Anyone Use Liquid Alox For Muzzleloader Cast Bullet Lube ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Last month I got a few gift cards for Cabelas. I ordered a bunch or reloading supplies, including the "Lee Modern Reloading" Second Edition manual.

In the muzzleloader cast bullet section - I seen the article about using liquid Alox as a cast bullet lube for muzzleloaders, and how it is superior to traditonal lubes. Ive always used Bore Butter for muzzleloaders, and it served me well, but in the Summer when target shooting - its gets real runny. Alox would seem like a logical choice - since I already have enough of it on my loading bench. Plus the Alox'd bullets can easily be carried in a container when hunting.

I was always told not to use Petro based products with black powder & pyrodex, as it forms a corrosive tar that is difficult to remove. Alox seems to be a petro based product.

Has anyone used it for muzzleloaders, with a bare non sabot cast bullet and did it work for reducing/eliminating lead fouling? Is the residue difficult to remove with standard muzzleloader cleaning chemicals (I use T/C 13). I plan on trying it with my self cast Lee R.E.A.L. bullets.

I may try a bunch next time I get my inline at the range, and see how it fairs up to Bore Butter.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    I use Alox on my Gatling Gun round balls and it works great and in my smooth bore 69cal 1842 Springfield. Never had any problem cleaning or loading.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I tried the Alox on some REAL's and about all I got was a gummed up barrel. I stick to sabots and don't even bother with the REAL's any longer.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I use Alox on my Gatling Gun round balls and it works great and in my smooth bore 69cal 1842 Springfield. Never had any problem cleaning or loading.

Sounds likes its worth a try. Im gonna alox a small container pack of REALs and see how they do. I dont want mess around with Sabots.

The Alox on smokeless handgun bullets works excellent. Ive got zero leading in my barrels with it. Alot easier then messing with a lubrisizer.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Sounds likes its worth a try. Im gonna alox a small container pack of REALs and see how they do. I dont want mess around with Sabots.

The Alox on smokeless handgun bullets works excellent. Ive got zero leading in my barrels with it. Alot easier then messing with a lubrisizer.

I've tried to digest the theory of the REAL bullet and I have to assume these are considered a "tumble lube" bullet from the start ? I have a box full of them and I have no intentions of using them. I did shoot about 20 of them, but, not in to the bullet itself. Nothing against it, just do not prefer it.

I do use sabot, BUT, I only use the Harvester Crush Rib sabots, which compared to the plastic "Green" Knight/Hornady sabots, the Harvesters don't leave plastic behind in the barrel.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Well today I tested out my cast Lee REALs using Alox, instead of the usual bore butter.

Im glad to say the Alox worked perfect! :thumbsup:

I did not wipe down the bore once at the range, as the Lee REALS, clean the fouling when you go to seat them. The Alox'd bullet were no more difficult to seat then using bore butter.

Gave my 700ML a good cleaning when I got home. The cleaning patch actually pulled up less fouling (very little in fact!), after flushing out the barrel with hot water, then using the bore butter on the bullets. Looked down the barrel - and it was nice and shiney with no signs of lead buildup.

The bore butter still will be used to wipe and store the gun for protection like I have always done.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Well today I tested out my cast Lee REALs using Alox, instead of the usual bore butter.

Im glad to say the Alox worked perfect! :thumbsup:

I did not wipe down the bore once at the range, as the Lee REALS, clean the fouling when you go to seat them. The Alox'd bullet were no more difficult to seat then using bore butter.

Gave my 700ML a good cleaning when I got home. The cleaning patch actually pulled up less fouling (very little in fact!), after flushing out the barrel with hot water, then using the bore butter on the bullets. Looked down the barrel - and it was nice and shiney with no signs of lead buildup.

The bore butter still will be used to wipe and store the gun for protection like I have always done.

I wonder if there would be any advantage to double-dipping those REAL's in Alox. Let it dry and then do it again to build up the coating of Alox ?

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I wonder if there would be any advantage to double-dipping those REAL's in Alox. Let it dry and then do it again to build up the coating of Alox ?

I did double coat the bullets, in fact usally you have to with other bullets (ones used in reloading not MLs bullets) when you resize them in a sizing die. For handgun bullets a light coat is all that is needed. But in this case being a ML bullet, I went heavier.

But you also do not need to pack the bands full of Alox lube either - their technically not lube bands, but used to control expansion, and to scrape clean the bore when you set them.

The Alox worked perfect, and makes a day of shooting at the range less messy. No lube allover your fingers and hands, or a lube that runs during hot weather.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I did double coat the bullets, in fact usally you have to with other bullets (ones used in reloading not MLs bullets) when you resize them in a sizing die. For handgun bullets a light coat is all that is needed. But in this case being a ML bullet, I went heavier.

But you also do not need to pack the bands full of Alox lube either - their technically not lube bands, but used to control expansion, and to scrape clean the bore when you set them.

The Alox worked perfect, and makes a day of shooting at the range less messy. No lube allover your fingers and hands, or a lube that runs during hot weather.

Good enough for me. It was just a thought that occurred, I have a bunch of the REAL bullets here, but, I have never shot any yet. I do know that the bands are not for lube, but, I figured maybe that a double-dip or even a triple-dip of Alox might have some advantages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom