• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I'm gonna wait to hunt the family farm in New Windsor until next weekend. Dont want to make that 2hr drive to hunt in the rain this weekend.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    Planning to get to WV to hunt on a friend's property. never done it before, what do I need to hunt in WV and what do I need to worry about with CWD? It's in Preston County.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'd be using either rifle or shotgun, whichever is permitted.

You've got me a bit confused here. I assume we're talking crop damage permits or such?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Planning to get to WV to hunt on a friend's property. never done it before, what do I need to hunt in WV and what do I need to worry about with CWD? It's in Preston County.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'd be using either rifle or shotgun, whichever is permitted.

I think there's no cwd in Preston county, so no issues there. I hunt in Hampshire county, and we just have to butcher the deer there on the farm. Basically, don't eat animals that look sick, and don't move the spine and head out of the county.

Rifle should be fine, but check with dnr.

I think there's no cwd in Preston county, so no issues there. I hunt in Hampshire county, and we just have to butcher the deer there on the farm. Basically, don't eat animals that look sick, and don't move the spine and head out of the county.

Rifle should be fine, but check with dnr.
    I need a WV hunting license I assume? Does the license cover both buck and doe?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I need a WV hunting license I assume? Does the license cover both buck and doe?

Yes, and it gets you one of each. You can buy a bonus buck stamp, but make sure you do so before the season starts, they don't sell it after. The license is fairly expensive for non-residents.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Who else is out for the opener?!?!?

I’m out and back already. The last time I was hammered this hard by bugs I was fishing in Canada.
    I’ll go back out this evening because I’m a slow learner.

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    Yes, and it gets you one of each. You can buy a bonus buck stamp, but make sure you do so before the season starts, they don't sell it after. The license is fairly expensive for non-residents.

Unless something has changed in WV you have to buy a non-resident license with the Class XXJ license or AAHJ license and a Class CS/LE stamp you are entitled to take one deer during the archery or crossbow seasons, one antlered deer during the buck firearms season, and one deer during the muzzleloader season. You need to buy a doe stamp to kill a doe during rifle season.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    Maybe I’m just lucky or maybe ts cuz I’m 30 ft up a tree but no bugs for me. Some jack wagon was bumbling thru the woods shooting squirrel and I had to whistle to get his attention. Once he figured out where I was he turned around but why TF would you squirrel hunt opening day of archery????

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’m out and back already. The last time I was hammered this hard by bugs I was fishing in Canada.
    I’ll go back out this evening because I’m a slow learner.

Me too. Actually it wasn’t horrible, but I did have 1 or 2 mosquitos every few seconds trying to devour me. No swarm, but in 3 hours I think I picked up 15-20 nice big itchy bites. I pulled on my face mask even though I was dying from heat. 72F seems cool until you look and see that it is 98% humidity and you humped 50lbs of pack, stand and crossbow half a mile, including up a 40 degree incline that is 100ft tall, and then climbed 20 feet up a tree.

At work now. Didn’t see a damned thing. I feel like I see a lot more deer in the evenings this time of year than I do in the mornings. If I am lucky next Saturday I can get out maybe around 2pm till last light. But not if it is going to be so damn humid. Worst comes to worse I’ll arrange a bunch of trips out in early October if I need to.

I think anything over 70% humidity, unless it is in the mid or lower 60s is a big FU to Mother Nature and I am keeping my butt indoors. I can’t ground hunt the area, not with a crossbow and certainly not this time of year. So maybe lesson learned on carrying around and erecting that tree stand. Last year I went out the first saturday in the afternoon and got a big spike. It was also like 78F and about 60% humidity at 2pm. It was about 60F by the time I was hauling it back to my car around 7:45pm

Unless something has changed in WV you have to buy a non-resident license with the Class XXJ license or AAHJ license and a Class CS/LE stamp you are entitled to take one deer during the archery or crossbow seasons, one antlered deer during the buck firearms season, and one deer during the muzzleloader season. You need to buy a doe stamp to kill a doe during rifle season.
    Wow that's quite a few different licenses. They couldn't keep it simple I guess.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Maybe I’m just lucky or maybe ts cuz I’m 30 ft up a tree but no bugs for me. Some jack wagon was bumbling thru the woods shooting squirrel and I had to whistle to get his attention. Once he figured out where I was he turned around but why TF would you squirrel hunt opening day of archery????

I don't think so. Skeeters don't seem to go that high. I rarely got bothered when that high up a tree. Nowadays, I don't start bowhunting until the end of October so, no bugs.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I don't think so. Skeeters don't seem to go that high. I rarely got bothered when that high up a tree. Nowadays, I don't start bowhunting until the end of October so, no bugs.

Me either, not until it cools off and humidity drops. I just encourage our bunch to go and then ask if they got tore up with bugs or not.:)

I may go tomorrow morning though, just because I can.:rolleyes:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Me either, not until it cools off and humidity drops. I just encourage our bunch to go and then ask if they got tore up with bugs or not.:)

I may go tomorrow morning though, just because I can.:rolleyes:

*narrowed eyes*

You sir, are a bad person.

Then again, I probably don’t really need encouragement to do stupid things. Ask my wife (I married her afterall! :innocent0:lol2:)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    *narrowed eyes*

You sir, are a bad person.

Then again, I probably don’t really need encouragement to do stupid things. Ask my wife (I married her afterall! :innocent0:lol2:)

You have the excuse of youth. Doco...not as much...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom