• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I'm looking to add a durable and accurate .22 pistol to my collection.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    For targets and plinking, it is hard to beat a Browning buckmark or MK III. Depending on what feels better, the buckmark has a 1911 grip angle, the ruger has a more swept back angle similar to a glock, either pistol will last forever, and are extremely accurate, the Browning has a much better trigger, and the frame is the serialized part, so swapping barrels doesn't require another batch of paperwork. The ruger has about every part imaginable made for it, and IMO is more reliable with a better bolt design, but the barrel/reciever are an assembly, and are serialized. There are lots of other conversion kits and pistols that are similar to service models, and are probably a better choice for inexpensive firing and defense excercises, but accuracy, and reliability seem to be the tradeoff compared to "ground up" 22 designs like the buckmark and MKIII. For an idea of accuracy, typical of a buckmark or MKIII with cheap bulk ammo, this is a slowfired 10rd group at 25 yards with my box stock $350 Buckmark hunter(cheap scope and rings are the only additions), 10,000 rounds so far, and no problems to speak of.

Attachments

• IMAGE_053.jpg
      IMAGE_053.jpg
      81.5 KB · Views: 527

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I like the Ruger MKIII as well, I own one. I would not hesitate to buy the browning though as both are a fine choice for something that will have a longer life than we do.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Don't have a Browning, but they're probably nice.
    I do have a Ruger MKI. Surely later models have improvements, bells & whistles. But if I could only have one firearm, that'd be the one.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm not yet mega impressed with my (son's) Walther P22, but if you want a revolver, I can't say enough good things about the Taurus Tracker model 970.

Buckmarks always get good marks.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    The S&W Model 41 is what I recommend. The advantage is that the trigger is very good out of the box, the pistol is very easy to take down for cleaning, and you can swap barrels in less than 10 seconds if you want. It's a step up from a ruger. How many steps up do you want to go? Pardini, Hammerli, and for about $2500 you can get a Feinwerkbau AW 93 off of Champions Choice.

model41.jpg

R

RavensD

I love my Sig Mosquito, never had a jam when I use CCI minimags.

madmattmd

Aug 17, 2006
    The Frozen North
    For a semi-auto pistol, another vote for Ruger. I prefer the MKII. (I have a MKI also – nothing wrong with the MKIII). If it’s the best you can afford, you will never be sorry. Plus, you can upgrade the livin’ daylights (Volquartsen) out of the Ruger MK series. An excellent value for the money.

If you can afford to move up though, definitely a S&W Model 41. Although they can be ammo finicky (CCI SV), my 1961 vintage beater is more accurate than I’ll ever be. Next to my Father’s Colt Targetsman, my favorite. I can’t say enough good things about the Model 41.

If you’re a revolver person, you can’t do better than the S&W Model 17/617.

Basically, make the trip to a rental range and try out a couple of different pistols to see what works best for you.

Matt

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    How much do you want to spend?

Thats always a tough one. Enough to get the features I want, but not go overboard. I'm leaning toward the MKIII hunter.
    I'm going to take a a look at Bass Pro :omg: in the next couple of days and see what they have on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom