• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    growing up we hunted pheasants near chambersburg, pa, dad and i had 16 & 12ga ithaca 37 featherweight pump guns, bottom eject which worked perfectly for me as a lefty. not helping the op, but fond memories and they got the job done, rabbits too.

Yeah, I did most of my hunting as a teenager with a Browning BPS. Heck, was still using it at 25 years old. Took me that long to figure out that I sucked with it on the 2nd and 3rd shots. Way smoother with an o/u or a semi-auto. The mess was really evident the first time I went early season duck hunting and tried to shoot some teal. Good grief, it was pitiful.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus. The Plus makes all the difference. I have shot the A400 Xtreme and like the feel of the operation but shouldering was blah. The Plus version shoulders awesome for me but I have not shot one. I want one.

+1 I have an A400 Parallel Target and the action has functioned flawlessly. The Xtreme / Plus is the hunting version.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    +1 I have an A400 Parallel Target and the action has functioned flawlessly. The Xtreme / Plus is the hunting version.

How many rounds do you have through the gun and how much dirt has it seen from hunting? I really do think the Benelli Super Vinci or even the Vinci is the best hunting shotgun out there. Just no way for that thing to not cycle. I know the weak link in my Beretta 391, Beretta 400, and Benelli SBE. While they are all great guns, the 391 and SBE have given me issues. Not too terrible to fix, and only once with the 391 and twice with the SBE, but they sucked when out hunting.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Benelli is a popular choice but I just don't like 'em.
    Beretta gas guns are a good choice, a 12 gauge w/ 28" barrels sounds like the way to go.
    I shouldered all of the 12 gauge semi's a Shrader's a while back and the Browning Maxus felt the best.
    I too am intrigued by the Fabarm line.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    da606d878a9b6a8f61021e5c5f1739a7.jpg

Big fan of Beretta’s A400 Extreme Unico.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    A300,A400, Winchester SX4,SX3, Maxus,New A5, SBE3. Any and all of these will easily fill the bill. But, all are a little different. Only you can choose.

I own a Maxus and love it. I'm also partial to Browning and Winchester. They are the same operating system, not the A5. After that Beretta A400 is my choice.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Looks like more of a "sporting" model. That adjustable cheek piece could be a PITA in the field, plus it would add weight if your upland hunting.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I would take a drive down to Green Top and get a feel for all of them, then make a decision based on what feels best for you.

Instead of the drive to Green Top go hit Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring MD , They've always had a lot of Benelli guns in stock and it's just a 4473 and off you go

Cabela's has all of the shotguns mentioned, and it's closer to me than either of these two stores. It's just that the last firearm I purchased from Cabela's took over an hour and a half to get out the door.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    So I found this on guntrader: http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1420116/gonew/1#UNREAD Will this work for what I'm trying to do?

That gun would work just fine for upland and duck hunting. You would need to adjust the stock to get it to work for you, but once adjusted properly it would be just fine. It would be like using my Beretta 682 Gold E sporting skeet gun for hunting upland and ducks. I can shoot the gun just fine for skeet and sporting clays, and sporting clays mimics hunting for the most part. I have shot the o/u for doves and killed them just fine. Just never taken it "upland" hunting or duck hunting because I do not want to beat the crap out of it.

I have used my Beretta 391 Teknys for dove hunting too. Again, I don't take it "upland" or duck hunting because I don't want to beat the crap out of it.

I am fortunate to have "pretty" guns for clays and dove hunting, and then a beater or two for hunting. I mainly use the Benelli SBE followed by the Beretta 3901 for hunting. A Beretta 391 would get the job done. I would just cry when I put a scratch in it. Kind of like scratching the Beretta 686.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That gun would work just fine for upland and duck hunting. You would need to adjust the stock to get it to work for you, but once adjusted properly it would be just fine. It would be like using my Beretta 682 Gold E sporting skeet gun for hunting upland and ducks. I can shoot the gun just fine for skeet and sporting clays, and sporting clays mimics hunting for the most part. I have shot the o/u for doves and killed them just fine. Just never taken it "upland" hunting or duck hunting because I do not want to beat the crap out of it.

I have used my Beretta 391 Teknys for dove hunting too. Again, I don't take it "upland" or duck hunting because I don't want to beat the crap out of it.

I am fortunate to have "pretty" guns for clays and dove hunting, and then a beater or two for hunting. I mainly use the Benelli SBE followed by the Beretta 3901 for hunting. A Beretta 391 would get the job done. I would just cry when I put a scratch in it. Kind of like scratching the Beretta 686.

I think I'd get another stock for the 391 for hunting and the pictured stock at the range. Still less than a new Browning or Beretta.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I have a few shotguns, none that I want to change into bird hunting configuration. So I'm on the hunt for a bird hunting shotgun. Specifically for a gas semiautomatic. I would prefer not to have to swap parts out to go from skeet loads to duck loads, but it's not a deal breaker. Useful suggestions will be appreciated :D

Why wouldn't any of the shotguns you currently have get the job done? Or do you just want to purchase another firearm

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Why wouldn't any of the shotguns you currently have get the job done? Or do you just want to purchase another firearm

Of my current shotguns:

One lever-action, 18.5" barrel, no choke and can only reliably cycle Winchester AAs, not magnum shell rated
    One pump shotgun, 20" barrel with no choke, rifle sights, set up for HM 3-gun, no plug
    Two semi-autos, 22" and 24" barrels, 12 and 10 round capacities, set up specifically for 3-gun, no plugs
    One SxS, stock is cracking, not rated for steel shot

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Of my current shotguns:

One lever-action, 18.5" barrel, no choke and can only reliably cycle Winchester AAs, not magnum shell rated
    One pump shotgun, 20" barrel with no choke, rifle sights, set up for HM 3-gun, no plug
    Two semi-autos, 22" and 24" barrels, 12 and 10 round capacities, set up specifically for 3-gun, no plugs
    One SxS, stock is cracking, not rated for steel shot

So what characteristics do you need for upland game and ducks?
    I currently have a Maverick 88 12 gauge with 28" barrel and considering a budget over under next.
    BTW what is upland game?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    So what characteristics do you need for upland game and ducks?

Minimum 28" barrel, rated for steel shot, short enough tube for a plug per game laws, no rifle sights, vent rib barrel, and removable chokes. I could use the 3-gun shotguns for deer, but there's no way I'm jamming something in the tubes to plug them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom