• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22Shooter

Feb 5, 2013
    Alright everyone, I'm looking for your input. What would you like to see in a rimfire competition? Courses of fire, types of targets, prizes, etc. have you been to any competitions? What didn't you like?

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    How about a youth bench rest comp. With two classes. Basic and open, with a weight limit on open. So you dont have big money guns show up.

Make it fun for the kids.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I am not a competitor, so shooting a bullseye with .22 isn't my thing. I like reactive targets. I loved it on Top Shots when they did the gallery and shot jars of gumballs, cans of shaving cream, etc. I shoot .22 for fun, not really target competition, so just my opinion. Stuff like that would get me out into competition.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are many kinds of comps.

Bench rest.

3 position.

Action (like USPDA/IDPA)

Tactical (like sniper, but shorter ranges)

You have to define which major type first. Then decide courses of fire.

I am not much for bench rest or position.

I would be interested in action or tactical matches. In the Comp section, there was a thread about them. I posted some courses of fire I found on Snipers Hide for a rimfire tactical comp.

22Shooter

Feb 5, 2013
    All I can say at the moment is I'm working with a range on hosting a rimfire competition and that we have some companies showing interest in sponsoring the event. Im trying to get a general idea of what people want to shoot. It is leaning more towards a reactive target/speed steel type comp. we want it to be fun for everyone that participates.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    An old school shooting gallery ....... It would give me a great reason to bring out the 1890s and 1906s .

Arcade10.jpg

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    All I can say at the moment is I'm working with a range on hosting a rimfire competition and that we have some companies showing interest in sponsoring the event. Im trying to get a general idea of what people want to shoot. It is leaning more towards a reactive target/speed steel type comp. we want it to be fun for everyone that participates.
    We need a regional NSSF Rimfire Challenge in MD. That would bring everyone young and old out. If Ontelaunee R&GC in PA can get 120 shooters for a regional and 166 for the world championship we should be able to get at least 100 for an event in MD. Then you can look at events like Palmyra's Rimfire Challenge which is a rimfire version of the long running PSA Shootout.
    For a NSSF RC you will need at least 8 or 10 stages evenly divided between pistol ones and rifle ones (If you do a 2-day event you can do rifle one day and pistol the other so would only need 4-5 stages per day). Current rules are 7 steel targets per stage including a stop plate.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Winter Olympics coming up how about a No Snow Biathlon. Instead of skiing between stages either run or bicycle to get the heart rate and respiration up. Makes people appreciate what good athletes Biathlon competitors are.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Not sure how to make it work but I've been interested in shooting a match but given I have a single shot not a mag fed rifle I ca t compete but I have had interest in the tactical matches.

blodter

Aug 28, 2013
    Hagerstown, MD
    I'd love to see some sort of rimfire 3gun match (including the shotgun of course, even though it isn't rimfire). Either that, or some sort of "tactical" competition.

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    We need a regional NSSF Rimfire Challenge in MD. That would bring everyone young and old out. If Ontelaunee R&GC in PA can get 120 shooters for a regional and 166 for the world championship we should be able to get at least 100 for an event in MD. Then you can look at events like Palmyra's Rimfire Challenge which is a rimfire version of the long running PSA Shootout.
    Sounds like an excellent idea.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'd love to see some sort of rimfire 3gun match (including the shotgun of course, even though it isn't rimfire). Either that, or some sort of "tactical" competition.

A .410 or 28 gauge would be appropriate. As long as there's no shotgun reloads during a stage, it would be pretty kid friendly.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    For a NSSF RC you will need at least 8 or 10 stages evenly divided between pistol ones and rifle ones (If you do a 2-day event you can do rifle one day and pistol the other so would only need 4-5 stages per day). Current rules are 7 steel targets per stage including a stop plate.

Not to hijack, but Ontelaunee is still goin' strong? That's great! I used to be a member of Guthsville R&GC as I grew up about a mile away.

Anyway, I"d love to see some NSSF RC around here. I dunno what SCSC's new range/property will be like, but I'd LOVE to see it there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom