• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Saw this in Cabela. The 91/30 is a hex receiver but..
    Not sure what to say. They had at least a crate full there of mixed round and hex.
    56f0877ae549f0ca97ddf3ba43429e4c.jpg
    f9fb172f95e7d81022b345f04dcc10f3.jpg
    dd22f54263b65280e621751a32a5f595.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Yea
    I see that every time I go to the one in DE

It’s like they are just waiting for a fool and they don’t care about the inventory value they are holding. Maybe they know to price 25% over market value and wait 3 -5 years for a sale. Even the bubba guns are over priced. They likely got that 91/30 for $150 in trade in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Mosin Nagant prices make me sad. Sadly the market seems to be supporting them. Never would have realized the one i bought for $50 ten years ago would quintuple in value.

Thing is, they arent worth it, not even close. This is, i guess, an example of mass hysteria.

Nagants are crap guns that handle like crap, shoot like crap, and look like crap. And while there is value in being a cheap, heavy hitting rifle....these things arent cheap anymore.

At these prices i will stick with quality US made stuff, instead of Eastern bloc surplus.

surprisinglyminty

Feb 5, 2013
    Those crates of Mosins years back sound like a great idea now...hindsight is 20/20

Mosin Nagant prices make me sad. Sadly the market seems to be supporting them. Never would have realized the one i bought for $50 ten years ago would quintuple in value.

Thing is, they arent worth it, not even close. This is, i guess, an example of mass hysteria.

Nagants are crap guns that handle like crap, shoot like crap, and look like crap. And while there is value in being a cheap, heavy hitting rifle....these things arent cheap anymore.

At these prices i will stick with quality US made stuff, instead of Eastern bloc surplus.

Odd...I guess I shouldn't be able to ring a steel gong at 300 yards with iron sights and surplus Hungarian ammo from the 1970s....Or maybe I just got one of the "good" ones. I bought it from Cabelas for $129 a few years back...

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    It isn't terribly hard to strip one down, clean all the cosmoline and crap out, free float the barrel, tighten up the sights, and smooth out the trigger. While I wouldn't want to shoot a Palma match with a tuned up Mosin, I have seen them driven a heck of a lot further than 300yds.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    I think the prices are due to the milsurp craze and collectors; with a dash of “We want to cash in on this but don’t know how”. Even last year Cabelas was charging an arm and a leg for Mosins.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Even when sog was selling them for $59/69 i couldn’t bring my self to buy any. I did buy 38s, 44s made in 43, Polish 44s. Also some laminated stock 44s. Westinhouse 91. Occassional Finn capture 91/‘30. Haven’t shot them, but they are neat little rifles. Have shot the finn m39...nice. And from time to recent time see these for less than the 91/30 on the cabella tag. The good old days. Cabellas has been very disapointing the last 3 trips and the trips come farther apart. With no purchase.

bbaick

Nov 6, 2013
    I agree with the comments here. I owned a 1943 Mosin 91/30. It was a crude gun, but I loved the history and the heavy hitting round.

It’s sad that all of these once affordable toys are no more. Rising prices often mean increasing demand, which is good. But, we’re losing the entry level priced guns that new collectors used to enjoy.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Hell, I got schooled recently on prices for K98k Mausers. I thought $850-$1K was market and a young'n asked me "Where the heck have you been lately?" He'd paid significantly more than that for an all matching bring back. The downside to living long enough is that sometimes sh*t passes you by..
    When I'm asked what my favorite range rifles are the list is short...
    Springfield M1922
    Ross MKII Military Match
    Finn M28/30
    The Mosin gives me just as much pleasure and satisfaction as the first two which are held in high regard. And I've got a vault with damned near everything you could imagine in it to choose from. It just puts a smile on my face. :D

I agree with the comments here. I owned a 1943 Mosin 91/30. It was a crude gun, but I loved the history and the heavy hitting round.

It’s sad that all of these once affordable toys are no more. Rising prices often mean increasing demand, which is good. But, we’re losing the entry level priced guns that new collectors used to enjoy.

QFT.Look what Nagant pistols are going for now,my first was $99 the second was $119 and third $199 about 4 years ago.:sad20: At least some still aren't too hateful (CZ50,CZ82).

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    There are a finite number of currently importable 91/30s. While the number of 03FFL holders has actually declined overall, the number of new 03FFL holders year over year is climbing last I saw. Lots and lots of guys who spent their teens playing Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, or Battlefield want to experience the reality of firing the weapons they use in-game and thus, the WWII "grunt" guns are the ones that go quickly and rise in price dramatically. Add in the Obama era sanctions on various exporters from Russia and the supplies started drying up. Classic is charging $300 for re-arsenaled round-receiver tulas right now. Shoot, even Chinese T.53's have at least doubled in price in the last 5 years.

The bright side is, not only do all of our C&R arms increase in value thanks to this trend, but it also means a lot of younger guys are buying vintage military rifles and then getting into other areas of collecting firearms, helping to cement the 2A for future generations.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    When I first joined here and saw how interesting they were I was intrigued. Cheap fun shooters. Then my dad mentioned that once the cheap ammo dried up they weren't going to be much fun so I passed. He said the same happened to the Brit stuff and US 1903's etc.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I do enjoy shooting the 91/30 - it's just plain fun. $399 is steep though, no arguing that. The last MN I bought was 2 years ago and I paid $250. It has a pretty dark bore, but it's a Remington, so I figured WTH? Wonder what Cabela's thinks it's worth today? :D

May 13, 2005
    I've been tracking Milsurps for a couple decades now, almost thirty years, and it's interesting to see the prices and trends - always pointed up. I told everyone 15 years back that this was coming. same even five years ago, an I'll say it again - - - ten years from now you will think the prices today were a bargain LOL

There are some that move up quicker than others, and then taper off for a bit while others then climb. But they all always move up in price, not cyclic like modern production guns, they are more of a commodity that goes up and down. There are a few that are 'relative' bargains right now, and also some that are going to level off for a bit and can wait until fall, but you have to track them to know when to get what to minimize the pain. Swiss K-11 comes to mind right now, one can be had for about the price of a Mosin 91/30. Give it 8-12 months and it will climb and the Mosin will still be near what it is today. Give it another 18 months and the K-11 will level for a bit and Mosins will jump up again. Same for most milsurps.

General rule of thumb for milsurps - quit thinking of what they used to be, and care about what they are now and what they have done for the last 6-12 months. Even longer if you really want to get them when they are a 'comparative' bargain.

Not hard to fathom... Limited supply (fixed quantity) and ever increasing demand. Prices (and I mean average market prices not cabellas artificial mark ups) ain't going down, at least more than a couple rebound bumps, ever.

And yes, I have a Mosin that will hit steel at 300 and beyond :) Nothing else quite like that kinda fun. Will other rifles do that? Yes of course, but that's not the point. The point is fun and nostalgia. If the SHTF, I ain't grabbin my Mosin, that's what my neighbors get as my early warning tripwires ;) I also know that for every 40 rounds I shoot through a Mosin, I somehow magically learn a new Russian phrase. I'll be speaking it in no time.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Swiss K-11 comes to mind right now, one can be had for about the price of a Mosin 91/30. Give it 8-12 months and it will climb and the Mosin will still be near what it is today. Give it another 18 months and the K-11 will level for a bit and Mosins will jump up again. Same for most milsurps.

Yup. Just look at the K31 prices over the past what.... 3 years? A $250-300 fine piece of Swiss craftsmanship nearly doubled almost overnight. At the end of the available stocks, $300 got you a bottom of the barrel, no troop tag, beat-to-hell stock that was cracked or straight up broken. Want something nice? $500 is the starting price bub....

I predict that the Arisakas will be the next to climb over $300.

cgs1999

Feb 23, 2019
    Shopping while waiting for HQL

Hi all,

New member, 1st post. Relatively new firearm owner. Purchased WW AR15 online a few months ago for a great price; however, I want to buy my handgun local, if it makes sense, from one of the ranges I frequent in Frederick. These jokers do no budge on price it seems. Do you folks have any advice?

Thanks

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Hi all,

New member, 1st post. Relatively new firearm owner. Purchased WW AR15 online a few months ago for a great price; however, I want to buy my handgun local, if it makes sense, from one of the ranges I frequent in Frederick. These jokers do no budge on price it seems. Do you folks have any advice?

Thanks

Heritage or The Machine Gun Nest?

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Nope, 3rd shot....which was the 3rd time I pulled the trigger...Like I said I paid $129 for it...so I seriously doubt you're going to find a WAAAAAAY better bolt gun for the money...with a rifle that was made in 1943...with ammo approaching 50 years old...but hey...I guess those that can afford a WAAAAY better bolt gun should always look down their pointy little noses at those who might not be able to afford one....Perhaps you should put your tongue back into your holier than thou mouth and keep it there...

$129 is a much more reasonable price. Nothing wrong with that.

The $300-$550 ive seen lately isnt. Thats my point. That is used Remy 7xx money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom