• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    In looking ahead at my firearms future I think my next purchase, although not for awhile, is going to be a .22lr bolt gun. I learned to shoot on a bolt .22 as a scout, and would like to get back to that. Well that, and all my guns are in expensive calibers, and I want to be able to plink more economically.

I'm looking for a basic rifle with iron sights to start and I may make a project of it later on. The Savage mkii seems to have quite a following, but I know Marlin and others make some good bolt actions too.

So what do y'all recommend that's cheap and can hit quarters @ 25yds?

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    i picked up some kinda savage bolt action with composite stock for $80 at a pawn shop and love it.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    When you say cheap I'm going to guess like sub $300. Bass Pro @ Arundel Mills had a deal on a remi Semi-auto .22 for 197$ with a scope for a long time. Probably still do. Came with 1 ten round mag. very accurate.

Now for double that you could get a Savage Mark II TR or TR-SR and a Nikon .22 Specific 3-9x with BDC(which actually works if you shoot notable factory ammo) Mine shoots quarters at 50 too. Haven't had a chance to try that at 100 yet.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Used Rem 5XX .

Ditto 580, 581 or ESPECIALLY a 582. Quarter at 25 yards? Pfft, try a dime.
    2_rifles_remington_582_22_cal._39672.jpg

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    Best and cheap are not usually in the same sentence . A good deal would be try and find a older Kimber target rifle .I think I remember the DCM having them a few years back. I think they were very fair priced. I also agree with MBZ the older mossbergs are real nice shooters and you might find one with some Redfield sights

Last edited:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Check out Gun Shack/Crosswinds in Mt. Airy. They usually have a few in stock. I picked up a mint Winchester 69A there a while back.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Just picked up a Stevens model 84C with Mossberg 4x scope, 10 shot magazine in excellent condition at the Redding auction in Gettysburg last Sunday (C & R), $130. Not a great bargain, but a beautiful rifle--they don't make 'em like that anymore.......:D

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Anyone have one of the new Marlin XT-22 rifles? I hear they're actually made by Remington and have a clone of Savage's accu-trigger.

Also I have like $40 in bass pro gift cards laying around so does anyone know if they carry a basic MKII or the Marlin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom