• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halsem

Dec 18, 2017
    Sorry if this has been asked before. The MD State Police website states that SKS with detachable magazine is a banned firearm. Do they mean after market magazines? All SKS's can open the magazine case so is that not considered detachable? Also, are the Yugo SKS with grenade launchers legal given that AFAIK they don't have one of the other banned items (folding stock or flash suppressor)?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Standard SKS unmodified, Yugo, Soviet and Chinese is good to go, it is this SKS-M that is designed with factory removable mags that is banned. Putting a detachable mag onto a Yugo SKS is questionable for example. The rifle is not banned but the conversion to a possible banned rifle has not been tested in court

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Sorry if this has been asked before. The MD State Police website states that SKS with detachable magazine is a banned firearm. Do they mean after market magazines? All SKS's can open the magazine case so is that not considered detachable? Also, are the Yugo SKS with grenade launchers legal given that AFAIK they don't have one of the other banned items (folding stock or flash suppressor)?

I think they only consider SKS rifles with the original attached magazine to be legal for sale in Maryland. Yugo SKS should be the same as any other SKS in Maryland, but I am not a lawyer.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006

The stock SKS magazine can be opened to dump cartridges, like with many other firearms (or for cleaning/maintenance). It doesn't detach, nor is it designed to be reloaded by exchanging the magazine with another. The aftermarket "duck-bill" magazine modification is a detachable magazine design, and is what was targeted by the Maryland 2013 FSA.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Adding to that, you load an unmodified SKS with stripper clips, as with other military rifles of the era. The MD-banned aftermarket SKS setup uses swappable magazines instead of stripper clips. Since the modification tends to cause iffy reliability (feed problems), I wouldn't do it even if it was legal here. Plus nothing looks nicer than a stock SKS, especially Russian. The modification ruins the look.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    So a sks that take ak mags is illegal?

Never heard of using AK mags in an SKS but have seen the duckbill kind. I don't think they are illegal if you owned before Oct 2013 similar to non HBAR AR-15s. You just cant buy or sell them in MD after 2013

As for the mod it wasnt really much of a mod. You just removed the original mag which can be done very simply for maintenance and replace with a special made higher cap version. After installed it still required a tool (a bullet would due) to swap mags. It wasn't like an AR where you just push a button with your finger and the mag drops out. Tapco (used) to make a very good quality 20rd version that I believe could still be fed with stripper clips once installed.

I know some prefer the stock 10rd look but I always felt the 20rd mag looked better. All this talk is making me want to get my safe queen out and take it to the range. :)

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I had a few of the Tapco duckbills before 2013, but found them to be difficult to insert/remove on my Chinese Factory 26 SKS. I chose not to file/sand the stock to fit them.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You can possess a modified one you owned before 10-1-13. You cannot possess one modified since 10-1-13. Never forget the ban law makes possession a felony for a banned gun or configuration you didn't own prior to 10-1-13.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    You can possess a modified one you owned before 10-1-13. You cannot possess one modified since 10-1-13. Never forget the ban law makes possession a felony for a banned gun or configuration you didn't own prior to 10-1-13.

Very good point. If you're just gonna punch holes in paper (which is all I ever do) there's no sense in getting in trouble over it

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Very good point. If you're just gonna punch holes in paper (which is all I ever do) there's no sense in getting in trouble over it

My thoughts exactly. I bought my first one as a prime example of a battle rifle. The second one was a beater to play around with. The removable magazine was an obvious easy mod, but I just didn't like it. Both are in their original configuration, except that the beater now has a scope.

Sting

Member, League the Armed
    Apr 28, 2013
    Rockville
    I think they only consider SKS rifles with the original attached magazine to be legal for sale in Maryland. Yugo SKS should be the same as any other SKS in Maryland, but I am not a lawyer.

Can an unmodified SKS be purchase in another state by a MD resident and brought in or do you have to go thru an FFL? Its not banned. I tried to purchase one at the National Gun Show at the Dulles Expo center but the dealer would not sell it to me because I live in MD. If I bought it would I have had to transfer it via FFL?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    All interstate firearms transfers have to go through an FFL. If you have a C&R you can can pick up an appropriate unmodified SKS out of state, because you are acting as the FFL.

Correct. That said if the dealer was an FFL he was either being ignorant and/or overly cautious. As a long gun you can buy it in an state from an FFL and bring it back to MD. It doesn’t have to be transferred by an FFL in your home state. That requirement is for handguns.

Again, unless you have a C&R license and the item is C&R eligible (on the list or over 50 years old). Then with your license you can buy it anywhere and bring it home as you are an FFL (in regards to C&R items only)

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Never heard of using AK mags in an SKS but have seen the duckbill kind. I don't think they are illegal if you owned before Oct 2013 similar to non HBAR AR-15s. You just cant buy or sell them in MD after 2013

As for the mod it wasnt really much of a mod. You just removed the original mag which can be done very simply for maintenance and replace with a special made higher cap version. After installed it still required a tool (a bullet would due) to swap mags. It wasn't like an AR where you just push a button with your finger and the mag drops out. Tapco (used) to make a very good quality 20rd version that I believe could still be fed with stripper clips once installed.

I know some prefer the stock 10rd look but I always felt the 20rd mag looked better. All this talk is making me want to get my safe queen out and take it to the range. :)

Norinco made an SKS that could take AK mags, the SKS-D(M).

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I tried to purchase one at the National Gun Show at the Dulles Expo center but the dealer would not sell it to me because I live in MD. If I bought it would I have had to transfer it via FFL?

I think I ran into that same dealer. The guy with all the AK’s, SKS’ and the $400 91/30 refurbs?

I asked a question there Friday afternoon and one of the guys basically shooed me off after I mentioned being from MD. Reminded me of the jerk from “Dark Sun”. They’re stuff was overpriced by far anyway.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I was gifted one by my dad with the National Security Forces markings that he had in an ATI folding stock and outfitted with a couple of mismatched 30 round magazines.

Luckily, he was able to find the original stock and magazine. I gathered the correct bayonet, rivet, cleaning rod and kit, and refinished the stock. It is my favorite rifle and I find it is faster to reload using the original magazine and quality stripper clips than to putz around trying to change magazines.

If you need higher capacity and you possess a pre-ban SKS, 20 or 30 round magazines can be reloaded with stripper clips easier than changing magazines, too.

I have found the steel, D.C. Engineering magazine will work with FMJs or HP and function fairly reliably. The polymer Cobray will only function with HP rounds. FMJs are too long and will bind after loading just a few rounds and cause the follower to tilt. It is much less reliable than the D.C Engineering mag.

Nothing beats the standard 10 round mag for reliability or speed of loading, in my opinion!

Last edited:

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    It came about as an afterthought when SKS' were being imported and sold for <$100 through the early 1990's. People wanted a cheap "high cap" semi auto and the duckbill was an easy retrofit.
    The official designation is SKS-B (for Bubba)

Interesting.......... kinda like the M1 "Tanker" that never really existed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom