• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    I recently bought a pair of nice wood grips for my Polish Wanad p-83 from Grips4u.net. They were beautiful grips and they looked great. But when I shot the gun for the first time. The left grip panel broke. When I returned the grips to the shop the owner gave me a laundry list of reasons that they broke. Basically it was somehow my fault. I'm screwed out of $75. After a google search of them I found out that others had also had bad experiences with them. He won't make good on his broken grips. Buyer Beware!!!!

Jul 1, 2012
    There are also lots of people (myself included) that have had great experiences with them.

Once a grip has been installed unless there was some pre-existing crack it would be tough to say it was the manufacturer's fault, so I can see where they are coming from.
    Their return policy also states they don't take damaged items back although there's some contradiction in the terms (we'll take back for any reason, unless of course it's broken).

On two grip sets I got from them I had to do some minor tweaking to get a perfect fit; if I'd tried to install as-is it would have stressed the wood.
    Maybe that's what happened in this case?

These are measured from a specific pistol, so even a minor variation in the grip frame might be enough to cause issues... careful fitment may be required.

<edit>
    let me add that if there's a history of a particular model of gun grip cracking, then yeah, there's a design/mfg issue and he should make good.
    some guns just have terrible grip designs from the factory though (CZ24/27 comes to mind).

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Sorry to hear you didn't like your "Wooden Grips" I got a set from Grips4U for a CZ-82 and just love them.

Yea they not like those Plastic, G10 or Micarta grips you can't tork the $hit out of them, if the surface isn't flush all the way around the grip you going to find the weak spot. I Oil my wood grip's even old one's off a 97 year old 1917 Colt, keeps the wood alive and preserves the character of the wood and firearm.

Did you modify the grips? take any of the wood off the mounting surface of just put the grips on firearm tighten the screw down?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Do you have the pieces? Believe it or not, super glue makes excellent wood repairs. They repairs are often stronger than the wood.

It can be fixed.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I don't know anything, but my first guess would be stress from the grip screws. If the wood grip part is thicker than the plastic grip part where the screw meets the grip, well the screw would torque further down than it would on the thinner, plastic one. I can see where this would crack a panel.

From their installation page. Seems straightforward.

" Clean the frame before installing new grips.

If new screws are supplied with the grips, use them; if not, use your original screws. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE GRIP SCREW(S), as the grips will be damaged when the gun is fired. Grips should be just snugged up, typically no further than 45 degrees after the screw head contacts the grip; if the screw loosens when firing, use a removable thread sealant such as Loctite #243, following the instructions on the sealant package. Do not use a permanent thread sealant as the screw(s) will require heat for removal. Tightening the grip screw(s) until they will no longer turn is the surest way to damage your grips!"

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I recently bought a pair of nice wood grips for my Polish Wanad p-83 from Grips4u.net. They were beautiful grips and they looked great. But when I shot the gun for the first time. The left grip panel broke. When I returned the grips to the shop the owner gave me a laundry list of reasons that they broke. Basically it was somehow my fault. I'm screwed out of $75. After a google search of them I found out that others had also had bad experiences with them. He won't make good on his broken grips. Buyer Beware!!!!

I have an even better adhesive for wood. You're not far from me. PM me if you're interested.

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    I already sent the grips back to that ******* for "examination". He examined them and then basically told me to pound sand. Buyer beware I guess.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Was the wood stabilized? Stabilizing wood goes a long way towards strengthening the finished project.

A certain member here just purchased a 4 axis CNC router for some other wood projects. *Cough cough....ahem*

He is in the process of starting a small specialized fabrication business, and if the market is there, he will be offering stabilized exotic wood pistol grips. Probably 1911 panels to start and moving into other grips as there is a demand. Just sayin...

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Unless he has a background in material dynamics I'm not sure how he is able to tell it is the customer's fault when he looks at a set of broken grips. Sounds from the attitude like one place I'll avoid. I always had good luck with Denis Marschal's grips. Have to wait a little longer for shipping from Hungary but worth it to me. The one time I had a grip panel with issues on a P-64 I wrote him and he just sent me a new set of grips sight unseen.

Stoli

Jan 19, 2015
    I bought a pair of grips for cz - all good - fast shipping and excellent product. Sorry you had a bs experience.

Sent via Mobile

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    Unless he has a background in material dynamics I'm not sure how he is able to tell it is the customer's fault when he looks at a set of broken grips. Sounds from the attitude like one place I'll avoid. I always had good luck with Denis Marschal's grips. Have to wait a little longer for shipping from Hungary but worth it to me. The one time I had a grip panel with issues on a P-64 I wrote him and he just sent me a new set of grips sight unseen.
    I should have done more research before giving him my business. I’m glad your grips worked out. I think if one more person tells me that I overtightened the grips I’m gonna s**t a f***n brick.

Hovarter

Apr 11, 2019
    Should have listened

I had the same issue I ordered grips for my new PPKs the grips looked fine but they made the gun malfunction I took the gun back to where I bought it from they sent it into Walther who repaired it sent it back to me stating that the wood grips did not fit properly. I contacted grips4unet. Who said I had bought the wrong size grips which I did not then they tried to blame me for improperly installing the grips which I did not. I sent them a copy of the receipt from Walter showing where they stated the grips won't fit. Then they told me I had the grips more than one month so they would not refund my money. So I'm out $97 Walther is out a 133, and grips4u will not take responsibility for making a defective product.

Attachments

• 15550124318056646465531388536359.jpg
      15550124318056646465531388536359.jpg
      87.9 KB · Views: 234

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm not excusing any gripes with this company. As a point of info, it is very common issue for aftermarket grips to requiring fitting for certain designs. Walthers PPK's especially.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I had the same issue I ordered grips for my new PPKs the grips looked fine but they made the gun malfunction I took the gun back to where I bought it from they sent it into Walther who repaired it sent it back to me stating that the wood grips did not fit properly. I contacted grips4unet. Who said I had bought the wrong size grips which I did not then they tried to blame me for improperly installing the grips which I did not. I sent them a copy of the receipt from Walter showing where they stated the grips won't fit. Then they told me I had the grips more than one month so they would not refund my money. So I'm out $97 Walther is out a 133, and grips4u will not take responsibility for making a defective product.

Contact your credit card company and begin a billing dispute. They will effectively hold the money in escrow until the situation is resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom