encounters a lot of stress when you pull the trigger. Screws can work loose over time. Having the action bolts work loose would likely affect accuracy.
    :thumbsup:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Well crap. I just pumped 40 rounds down my barrel over the weekend and treated it like an AR. I hope I didn't do any serious damage.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prob'ly not. I'd clean out the barrel before your next range trip tho... ;)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Here's your torque specs for the Savage bolt actions. I actually hung this up at my bench because the specs differ by stock type, and my feeble mind can't remember them. :)

https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/e...What-is-the-torque-spec-for-my-action-screws-

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    holy cow, now i have to buy a torque wrench?

Well, you know what they say about over torqued fasteners being already half broken? :) Not to mention your stock, where "just a little bit tighter" all of a sudden gets real loose? That's the feel of "this ain't gonna be good". Turns out that "just a little bit tighter" than too darned tight can be, shall we say, somewhat less than pleasant?

Helps with scope rings and bases too. The smiths LOVE IT when they get to remove snapped off fasteners in tapped and threaded holes.

Seriously, probably the two most frequent applications most will encounter where it's good to have one. They can go a long way toward keeping you out of trouble.

Fasteners aside, those specs can make a very real difference on the accuracy side too.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    lowes, here i come. dagnabbit. very helpful thread. anyone have recommendations on optics and associated hardware? i'm only looking to pull something in at the most, 5oo yards. 50 yards at the closest.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Here's your torque specs for the Savage bolt actions. I actually hung this up at my bench because the specs differ by stock type, and my feeble mind can't remember them. :)

https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/e...What-is-the-torque-spec-for-my-action-screws-

Good input Uncle Duke. :thumbsup:

Here's an example of what a "loose screw" can cause:
    • Yesterday I brought my old Glenfield (Marlin) 30-30 to the range. After firing a dozen rounds fine (and reloading 4 more) the lever locked in its fully extended position while trying to chamber the next round.
    • For safety's sake the rifle was taken off the firing line and bagged with 4 live rounds in the magazine - none in the chamber.
    • Back on my bench priority was to clear the 4 live rounds. Not difficult.
    • With the rifle cleared the cause of the jam was easy to find: The loading spring screw (circled in the pic) had loosened "just enough" to let the loading spring (gate) interfere with the carrier. Was it the screw or was it the loading spring?
    • Rather than have the failure reoccur, the part(s) that caused the issue will be looked at closely and likely be replaced.

My point is, know your firearms well. Know how they work and know what they need to be maintained in the best working order. And (especially) know what to do when an issue arises!

Attachments

• Glenfield Loading Spring Capture 02.jpg
      Glenfield Loading Spring Capture 02.jpg
      57.9 KB · Views: 594

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    lowes, here i come. dagnabbit. very helpful thread. anyone have recommendations on optics and associated hardware? i'm only looking to pull something in at the most, 5oo yards. 50 yards at the closest.

Just by way of mention, these specs are in INCH pounds, not foot pounds common to auto and similar applications. Might want to look to a Brownells say, rather than a Lowes.

One other thought....Black Friday is coming just around the corner, and unless this year is different than past years, you'll probably see some very good sales on firearms related tools in some of the supply houses.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Good input Uncle Duke. :thumbsup:

Here's an example of what a "loose screw" can cause:
    • Yesterday I brought my old Glenfield (Marlin) 30-30 to the range. After firing a dozen rounds fine (and reloading 4 more) the lever locked in its fully extended position while trying to chamber the next round.
    • For safety's sake the rifle was taken off the firing line and bagged with 4 live rounds in the magazine - none in the chamber.
    • Back on my bench priority was to clear the 4 live rounds. Not difficult.
    • With the rifle cleared the cause of the jam was easy to find: The loading spring screw (circled in the pic) had loosened "just enough" to let the loading spring (gate) interfere with the carrier. Was it the screw or was it the loading spring?
    • Rather than have the failure reoccur, the part(s) that caused the issue will be looked at closely and likely be replaced.

My point is, know your firearms well. Know how they work and know what they need to be maintained in the best working order. And (especially) know what to do when an issue arises!

Nice catch!

Here's another example. I very much like Savage rifles. But the last Savage I bought, when I took it to the range, I fired 15 shots off bags. 15 shots that looked like a shotgun pattern. I mean 15 shots sprayed all over the place!

First thought....WTF??????

Long story short, Savage forgot their specs. I figured that out when I noticed that I'm not supposed to be able to move the barrel up, down, left and right in the stock like a flopping fish.

Never torqued at the factory.....it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom